“Torchbearer well deserved....”

Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale
Ranked #19 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Holiday Inn Yorkdale is a rare find...excellent location for business and shopping...staff who are warm, accommodating and well trained...a housekeeping department well above average...the most pleasant surprise was the accommodation for the children/grandchildren...a quaint poolside clubhouse complete with an excellent child care supervisor to encouarge arts, crafts and sporting activities....the young ones loved it!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank BernadetteOntario

Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed here for a week and would highly recommend the hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and very pleasant to deal with. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the heater in my room was excellent. Across the street is a large mall that has a pharmacy, there is a foodcourt if you tire of the hotel restaurant-which was excellent. This is the second time I stayed here and I would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank DHC6Driver
Reviewed January 29, 2009

As a frequent guest of the Holiday Inn Yorkdale I cannot begin to tell you what a wonderful hotel this is. The hotel is located right alongside the 401 and is therefore easily accessible for most of my customer visits in the Toronto area. The hotel is very well appointed and provides all of the modern necessities. The rooms are very clean and have been updated regularly over the years.

The main reason though that I love this hotel is the staff. As a frequent traveler I have stayed in numerous hotels but I have never stayed in another hotel with staff as exceptional as the Holiday Inn Yorkdale. The Management at this hotel provides their employees with the motivation to excel in customer service. From the friendly smiles at the front desk to the incredible staff at the restaurant this hotel provides the standard that all other hotels should strive for. Each week, the management throws a fantastic customer appreciation night. This has become an excellent means of interacting not only with the staff but also with the other frequent guests that share the hotel with me. We share stories, jokes and even the occasional song. This is an event that I look forward to with each visit.

So you may be asking why after staying at this hotel for so long I am only adding a comment now? Last night in Toronto there was a snow storm. When I went out to dig the snow off my car I found that every car in the parking lot had been cleared of snow by the hotel staff. This is a fantastic example of the level of customer service that emanates throughout the entire hotel.

So if your travels ever bring you to Toronto, I highly recommend this hotel. If you do stay at the hotel, just tell them that Alan sent you. They will probably know who you are talking about!

2  Thank Alan_MrPig
Reviewed January 29, 2009

This hotel is our company's choice when visiting Toronto for meetings at our company's Toronto office.

The hotel is actually a little farther away from the work site, and many of us have tried other hotels in the area that are closer, but none of them compare to this one, and we always return and wonder why we tried something else. The staff is incredibly friendly and always fantastic and helpful. It makes our business trips more like visiting our home away from home.

It has everything you need at the hotel - great dining, a pool, exercise equipment, and other activities available, but in addition, just across the street, there is "The Bay" Yorkdale mall with tons of shopping, great restaurants, and light rail access to the city of Toronto.

For short stays or long stays, it just is the best value around.

2  Thank 1rogue_traveler
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Whenever possible I stay at the Holiday Inn and have come to expect a high level of customer service. The Holiday Inn at Yorkdale exceeded my expectations. An example of its exceptional hospitality was the evening reception for priority guests. It offered a laid-back venue to socialize and relax after a hectic day. The guests were from around the globe and the conversation engaging. The decor in the public areas is warm, inviting and calming. You will enjoy your stay.

2  Thank clcotton
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I stayed at the Yorkdale Holiday Inn from 20-21 Jan 09 while on business. I arrived at approximately 8:30 pm and was able to experience the personalized check-in that Priority Club members are entitled to. Once you identify yourself as a Priority Club member you are asked by the front desk staff to check-in through a private room set off to the side. In this room I was met by the lovely Caroline and the smell of fresh baked cookies. Check-in was very friendly and efficient. You are also offered a glass of sparkling wine, sushi and a grab-bag of soda, chips and breakfast bars to take up to your room. Finally, I was also given a coupon for 25% off breakfast for each of my nights stay. Very nice touch indeed.

I was given Room # 1235 in the East Tower which I was led to believe was an upgraded room. This room was on the top floor, was at the opposite end of the elevators and had a balcony facing the Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Unfortunately, I found the room to be a little disapointing as it only had two standard beds (vice queen size), had paint/wallpaper peeling by the balcony door and had smallish bathroom. This opinion is in relative comparison with a room I had in the same hotel six months ago in the West Tower which seemed larger and nicer. Although I am not 100% sure, my sense is that the hotel was fully booked and due to my relatively late arrival, I was given what was left-over. Due to my short stay, I did not complain and accepted the room as presented.

Due to my schedule, I was not able to make use of my breakfast buffet coupons however the coffee bar was very convenient, if not a little pricey. The hotel lobby was very clean and efficient. The waiting area was well appointed with stylish sofas and chairs and the gas fireplace is a nice touch on a cold, winter evening.

I did find the bed linens to be clean and crisp. The towels were new and fluffy. Overall, the room was very clean and quiet. I can see why this hotel's housekeeping wins awards. Finally, I too found the wireless Internet to be quite slow, although it was complimentary. I am not sure whether my location on the 12th floor had anything to do with the signal strength.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to either business travellers or families.

1  Thank NorthYorkian
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I just returned from a 3 day stay at the Holiday Inn Yorkdale. Like many other reviewers, I found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is nicely appointed and the rooms very clean and comfortable.

I was traveling with a baby and as I've done at other Holiday Inns (I'm a Priority Club member and stay almost exclusively within the chain) , I requested a fridge and microwave for my room, necessities for feeding. In past stays at other hotels, these have always been provided free of charge. I was told there would be a 12$/day fee for the fridge and there was no microwave available. When the fridge arrived I was surprised to see how old it was. You'd figure if they are going to make you pay extra, you might actually be provided with a current model!

When I reserved my room I opted for the Best-4-Breakfast rate. Agin, at other Holiday Inn stays, this has always provided me with extra value for money when enjoying breakfast at the hotel restaurant. In this case however, paying the $20 premium per night only resulted in a voucher for $20 off my breakfast bill. Huh???

The staff were all very professional and the hotel itself was quite nice, I guess my gripes are with managerial decisions that leave me scratching my head. All in all a good stay but beware of nickeling and diming at this one.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family