“Cheap hotel in every way but not as bad...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Hotel Downtown

Comfort Hotel Downtown
Ranked #76 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
San Francisco
“Cheap hotel in every way but not as bad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I just spent two nights at this hotel last week so I thought I would join the crowd and give my thoughts here. I have read all the good and bad reviews before arrival so I was not expecting much, but since I was only going to be here for two nights and the price is cheap, I'll live with it.

The bad. Much like some of the negatibve reviews indicated, this hotel is cheap in almost every single way - from the condition of the room, floor, decor to facilities, you name it. They call this a 3-star hotel but it certainly feels more like a 2-star or perhaps even 1.5 star by some people's standard. The only "polished" area is the hotel lobby so it is easy to get a false impression. I was put on the 10th floor where the hallway looked old, dark and somewhat filthy so I was a bit concerned about the room. However, I was not as displeased as I thought I would be when I walked into the guestroom - the room actually is quite spacious and the beds are clean. Yes it is an older room with absolutely no frill and the bathroom is cramped, but for 95 CAD a night with free internet during the high season, this room is acceptable. I guess you get what you pay for after all.

Now the good. Just to be fair, this hotel is in a fantastic location, only 1.5 block away from the Bloor/Yonge subway station, less than one block from Church/Wellesley Village and about 100 feet from Yonge St. Tons of shops and eateries around the area - everything is just winthin easy walking distance. The Toronto subway system is very simple to figure out and runs along Yonge St. Hence any hotel locates on or right off Yonge St. is a big plus. BTW, if you drive into town, use the parking garage across the street which will I believe will cost you less than the hotel parking.

I agree with many people this hotel is definitely not the most ideal. But if you are looking for a hotel in a fantastic location with a bargain price and basically just a clean comfortable room/bed to sleep in, this is really not a terrible choice as some people suggested here. I will recommend it to people with a limited budget on hotel accommodation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank SanFranExplorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Wasn't thrilled with this place. Cleaning staff are not courteous at all. The way they move things can make them fall to the ground, like they don't care about your things. My friend's perfume was moved in a way that looked like it could fall, and toothbrush was under the mirror on the sink (in a crevice), which you can tell it was pushed there because she was cleaning with a cloth and didn't care to pick it up. Also the inside of mugs were wet, which is weird. This place is not courteous to your belongings and doesn't appear to be very clean. The beds are comfortable at least. Nothing amazing, but relative to the rest it's the only thing that stands out. Wifi is included.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank somegirlwhotravels
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

- They put me in a smoker room even though I'm not a smoker and my travel agency always send my room preferences (they even blamed the travel agency - it is a world class agency and I travel more than 100 days/year and never had this problem)

- The curtains doesn't properly block the sunlight. Forget the alarm clock, you'll be awake anyway.

- The laundry service took 3 days to return my clothes. I had to buy new clothes to use during the week.

- The internet does not work in every room and even in the lobby the connection is faulty

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AleTravelBR
belleville ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

we came to toronto to see Grease at the canon theatre and needed to be close by, we arrived and very unfriendly greeting and then found out a extra 20.00 fee to park in a tiny cramped underground garage which is only first come basis after you pay . you would be out of luck, then our room bathroom not clean and under the edge of our bed the guest prior to us had left a dirty and soiled nightgown. when reported to the front desk, it was an accident, this was not a pleasant experience at all. i would like to say that when we arrived and left if someone had of spoken kindly to us it would have made all the difference in the world.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank terrible69
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

I was put in this hotel for two nights and i hated every second of it. The staff there is completely incompetent. The room was trashy. The bed was very uncomfortable. The appearance of the room was very run down and skuzy. The bathroom was so tiny. I felt very uncomfortable in this hotel. I didnt even want to put my face on the pillow so i slept on my sweater. I decided on the second night that I would rather communte two hours into rush hour then stay there again.
i dread being put up in this hotel again for work...i wont do it!
oh by the way..there site is inaccurate, they do not offer wireless in the rooms. another disapointment

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank kristynlu
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

We found lower prices here compared to the high priced hotel we had stayed in before but this time we'd call it the DIScomfort hotel. One of my colleagues had a room that was so warm he couldn't sleep. He couldn't open the window either. My room was cold almost all the time. There was heat in the rad for about two hours on the first morning but the rest of the time it was cold.. With a snowstorm outside there was a strong, cold wind blowing directly through the air conditioning unit. The floor was very cold. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Canadian_Explorer47
Vaughan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed at Comfort Hotel downtown a party of six and had three rooms. We were very happy with our accomodation which was clean and not expensive at all.The best thing is the location near subway makes it very convenient to go around in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends