“Great place”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This big old hotel has a great atmosphere. I stayed here for a conference event. Large room on the 15th floor. Clean, spacious and yet cosy and homely. The food was great...most of the time. Staff friendly.

1  Thank Candyapplegreen123
Write a ReviewReviews (3,756)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was the first time that I stayed at the King Edward Hotel. It’s located centrally just east of the financial and theatre district. It’s quite a nice building and when one comes into the hotel, the lobby interior is quite beautiful. The people were all friendly and I was surprised that I was greeted by name several hours after I had checked in and was coming back to the hotel.

There is a bit of a disconnect, however, between the building and the rooms. As I got off the elevator, I noted that wall furnishings and the carpet looked dated and like they could use a bit of a cleaning. The rooms are not spectacular and barely make average. Again, the carpet could have used a good cleaning. I found the room to be rather dark. Turning on all the lights in the room really did not help very much. I have to say that the bed was very comfortable. I rarely sleep through the night in a hotel, but I did here….so that makes up for a lot.

This was also the first time I booked a hotel through one of the online services. I selected a four star hotel in the city downtown core and I got the King Edward. Four star? I don’t know about that….more like 3 or 3.5 star.

One other thing…if you forget toiletries, take a pass on the gift shop. A pack of five cheap disposable razors cost close to $10…better that you walk to a drugstore half a block down the street and pick up your supplies there.

3  Thank buddha
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear buddha,
Thank you for commenting on your experience at the King Edward Hotel. I was pleased to read that you noticed how friendly the hotel team was and that you were greeted by name shortly after arrival. I’m sorry that you found your assigned room to be slightly dated. The hotel is currently launching a very comprehensive guest room renovation plan. We are very excited that many rooms are planned for completion by March 2013.
Thank you for choosing to stay at the King Edward Hotel.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed one night at the King Edward, very imposing foyer and the reception area. The room that I was booked in was spacious and luxurious, and you could run around in the bathroom! There were some issue with the electrical fittings however- the hair dryer would not fit into any socket but one and that one blew when I tried it! the ceiling lights kept flickering and crackling- little things, but an upscale place should be careful lest this spoil their image. The staff were friendly and helpful- especially Tahera - it is not easy to have a pleasant and smiling face at 500AM when i checked out! Thank you! Would like to come in again and stay longer and with my wife and daughter. Maybe sometime soon!

1  Thank manojmp

Dear manojmp,
Thank you for acknowledging the many features that make this hotel stand out. I was particularly pleased to know that our “staff were friendly and helpful”. Please know that hair dryers’ are inspected daily and any issues with lighting and electrical fittings will be immediately addressed…thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the King Edward Hotel. Your patronage is appreciated.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the King Edward for 3 nights. We love this hotel. The location is great, with walking distance to many restaraunts and downtown attractions. Room was HUGE with a Queen bed, huge closets, huge bathroom and shower and bidet. The room was so quiet we thought we were the only ones on the floor. It is very tastefully decorated and clean. I was surprised by other travellers saying it was not clean. There is also a very nice bar at the front of the hotel with great drinks and food.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear foxhntr,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experiences here at the King Edward Hotel. I am glad that your stay was enjoyable and that you are considering us again for future stays. Thank you for choosing the King Edward Hotel.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family of sisters and husbands treated my parents to a weekend at the King Eddy in celebration of my father's 80th birthday. What a disappointment! We were promised renovated suites with access to the Executive floor. The suites were so poorly decorated with outdated, unattractive, mismatched furniture. The bathtub had mold all the way around it and the bathroom accessories were of the cheapest plastic. The bed linens smelled (you know that smell when you haven't washed a pillow case after too long?). The Executive Floor was anything but luxurious; there was essentially nothing available during the day except bottled water and the furniture was threadbare and stained. The evening "spread" was reasonable (crudités, cheese and crackers, savory pastries) but the wine was AWFUL. The concierge that worked the Exec Floor was like gestapo and all but frisked us to determine if we had genuine access to the floor.

The hotel is tired and sad. Hopefully with new management, they can turn things around, but it's going to take at least a couple of years.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Loebi,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the King Edward Hotel and I am sorry to read about your disappointing experience. As noted in your message the hotel is currently under new management and I wish to inform you that the renovation process is being accelerated to address the issues which may possibly be pertinent to some of the remaining rooms yet to be remodeled.

We look forward to seeing you again for a fully satisfying experience.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I enjoy staying at the King Eddy when in Toronto. Arriving at the grand entrance, with a smiling face to greet me is like saying welcome home. I find the staff is very accomodating, and the rooms comfortable. The location is close to the financial district, shopping, restaurants, public transit and best of all, the St. Lawrence Market! I love the ambiance of the bar, and relaxing with a glass of wine before retiring for the evening.

As noted by other reviewers, my last couple of visits have included disruptions in the night with door slamming by guests - perhaps renovations could add some type of "soft-close" mechanism to the doors to prevent this.

1  Thank Connie_TucsonAZ
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Connie_TucsonAZ,

Your comments regarding your stay at The King Edward Hotel are greatly appreciated. We are especially pleased to read that our staff have always been welcoming and friendly. Thank you for acknowledging the many features that make this hotel stand out.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by noise from other guests. Rest assured that your suggestion regarding doors will be taken into account to introduce the best possible solution.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Beautiful Hotel! Service was excellent they treated us well. The room was large with High ceiling, with awesome natural light from the windows and the decor was dated but overall clean.

We had a one night visit, our bed was soft with a dip in the middle so we kept rolling towards the middle of the bed which was uncomfortable for sleeping. The noise in the Hallway was pretty loud and disturbed our sleep: you could hear people opening and closing doors at all hours of night.

High Tea was a highlight, we enjoy our afternoon tea with finger sandwiches, cream, scones, & cookies. Sunday Brunch was expensive at 50 dollar per person but the spread was fantastic and food was excellent. Also, be prepared to pay 14 dollars for Wi-Fi, it's not included.

We may stay there again. We would definitely request a higher floor level and away from the fire escape.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paiger3

Dear Paiger3,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The King Edward Hotel. The comfort of our guests is of primary importance to us and I apologize for your experience with the bed and the noise that rendered you sleepless during your stay. I realize how inconvenient it would have been to move to another room, but if this would have ensured a better night’s sleep, our staff would have been glad to make this change in an expedient manner.

I am, however, pleased that you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea and Sunday Brunch experience and that you found the service and cuisine of excellent quality.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or any of our guest services manager on duty the next time your travel plans bring you back to the hotel so we may ensure a comfortable and pleasurable stay. We look forward to your return visit.