“Fantastic Hotel, Horrible Bar”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #7 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The King Edward is our very favourite hotel i downtown Toronto. We love the building, it's location, the rooms and the staff. We usually go out for dinner when we are downtown, but last time we were there we were rushed since we were heading to a concert, so we decided to eat in the Consort Bar to save some time.

We grabbed a seat and ordered our food and some wine. For the next 15 minutes we sat waiting for our wine. The food came, but still no wine....we saw 3 servers all searching for it but nobody bothered to apolagize for the wait. Since we were already eatting we decided to get their attention and order a different bottle. Again they all started searching. The server finaly came back and apolagized saying that they were out of that bottle also. So we tried to order a class of one of their house wines....guess what, they were out of that also!! We just decided to share a quick glass of the cheapest stuff they had so that we could just have a quick drink and get out of there. The server did offer us free dessert after our show, which was nice, but this really shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's unfortunate that the level of professionalism in the bar doesn't match that of front desk.
We will always return to the king eddy, but not again to the consort bar.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BetterWithWine
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Le Meridien King Edward. I wish to offer my sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you experienced while dining in the Consort bar. I have learned from our department manager that on the night you dined with us, we were faced with an unsual shortage of wine supply. I offer this explanation not as an excuse, but rather in the hope that you will consider your experience an exception to our usually fine service. I have discussed this issue with the department concerned and have taken corrective actions to ensure future guests are not inconvenienced in this manner.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove ourselves better hosts on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to ask for me directly if I can be of immediate assistance.

There are newer reviews for The Omni King Edward Hotel

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at the King Eddy twice in the last couple of months. I used Priceline.com to book the room, both times it came to just about $100. The staff were amazing, not snotty at all considering they can see where you book from. (Sometimes I get attitude from staff when they see I used a site like priceline or hotwire.) Both times I got a room with two beds. The second time i really lucked out as the room was massive and had two separate rooms for the toilet and the shower. This was perfect as I stayed with 3 other girls and the two powder rooms were a godsend. The beds at the King Eddy are one of the most comfortable of all hotel beds I have ever slept in. The only downside was that our phone started blaring at 5 AM for a wake up call that we didn't order - that sucked, royally. (Pun intended.)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank danicaaa
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I just traveled to this hotel on business. We reserved a block of rooms and used the property's conference and dining facilities. While the business event went well, the hotel stay was abysmal. Rooms were outdated and DARK! No in-room Wi-Fi available and very expensive wired connection. No Wi-Fi in conference rooms either.

Worst of all, it was impossible to sleep. Both nights, we had a false fire alarm around 4 a.m., which required guests to evacuate in their pajamas. Miserable! While I was understanding the first night, the second night (in a row!) was inexcusable to me. In 14 years of business travel, I have experienced only one false fire alarm -- to have two in two nights was just unacceptable to me.

Overall, not a good experience for $300 USD per night. I won't be going back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear valued guest:

Your safety and that of other guests is of paramount importance to us. While I sincerely apologize for the fact that you were disturbed during your recent visit, we cannot silence an alarm until we are absolutely certain that there is no danger to our guests. Fortunately, in these 2 instances, the alarms were false. Additionally we do not instruct guests to evacuate until directed by the fire department and in this particular case, evacuation was not necessary. We deeply apologize if the message drawn from the announcement was to evacuate. We have also noted your comments about the amenities in the guest room. We recognize these to be issues and hope to remedy them very soon. For all the inconveniences that you have experienced, please accept my profound apologies. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss how we may regain your confidence and positive impression towards us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at contactus.toronto@lemeridien.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you allow us another opportunity to provide you with an experience more typical of Le Meridien King Edward.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

From the second you arrive at the famed King Eddy, you know you've come to a special place - right downtown, old world charm and elegance. The valet and check-in process calms you from a long drive, and your room is spacious and very, very comfortable. The Martini Bar is a great place to unwind and the neighborhood is replete with bars and restaurants for every taste.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CJMcHappy

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Le Meridien King Edward. Feedback from our guests is always important as it helps us to monitor our level of service.

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and sharing the glowing compliments about our valet and front office team. Our Consort Bar is a popular destination for hotel guests and locals alike and we are delighted to know that it provided you an atmosphere for relaxation.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

This hotel is in an excellent location, very central to the financial district in Toronto, and within 5 minutes' walking distance of the CN Tower. The public areas of the hotel are quite well-kept, as you would expect. However, the rooms leave much to be desired. They have old, dirty carpet, molding and rotting floorboards, peeling and musty wallpaper, and horribly dim lighting in the bathrooms. You're lucky if you get a bathroom with a window to let some natural light in, otherwise you won't get anything done in a mirror if necessary. The bed was cozy and plush, which was the only redeeming quality of the room. The hotel photos would lead you to believe that the rooms are fancy, ornate, and immaculate, but none of this is true. Although the hotel is quite famous - and certainly I can understand their efforts to keep its original charm - there are several quality issues with the suites that leave me staggeringly disappointed. The bathrooms were incredibly dirty - you'd expect to see this level of cleanliness in a 1-star hotel, and I do not exaggerate. There was dirt and grime EVERYWHERE - on the light switches, on the toilet, the counters, in the sink (there was a massive, moldy crack in the sink of the room I occupied). I felt quite deceived by the way the hotel lures in its customers with promises of elegance, only to send them off to shockingly dungy rooms. No microwaves, irons/ironing boards in the suites, either. And you must call the front desk for a key to your own mini bar. ?? There is no customer parking. They only offer valet, which costs $30/day + tip. There are several independent lots available in the surrounding vicinity, but none of them are cheaper than $18/day, even for an uncovered lot. I couldn't believe a location which claims to be 4 stars would be lacking so heavily in guest amenities. Would NOT recommend.

Room Tip: This hotel is also often featured on Hotwire.com
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ottawajpm

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience while a guest at Le Meridien King Edward. Please accept my profound apologies for the disappointment in a number of areas that you mentioned in your letter. It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is a major concern for us if our guests leave feeling dissatisfied with their experience. I can assure you that your experience does not, in any way, represent the level of performance of which we are capable and that we provide on a daily basis to our guests. I have discussed your comments with my Director of Housekeeping and re-examined our scheduled cleaning rounds to ensure spotless conditions at all times. Steps are also being undertaken to make sure that future guests are not inconvenienced in this manner. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss the issues with you in detail and invite you to contact me directly at 416 863 3202.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to another opportunity to provide you with an experience more typical of Le Meridien King Edward!

Reviewed June 6, 2011

From the second we walked into the hotel, we noticed the very friendly approach from the staff. Check-in was a breeze and the entrance was very grand.
We had a suite which was even more comfortable than home. We had a problem with the air-con at about 1am and they sent someone up to sort it out strait-away. The breakfast was great, just enough for the day. There is also a fully equipped gym which we used for two of the days, we did not have time though.
We were booked in for five days and I would recommend it to anyone traveling especially with children.
The restaurant staff were always friendly and accommodating to my children. Great stuff!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have been coming to this hotel for some years now and it feels like coming home. Everybody is so friendly and professional. It is always a pleasure to see Stefano and his team in the bar, one of the great bars in the world I know. The rooms are very large and comfortable. I spend a lot of time in hotels, mostly Four Seasons... so I am used to very good service and this hotel has it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank hellmuti
TorontoLandmark, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent experience at Le Meridien King Edward and sharing how our team created a “home away from home” environment for you. Feedback from our guests is always very important as it helps us to constantly maintain our standards of service and improve in areas where necessary.

I am pleased to note of your wonderful overall experience. It is always a pleasure to learn that members of our staff, namely Stefano and the entire Consort bar team, were able to provide the professionalism and attention to make your stay enjoyable.

We value your comments and appreciate the excellent rating you gave on our services and facilities. I look forward welcoming you back to Le Meridien King Edward so that we may once again afford you the warm and friendly hospitality that our guests have come to appreciate.