“Great hotel right in downtown Toronto”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #9 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed at this place for few nights just to get away from home. This is a great hotel with a lot of character and history to it. Located right in the heart of downtown Toronto. Most centrally located attractions are walkable distance from this hotel. Walks away from the subway entrance as well.

The room was well appointed. The staff, including concierge, was very friendly and courteous. Someone was always their to answer your questions or get a cab for you. All rooms may not offer the best view of the city as you may be looking into another building as its in downtown.

I felt this was more of a business hotel rather than a romantic getaway place because of its location and the crowd. However, the perception is subjective so different people feel differently.

Overall, the hotel is clean, well kept, centrally located, luxurious, and lives up to its reputation of being one of the top ranked hotel in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TouringBuffalo

Reviewed May 28, 2011

I agree with most of the prior reviews. The lobby is nice - has computers and a printer to print boarding passes but the printer would not work. Concierge was helpful to help out. Front desk staff very friendly and quick.

Stayed on the club level floor in a junior suite. Old style furnishings and very little natural light. No view except for the brick wall from the building next door (was ok as just staying one night). Bathroom is outdated and in need of remodeled fixtures. The bed was a bit springy but ok. Sheets were clean and soft. Overall was clean but just not a modern feel to it. Also, no wi fi in the room.

The club room/lounge was ok. No one to really help out or explain how to access the wifi in the room. Had to call the operator twice for help. Food/appetizers were ok with free beer and Canadian wine. Also free soft drinks too. In the morning, continental breakfast - cereals, pastries, bagels, juice, etc...

Would stay again if under $200. Valet Parking is $40.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I travel all the time. I've stayed at this hotel many times. Out of all the hotel's in Toronto, I feel that The King Eddy offers a special touch. Plus, the hotel is in a great area that's convenient to pretty much all of what Toronto has to offer. While all the front desk staff are nice, Yungmi is truly something special. Yungmi always makes you feel like an old friend rather than just simply a guest! She always greets you with the warmest welcoming smile, something that the hotel industry is lacking in nowadays! To be completely honest, if Yungmi wasn't working here, I'd probably stay at another hotel.
My only real complaint about this hotel is the bellmen/valet service. Out of all the many times that I've stayed at this hotel, the bellmen are inattentive. My current stay, the bellmen have never even offered to help me with my bags, nor have approached me at my car. I have to get out of my car, walk up the steps, and hand the bellmen my car keys for valet. While they can quite clearly see me, they don't even move a step ( literally). Yesterday morning, when I needed my car, the bellman wasn't even insight. The front desk had to call all over the place to find him. After about 10 mins, the manager went looking for him.
All in all, nice hotel, and if you stay, check to see if Yungmi is working and say hi!

Room Tip: Honestly, being a Gold or Platinum SPG member.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Upon checking-in late on a Wednesday night, we were greeted by very friendly hotel staff. Then we were assigned to Room 910, which by anyone's standards was terribly rundown. The room was dimly lit, the carpets were filthy and tattered along the baseboards. The overall appearance of the room was that of an upgraded flop house.

Again, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful when we went back to complain. They willingly moved us, but I have to wonder why this room is still being given out in it's current state.

Thankfully we were reassigned to room 1553. While this was a cleaner looking room, there was no escaping the obvious fact that the room and the Hotel overall, is outdated, tired and badly in need of a multi-million dollar renovation.

What a shame! We used to hear so much about the King Eddy. I only regret that we did not get a chance to stay here during it's Glory Days!

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed at the King Edward as part of a wedding. The hotel is showing its age with lackluster furnishings, fittings and amenities. Our first room did not have properly working aircon (and the windows don't open) so we were moved to another room. This room was much smaller than the first so we asked to be moved again and were upgraded to a junior suite without asking and given club level access. After this 3rd room we were finally settled. The hotel does show it's age with very dated bathrooms and furnishings and no wifi or free internet access unless you are club level. Even the communal computers in the lobby ask for a credit card which I find low class. Also, we had to complain on our last night due to a raging party that was happening on our floor. Security promptly took care of it but we had to step over 3 sleeping people outside that room in the hallway when we left for an early flight. WOW. Couldn't believe that one. Toronto has many other great hotels in this price range so next time I'd stay elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2011

ok i could write for weeks on this but ill try to sum it up in brief we were looking for a dog friendly hotel in toronto not a easy thing to find #1 they checked the dog in and offered complimentary dog ammenities which was brought to our room free of charge i befriended the coolest doorman ever chris on the first day of our visit i ended up buying him coffee everyday and hanging outside with him we even friended each other on face book you dont get that everyday my wife is in toronto for 6 weekends in a row training her therapy dog with canadian t.v host brad pattison on the second day of our trip after her class she went for supper with the group parked my brand new 2011 jeep wrangler on a street in the shade with the windows down and the dog had water well the police smashed in my window and literally stole her therapy dog and brought it to a kennel where they didnt release her untill the next morning anyway the lady at the front venessa arranged for a cab for me to go meet my wife then when we got back she consoled my brokenheart wife ,comped our vehicle parking so it would be secure overnight without a window she also sent us up chilled beer with a beautiful note shawn the conciearge was amazing as well as dave the bell man was more than willing to help the level of compassion and
we recived here was above and beyond although our trip was one to remember we will never forget the staff here and will stay here anytime we are back in this city i recomend 100% anyone to stay here the history is amazing chris the doorman also informed me that this is the hotel john lennon did his peace bed in in 1969 with youtube research there is a recording of him singing give peace a chance right in this hotel very cool although the toronto p.d handled the situation very very poorly the staff here made us feel so much better about a horrible experience

Reviewed May 21, 2011

Great location for the financial district is the only reason to stay here. Other than this it is a huge disappointment especially fo a Le Meridien in a major world city. Rooms are old fashioned and shabby which I guess explains why there is no in room wifi! Something I thought any major hotel has to offer nowadays to even be considered. There is wifi in the lobby though that they charge a crazy amount for and then it delivers dial-up speed - awful! I will not be staying here again

• Stayed: May 2011