“Old World Charm in the heart of Toronto the Good”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Old World Charm in the heart of Toronto the Good”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In all my years of visiting Toronto, I had never stayed at The King Edward. It is truly a charming hotel, and if you enjoy history, you will find yourself sleeping inside a little piece of it.

My room was well appointed and clean, the view was obstructed, but I was really only there to sleep, enjoy the city, and attend some meetings, so I forgive that miss. The staff that I encountered during my stay were charming, attentive and provided me with informed service.

The Consort Bar is the type of place where you can sit with your drink and imagine the conversations that must have taken place where you are. At the bar, a man I believe is called Stephano is a fine example of a traditional bartender in good form.

When I checked out of the hotel, the doorman thanked me for staying at The King Edward and wished me a good day, unhurried and polite in a way that is rare in our fast paced world.

I would stay here again without hesitation, and recommend this to anyone who enjoys the feel of a truly traditional hotel. An excellent experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CMC613
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear CMC613,

Thank you for posting a wonderful review regarding your experience at The King Edward Hotel. It gives us great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We are also delighted to read that our staff provided exceptional service during your visit creating a memorable overall experience.

We look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Jeff Waters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My second stay at this hotel shows that it meets expectations. Well situated in the downtown core, you arrive and enter the classical hotel lobby and proceed efficiently through check in. Directions are courteous and precise, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable, although not the biggest, but in-keeping with the late Victorian style of the hotel. The bar is beautiful and it is always a pleasure to stop there for a night cap before heading for bed. Will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank skibumal
Dear Skibumal,

We are pleased to know that your stay with The King Edward Hotel met your expectations and that the location and room were to your liking. Thank you for acknowledging the many features that make this hotel stand out.

We appreciate you choosing to stay at The King Edward once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel lobby is beautiful and has very nice architecture. The historical value of the hotel is very nice and that is what attracted my husband and I to stay. We were 20 minutes early for check in so we were told to wait until 3 in the waiting area to get our room since it wasn't ready yet. We went back at 3 and was told it still wasn't ready. We ended up waiting until almost 4pm for our room to be ready to check into. We were tried from traveling from the USA (13 hour drive) and wanted to just get to our room and crash. We thought that was a little off, but the lobby waiting room was nice and we got a code for free wi-fi so we could relax and do some work too while we waited.

Our hotel room was apparently a "deluxe" but it was dingy and tiny. It had a very musty attic smell to it which aggravated my husbands allergies. The room was clean, despite the old smell. The in-room bar and snacks were way over priced compared to other hotels we've stayed at.

Most likely will not stay here again. Didn't feel like it was a good value and the room was just too smelly for my liking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Beandroid,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The King Edward Hotel. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused as a result of the wait to get into your room. Additionally, I deeply regret that the room in which you stayed had a musty smell. We would have immediately offered to switch rooms if we have been given the opportunity to address this problem during your stay. I have discussed this matter with the appropriate department head to ensure that we revisit our room preparations for our future guests.

I hope that this whole experience will not deter you from coming back to The King Edward Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you are in the city so I may ensure a comfortable stay. Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to an opportunity to deliver exceptional experience to you as our guest.

fairfield,ct
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We arrived At the King Eddie (as the locals call it located down town Toronto not far from St Lawrence Market ) was raining and a plump little man in a cap informed us it would be $40 to park I asked if I could park to unload and was told no. I was told that there was parking down the street( I later found out it was the next driveway for $10 a day) So although the hotel was pretty I was already apprehensive, i go to check in only to find that my original rate wasn't cancelled so Gary cancelled them for me and then gave me the correct rate only after I showed him my print out of lower rate quote. There was a problem because I wanted to pay cash so another person was called in and she up graded one of the rooms for my trouble. There was no bell staff that was offered so I dragged my bags to the elevator. Upon entering the rooms I was happy with the size but the carpeting looked to be stained.There wasn't enough information about the hotel features and ammenities eithe in pamplet or staff. I found the wet bar to be locked although they had a deposit. There wasn't a coffe maker but there was something fot intamacy in the snack basket. Because I was alone I would have perfered the coffe maker. I found the beds to be comfortable ( I had to call down to get my requested feather free room which they did quickly),the shampoo ,body lotion ect.. was stinky and not high quality.Here's the thing for the price a person could do better with regards to the service it was hit or miss as the two men that were working on Saturday, and Sunday along with the concierge and front desk working Sat. and Sunday were great The beds were nice and location great but the first day staff was awful and condesending. I would not go back here nor could I reccomend it to anyone else

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had heard about the The King Edward and wanted to stay there for a while. I lowered my expectations when I read some of the reviews, but I was not disappointed. I will say that this is a nice hotel with loveliest lobbies around; they just don't make them that way any more. Room is a little dated like others suggest, but it is big and very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Buffalo Tex,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your recent experience at The King Edward Hotel. It is great to hear that you were not disappointed with your stay. We are also pleased to learn that the room provided the space and comfort desired.

I look forward to welcoming you back for an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

New Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here August 7th, 8th and 9th last month 2012... I stay here because my work is right across the street. I really like the hotel because you cannot take away from how historical it is. The detail is awesome when you see it inside. I ALMOST gave it a poor review but because I stay there often I have a soft spot for them. I was in my bathroom showering and the ceiling fell on me from water rot. Called the front desk and they immediately sent a technician up and put me another room. I was not hurt as it was only a ceiling tile but this place HAS to renovate it is so overdue. Front desk very nice, hotel bar has good scotch when it's even open. Unfortunately I will not stay here any longer as I think I get the impression now that they no longer care.. Sad I really liked this place but they gave me NO choice! If someone from the hotel reads this review they will be able to confirm my story...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HOBGOBBLER
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Hobgobbler,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at The King Edward Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for a disappointing experience. We strive to offer the very best to our guests and it causes us great concern when something like this happens. Rest assured that rooms are currently undergoing restoration to address existing deficiencies that will result to a marked improvement when the project is completed. We hope that this isolated and unfortunate incident will not deter you from returning to our hotel in the future. We kindly ask that you contact myself or our guest services manager on duty when your travels bring you back to Toronto so we may personally make arrangements for your accommodation and ensure a pleasurable stay.

We look forward to your return visit.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We’ve been frequent guests at the King Edward for over 25 years (going back to it’s days as a Trust House Forte Hotel when the hotel had turndown service and its own Mercedes limo) but are unsure if we’ll continue. First, as other reviewers have noticed the rooms are getting tired--our deluxe king room had a pretty banged up desk. On the other hand, the bed was very comfortable and the room has good amenities and an iPod-compatible radio.

Service was a mixed bag. We checked in after 11PM after a delayed flight to find no doorman or bellman. The front desk clerk was efficient and friendly as were the staff at the Consort Bar on two nights—our last night forever service was spotty. The hotel doesn’t have ice machines—not a problem when I called one day and ice arrived under 10 minutes. Not good another evening when ice never arrived.

We were surprised to find the hotel was no longer a Starwood property as it had been one when we booked. I don’t expect Skyline (the new brand) to let us know but believe Starwood should have told us the King Edward was no longer a Meridien. I’m encouraged that the new ownership has two other hotels that receive good reviews and that the building it being rehabbed. Would we return? Probably but it depends on the reviews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TouringLawyer
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear TouringLawyer,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts concerning your stay at the King Edward Hotel. I am sorry to read that the room you were assigned had damaged furniture and that staffing in a couple of areas was insufficient. It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service; therefore, your comments have been reviewed and corrective action has been taken. Additionally, please know that the hotel is in the process of completing some public area renovations with plans to start on older guest rooms within the next couple of months.

We value your continued patronage and sincerely hope that, when you are next visiting Toronto, we can welcome you back to the King Edward Hotel.