“Great value for both convenience and comfort”

Comfort Hotel Downtown
Ranked #78 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights last December for my upcoming finals for university. I needed a place to stay so that my commuting time could be used to study for an extra hour and a half (very essential for when finals come around!).

In terms of the room, the hotel provides everything you need and meets your expectations. I found my room clean upon entering, all the necessary items (toiletries) were there and nothing was missing. Most importantly (for me at least), the bed was comfortable! I was given a suite and the washroom looked completely new. I think the hotel is in the process of renovating parts of their rooms. Looked very polished and clean, loved the finish on the counters.

Since I stayed in my room most of the time studying, I needed it to be pretty quiet. In terms of noise, I think everyone needs to give this into consideration - you're in downtown. Anywhere you are in downtown, you're bound to hear loud sirens and traffic. So I wasn't surprised with that, and so I just filtered it out with my soft music as I was studying, so it was okay.

Also, very important to add, the front desk was so welcoming. Every time I entered the lobby I would be greeted very kindly. Great customer service, they really do listen to you.

I did not have breakfast here so I cannot comment on that, but everything else about this hotel I found the price I paid to be worth it. I came here for what I needed and it was presented to me in a hospitable way.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DS0128
CHDT, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear DS0128,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor following your stay at our Hotel.We are very happy to know that you were satisfied with your accommodation and services.Our suites and business rooms are very popular with university students and corporate public because of the amenities and wonderful Wifi connection.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcome you.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Hotel Downtown

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is an older hotel in central Toronto. The guy at reception was very nice. I asked for a quiet room and got one on the top floor at the end of the hall. There is some traffic noise from Younge Street, but not bad. There was an old-style air conditioner in the wall that needed its filter cleaned, but it worked. The room was very large, but for some reason lacked a work desk. I had to use the round table for my laptop. The WiFi worked okay. The rooms are obviously old but acceptable. I paid $155 per night including taxes on expedia.ca. The Younge/Bloor subway is very close. Cross the road from the hotel, go through the parking garage and cross the next street, and the entrance is there. The subway quickly took me to Union Station and my conference in the Royal York. There are lots of restaurants and stores nearby. If you need an inexpensive place to stay in downtown Toronto and are willing to take the subway, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DavidFromOttawa
CHDT, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear David,
Thank you for sharing your comments about comfort hotel following your recent stay.David , you are right about our convenient location which is with in walking distance to Yonge/Bloor Sub way and various Restaurants, bars, shopping and areas of tourist attractions.
Just for your information we have executive king rooms available for business travellers equipped with Large work desk, desk lamp,King size bed,37'' LG TV,Keurig coffee maker, Free Wi Fi ,Ironing equipment,hair dryer ,Fridge and Microwave,renovated bathroom just for an extra $10.00 per day.Since you travel on business frequently may I suggest to enroll yourself as a Choice Privileges member and you can have access to various promotions and earn points which you can redeem for free stays.You can also ask for a late check out without any extra cost to you.Please contact me at gm@comforthoteltoronto.com to enroll you for Choice privileges membership free of cost.
Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcome you soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went with the family on holidays.
Very good location. Huge room with two big and comfortable beds.
The staff was nice and helpful.
Totally agree with some opinions here, probably the poorest breaskast I ever had in a hotel... worst coffee ever tried...
Just in front there is a car park for 18 CAD/day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear MaDigi,
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion following your recent stay at our Hotel.We are happy to note that you were satisfied with your accomodation and the front desk service.You are right about our location ,our Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Toronto with in walking distance to numerous Restaurants, shopping venues and tourist attractions.
We are sorry to hear about your experience about the breakfast quality.Masa Restaurant is owned and operated by a third party.Unfortunately your travel agent has sold you the basic continental breakfast and that was served by the restaurant against your voucher.However upgrade to full american breakfast is available against additional payment in the Restaurant.We have discussed the issue of poor quality of coffee in the Restaurant with the Restaurant operator to ensure quality coffee is served.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Love the location... You are really walking distance to everything :-)
The staff are stressed, overwhelmed and you feel like they are annoyed with you!!!
The rooms next door are very loud and inconsiderate.... They party all night and don't care if their neighbors need some sleep!! Rooms are old... They are in need for repairs & renovations!!! My room was smelly!!!
You get a continental breakfast with each stay!! You think great!
I have been to several hotels with this included and you don't get a lot!!!
Here you have to go to the restaurant next door.... You have a PLEASE WAIT TO BE SEATED sign when you walk in!!!
We waited 10 mins each time we went!!!! So we walked in and picked our own table... But got told rudely that we were not allowed to be seated there and that we had to wait at the entrance!!
We walked over to the buffet.... So disappointed to see our choice! Brown or white bread! Croissant! Coffee, tea or orange juice!!! No muffins, fruits, waffle machine!! Wow toast & coffee is what you have included with rude staff!!!
I will NEVER COME BACK TO THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Cindy1007
CHDT, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Cindy1007,
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip advisor following your recent stay at our Hotel.We are sorry to hear that you had partiers on your floor . I can understand that how annoying loud music and noise could be when you are trying to sleep.Cindy if ever you get noise of any kind on your floor please call front desk and register your complaint so that the staff can do something immediately.We can ask the offending guest to be quiet or vacate the room and also we can offer you to move to a quieter room on a different floor.
It appears that you booked your room through a travel agent and they have purchased a basic breakfast in the deal.But for a better choice of breakfast ala carte choice is also available.However we do appologze for the inappropriate behaviour of the restaurant staff and that is unacceptable. We have discussed this incident with the owner of the restuarant to ensure all our guests are treated with respect taht they deserve.
We hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed here 6th Sept.Arrived after 5hr drive. Two people at reception. No smile. No "Good Afternoon". The guy just looked at me and waited for me to speak. So 0/10 for welcome. The parking is very limited and all had been taken when I was there. Also the hotel is not especially easy to find if you are driving yourself as it is on a one way street which itself isn't the easiest to access. Not one person I stopped to ask could tell me yet they knew where the street was. Ive noticed some people have said "Old world charm". Im not sure what that world is but in this case I think it must just be another term for 'tired'. Onced booked in I wasn't told about any facilities. The room was ok, as I say "Tired". Main problem was the noise in the hotel mainly coming from room next door. There is no way that the hotel could not have been aware as there were dozens of people coming and going all night. Of the dozens that came and went thru the night I didn't hear one say "Shhh". Just one arrogant person after another left to do what they wanted by the hotel. Don't know if this is a Toronto thing but if you want to sleep spend a bit more and go elsewhere. As pluses, the room was clean and it was central

Room Tip: a good room can be found elsewhere!!
1  Thank cris c

Dear Chris C ,
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay at our Hotel.We are sorry to hear of the inappropriate and unwelcome treatment you received from the front desk on September6. Please accept our apologies for that .Chris, this is not a norm at our hotel and such poor attitude by any of our staff is unacceptable and there is no excuse for that. We have discussed this incident with our front desk team to ensure it never happens again.
On checking our records we did not find any complaints for the noise on floors for the night of september 6. We have no noise policy at the hotel and on receiving the complaint our night manager investigates the complaint and the offending guest is warned. If the noise persists the guest is asked to vacate the room with or without the help of the local Police.
May we suggest if you ever have a noise problem of any kind simply call the front desk and register your complaint in order our staff may attend to the matter immediately.
Thank you once agian and we are looking forward to welcome you.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Big rooms define the property, with an old world charm. Indeed a good value proposition, centrally located as well. Ten minutes walk from Dundas square if you may. And lets not forget....the coffee is great as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
CHDT, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experince on the Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Comfort Hotel Downtown Toronto. Our Hotel is well known for offering generous size rooms and friendly service.The Hotel is conveniently located with in walking distance to most of the attractions that Toronto has to offer.
Thank you once again for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just back from a quick trip to Toronto and spent the last night at the Comfort Hotel. The check in process was smooth, the front desk staff was friendly and the location was perfect to explore downtown Toronto!

It is an older Hotel so the rooms do have considerable wear but everything was clean, wi-fi is free and the value is very good relative to the location. I would stay there again.

Dear Faizal,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your comments on the Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Comfort Hotel Downtown Toronto.
We are very proud of our location as our Hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We are with in walking distance to all the attractions that Toronto has to offer.
We are continuosly upgrading our rooms and facilities in order to offer value to our customers.
Thank you once again for staying with us and we are looking forwrad to welcome you again.