“Elegant, clean rooms at a hotel with lots of dignity - but the phone beside the toilet has to GO!”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I worked at the Gooderham Flat Iron building for many years and used to go to the King Edward to buy flowers for my office as there was an exotic floral shop located within the hotel years ago... I would have tea in the tea room and watch the comings and goings of the bustling guests and would dream of being one of them..... dream because at the time I could not afford the expensive rooms!..... Well, I finally got my op and it was really a pleasant experience!~ The service was very good with friendly hotel reception staff, helpful busboys and knowledgeable valets. My partner and I enjoyed our four day stay during the Caribbean festival (Caribana) in Toronto. Though the reception was not very knowledgeable about the area (we were looking for a convenience store which turned out to be not 100 yards away from hotel but receptionist had to ask the manager - who sent us to a 24 hour establishment within a block but he also did not advise us of this convenience store). The food was VERY GOOD and room service items are fresh, hot and served with style! Our room was very clean and had no odors whatsoever - (something I am always picky about)....The decor was French Colonial and very relaxing. the continental breakfast I ordered through room service was expensive ($40) but the service and presentation were superb!...Only the service in the main lobby bar when we went for late nite drinks was less than impressive. I ordered brandy - I was not asked what type of brandy and when I got the wrong one I could not find a waitress so I had to take my drink to the bar to exchange and still the bartender did not heat it nor did he ask if I wanted it heated....these little touches are what make the difference of where I choose to drink my brandy since a $12 glass of brandy and a $52 dollar glass of the SAME brandy is only differentiated by these touches - if these touches are not present in the $52 dollar establishment then that establishment loses points (and tips) with me !!! Since this hotel includes all gratuities and delivery fees with everything it can be somewhat pricey to eat room service when there are so many great restaurants within minutes walking distance. I love the area the hotel is located and now that they have live in suites for sale.....hhhhhmmmmmmm....too bad I am not considering moving to Toronto anytime soon! And - oh yeah - I just disconnected the phone next to the toilet because I kept hitting my elbow on the receiver which would drop to the floor - I kept the phone in the washroom anyway because you just never know!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet but we were not facing the street
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank browngirl0011

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Excellent deluxe contential breakfast and nightly drinks and h'orderves. Friendly staff. Clean and spacious rooms . A lovely location. Staff was friendly and courteous. We love the age of the building. a sign of days gone by . Elegance and Grandeur.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Moi04,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. It gives us great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Booked a week at the King Edward earlier this year and ended up leaving after 2 nights.

When I arrived, power had been shut down on multiple floors due to renovations - this was bizzare but not a huge issue; I was given an executive suite on a floor with no power for the night.

Anyhow, the room itself was large, but old - the bed was low quality, lots of empty space, an empty kitchen bar, etc. Seemed like a large, high-rise version of a Holiday Inn almost. Things, overall, are very old and dilapidated.

When I checked in though, I had a club level included rate - was not given any info, vouchers, or guidance on this. Was too tired to deal with it when I got to my room...and it was dark.

The second day, they attempted to rectify that, but it wasn't very useful as I had missed the time for all their meal offerings/ access and didn't know about breakfast in the morning. Not to mention, they never explained anything about where things are in the hotel (e.g., the gym). Also had to fight to get free internet despite being SPG platinum.

Anyways, the kicker was when I ordered room service - I had a ceaser salad, and specifically requested no anchovies or anything else, such as bacon, be on it. Half way into my salad, I realized there were bacon bits everywhere. As someone who doesn't eat pork, this was appalling. I called back down and was offered a replacement salad? That's it. No concession, no apology, etc.

I checked out the next morning, disgusted. Ended writing a complaint and got a good deal worth of SPG points, but would never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Kal D
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Over 100 years old, first "upscale" hotel in the city. Nice rooms, good view. Center of business district, close to many restaurants and the metro. Concierge was extremely helpful and booked activities for us, made good suggestions, etc.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elle076

Dear Elle079,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad that you chose to stay with us and pleased that you were completely satisfied with your experience. We hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel needs a huge facelift. I stayed here recently was very upset with my room. The bathroom was from the 70's actually with a 70's phone beside the toilet. The view was a brick wall, which I understand happens, however, the windows were so dusty and dirty you could hardly see out. They were very nice and changed rooms for us. Needs a facelift, not worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank spagirl42
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear Spagirl42,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at The King Edward Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am sorry to learn that your experience was not the best. Please know that restoration and enhancement projects are underway which will address the issues you mentioned. In the meantime, we hope for another opportunity to be of service to you and look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

THIS PLACE IS UNDER MAJOR CONSTRUCTION! If you want to stay in an eye sore with loud noises at all times of day then by all means stay here. To make matters worse, the alarm system was being tested so we had twice the amount of noise our first day. I understand when a hotel has to do renovations and fire drills but let guests know that the renovations are through out the whole buiding.

The "upgraded" room was a little room with a window facing an alley. No view, old cheap pieces of furniture and the room had a wierd smell to it. I am shocked that this Le Meridien was not even compareable to the one in San Francisco that we loved!! Big disapointment, but hopefully the when they are finished remodeling it will be more like a Le Meridien.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela G

Dear Angela C,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience about your stay and I regret that we have disappointed you in a number of areas. The hotel is undergoing some enhancement, hence some construction work that is limited only to certain hours during the day. I apologize for any inconvenience this project may have caused. Rest assured that when restoration is completed, the guest rooms will feature a host of modern furnishings and amenities to make your stay more comfortable.

We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back and ensure that your next stay with us is of utmost comfort.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Impossible to sleep cause of train noise feels like you are sleeoing in the middle of the metro station, the building move... Shame cause uts a very nice hotel the room is very nice, unfortunately you need to get out of it early cause of the noise

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank juan Jose K

Dear Juan Jose K,

Thank you for posting your review and I deeply apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. As the comfort of our guests is our highest priority, we would have gladly helped you move to another room away from possible noise sources. Thank you for choosing The King Edward Hotel. Your patronage is appreciated.