“Excellent Holiday Inn!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Thunder Bay
“Excellent Holiday Inn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for a weekend with my son and grandson. The hotel is renovated and from the reception areas to the rooms, the place is well decorated, welcoming and very clean. We had a room in the West wing with a King bed and pullout couch. The room had a desk, chair and coffee table. There was plenty of room for us. I liked the fact that the window opened for a bit of fresh air. The elevators were also fast.

We enjoyed the pool which was a great temperature at 84 degrees and the pool is a reasonable size. The hot tub was nice and hot as was the sauna (even at 7:15 am just after it opened!). The pool area is bright and appealing. It is off the bar and the restaurant as well as the games area and fitness center.

In the games area, we played ping pong and badminton. There is also a pool table. On the Friday night there were a few children in the area and on Saturday, there were a few more. There were rooms that looked out to the pool and games area and some had balconies with 2 chairs and a small table, while others only had a gated balcony.

On the Friday night, there was a piano player and a singer. The music was wonderful and you could hear it in all the adjoining areas. They also had Christmas music playing on occasion which I really enjoyed as well. The hotel was very beautifully decorated for Christmas.

I prepaid for breakfast on line and my 11 year old grandson's meals were complimentary. We all had the buffet breakfast which was stellar - from eggs benedict, sausages, bacon, pancakes, porridge, scones, yogurt, fresh fruit and much more. The coffee was also excellent!

All the staff were friendly. I initially had a problem with my reservation and Doreen at the front desk righted the problem immediately. Another staff person at the front desk gave us fabulous directions to the new aquarium. Another staff person at the front desk lent my son: scotch tape and a stapler to wrap his presents. We also appreciated the location, a 3 minute walk to the Yorkdale Mall and a 15 minute walk to the LCBO with a COSTCO next to it.

I highly recommend this hotel. I had stayed here years ago on business trips and it is even gotten better over the years.

Room Tip: If you have children, you might like the East wing with a full inside balcony as you can watch the c...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Morjohn
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to be part of your weekend family visit. I am extremely glad that you found the accommodations, service, restaurant, amenities and location excellent - we are here to make your stay as perfect as possible, and it is always a pleasure to see when we succeed, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Armand Abitbol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had several issues with my stay. First of all the name on my room was incorrect. My colleague booked both rooms and I had to request on three separate occasions to get the name change on my room to my name. Secondly, the pop vending machines on the floors were either sold out our would not work with our room keys (minor inconvenience). Thirdly, there was a loud noise coming from the units on the roof outside my room. I admit, these are minor issues.

The major problem I had occurred my second day there. I left for meetings at 8:30 in the morning and returned around 5:00 that evening. When I entered my room I discovered a take-out container on the floor near the table. I can say with 100% certainty it was not mine. I did not eat in my room. I did report this to the front desk, the girl apologized but that was the last I heard of the issue. I was expecting some follow up but never got it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RodWhite
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please contact Crystal Lambert our Reservations Coordinator at reservations@hiyorkdale.com

Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a very nice clean hotel. The staff were nice and also very helpful. The room was fine. There are 2 main complaints: 1) Noise on the pool side of the hotel. The volume from the indoor pool echoed badly into our room during our stay. It was extremely noisy. The noise did settle down after the pool hours ended. 2) Paying for parking. I hate paying for parking anywhere. I understand it in the downtown core of the city but out by the freeway (401) it is a extra grab. I would rather they just charge $10 extra dollars for the room than charge that price for parking.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the to post your comment, All full service hotels in our market, charge for parking, and I’m happy to say that are is the lowest. We do hope you give us another chance to make your stay memorable, please contact us prior to your next reservation, we are happy to block a room not facing the pool, we hope to see you soon.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very handy to the Yorkdale Mall. My wife and I walked over which was much easier than driving. The entrance to the Hotel parking lot is a bit confusing as you drive through the neighbouring car lot but it was reasonbly well marked. Check in went very smoothly. We were given a room on the fifth floor with a small balcony overlooking the Atrium/Pool/Gym/Snack Bar & Restaurant. Very nice. My one complaint was the noise coming from the pool area which went on well after the posted pool hours and even before 7AM the next morning. Fun to see families enjoying the pool but not after 11PM and before 7AM. The room was very clean with a comfortable bed. Free wifi is always appreciated. Nice breakfast buffet and very pleasant and professional staff throughout the Hotel. Will definitely stay here next time we visit Yorkdale Mall which is spectacular after it's recent makeover.

Room Tip: Ask about pool hours if you are on that side of the building.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Don F
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your great feedback. I am glad to know that you were delighted with our guestrooms and pleased with our location., Thank you for staying with us and we wish you and your family a very happy and safe holidays.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

My family booked this Holiday In because it was conveniently located just off Highway 401 and close to the Funeral Home & Church where the funeral service for our aunt was taking place. The HI Front Desk , made us feel welcome and right at home offering Condolences on our recent :Loss. They also upgraded us to the :Non-smoking, Premium Club " floor along with a newspaper and snack packs after our 5 hour journey.
A hearty , nourishing buffet breakfast in the hotel's Monterey Restaurant ( with Egg-Station prepared omelettes/fried/scrambled eggs etc.) and a variety of hot/cold cereals/breads/rolls/muffins, meats & fish , juices, cut fruits, yogurts and plenty of hot coffee strengthened us for the long, sad day ahead. Our empathic waitress wished us condolences and, offered a Priority Club 10% discount for our CA$20 breakfast.
All in all a very pleasant Holiday Inn experience under rather unhappy circumstances...

Room Tip: Request a WEST WING Room as elevators are close to Swimming pool/Spa & side doors to parking lot...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, our staff and the breakfast buffet, we are truly sorry for your loss and our heats and prayers go out to you and your family.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

On first glance, Holiday Inn Yorkdale looked unimpressive from Bridgeland & Dufferin St. The main drive-in entrance is right through a Honda dealer or Tire service lot. Then, the cafe and lounge are almost invisible from the small lobby. Although the meeting spaces looked somewhat outdated, the service was good and the pool and lounge areas were bright and open. The rooms are okay, and it's worth booking if you request a fourth or fifth floor room overlooking the cafe or saltwater pool. Shuttle service regularly takes guests across the street to Yorkdale mall (5th largest centre in Canada) and subway station, which is a brief train ride South to Royal Ontario Museum (Museum subway station) or to Art Gallery of Ontario (West on Dundas from St. Patrick's subway station). If driving, the hotel is located conveniently at the corner of Bridgeland-Yorkdale Rd., which connects just South of the mall on Yorkdale to Allen Rd. S. toward downtown via Eglinton East, or from Yorkdale to 401 East & West (400) highways with an adjacent path to Allen Rd. N. (toward York region's Vaughan through uptown/ North York). It's not 'happening' like Yonge St., but more restaurants and cheap outlet shops can be found some blocks South on Dufferin at Orfus Rd. This is a shopping paradise, and Yorkdale is a hub to everything 'Toronto' along highways 401 and 400 North. The location almost can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property. We look forward welcoming you back upon your next trip to Toronto.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

While the hotel was fine, clean, well kept, etc., The Parking lot is weird, you have to pull in to the dealership next to the hotel then pass into the hotel parking lot.

The hotel restaurant was something to be desired. The girl Nancy, was something other than a savant. I ordered three appetizers. A half California roll. (Had a coupon at check-in) Some bruschetta and a Mediterranean Soup (to die for) Only Nancy brought the one at time and made me wait 5- 10 minutes between each appetizer. Even ordering a beer was a 10 minute ordeal. Now I know being American WE can be impatient. But there were only 4 other people in the whole restaurant eating. Besides the bar keep and the two other waitress.

If Nancy and the cooks could have step up their game the hotel would be a 4 or 5 star. But thanks to slow poke Nancy I ate at the Mall across the street. If you have business downtown, it would be better to stay there. If you have business in Yorkdale. Stay here and try the restaurant. Maybe you will have better luck. The food was good. If not the Yorkdale mall has a ton of tasty venues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I apologize for the service you received in the restaurant. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service. Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. If your travel brings you to the area in the future, we hope you give us another chance.