“Nice hotel but some upgrading is definitely needed”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband and I along with our teen son stayed at this hotel for 6 nights, our third stay at this hotel.. This visit was the first time we had our son with us and for the first time we requested a room with 2 doubles and due to the medical convention we were left with the choice of the city scape view deluxe suites @ $258/night. There wasn't much to look at even on the 20th floor and we had the corner suite facing the parking garage entrance and it's frankly no bigger than the deluxe suite we stayed in before at under $200/night.
I loved this hotel which is the reason why we booked this hotel every time my husband had business in Toronto. The location is great, central and only 1/2 block to The Bay's subway station. I'd always loved the little perks even when we stayed at the "regular" deluxe rooms, such as complimentary bottled water, microwave popcorn and packages of chocolate chip cookies. Imagine my surprise when they were not waiting for us in the room upon check in! I called down to ask about the said complimentary items, I was told that when I'm in the city scape suties, the bottled water is still complimentary and will be available with the turn down service (along with the Lindt milk chocolates) but the popcorn and cookies are now a thing of the past. When I told the front desk that I had my son with me and I was looking forward to the treats for him, they promptly sent them up to the room. However, that was only the one time thing. When it's not broken, why change it?
I absolutely loved the Kuerig Kcup coffee maker when we were there in December. Loved it so much that we bought a big one for our household use when we went home. I ran the machine for some hot water when we first checked in and imagine my surprise when the water came out brown! The machine doesn't use filters, it's just a Kcup holder where you fit in the little cup of coffee or tea container for the water to run through. I soaked the Kcup holder in hot water and after awhile, bits and pieces of brown gunk started to flow out. There was a thick layer of brown gunk built up in the bottom of the holder probably from months of use and no one bothered to clean it out. That was gross! When I called down to the desk, it took two tries for them to replace the machine.
This is the first hotel I've ever stayed at that uses standard size double beds. They were pretty narrow for 2 people and apparently all the other hotels provide XL double beds (the kind I have at home for the kids' rooms) and the narrow beds are actually "standard". My fault for not asking before booking. The beds are extremely comfortable, bedding luxurious and pillows comfortable. No complaints there except if you try to get on the beds from the foot of the bed instead of the side, the springs make awfully loud noises. Bed springs need replacing perhaps?
The bathroom is well set up. I've always loved having the vanity/sink separate from the tub/toilet room so we can all get ready separately. Lots of counter space! I can't say I'm happy about the condition of the bathtub and floor. I'd made a same complaint about the Halifax Cambridge Suites where we stayed a few days earlier and imagine my surprise to find the same condition at the Toronto property. The mildewy grouts and the tap chauking is no longer attached to the tiles/wall. The floor tiles has aged and looked uncleaned. The shower went stone cold for a good minute one morning, so cold that I had to step out of the tub. Not sure what happened but it only happened once during our 6 nights stay.
Another nice touch is having 2 bathsheets in this city scape suite but when they're past their prime and no longer fluffy, it's time to retire them. I was quite happy with the smaller bath towels, they're of better and newer quality.
The suite door stopped locking for us one morning as I was leaving for breakfast. Imagine my surprise when I double checked the door and it opened. I closed it a few more times and each time the door opened. I called the front desk and a maintanence man was sent up to check the door. I waited for him in the hall and he was surprised when he noticed I opened the door for him without a keycard. He mustered under his breath that may be he needed to change the battery but after a few tries with his master keycard, he was able to lock the door He then proceeded to lecture me on how to close the door and to wait 3 seconds for the door to lock. I wonder if he would give the same lecture to my husband if he was standing there with the same complaint when it was obvious that I was standing outside the closed door for a good 5 minutes waiting for him to show up. I even showed the bar guy in the hall how many times I could open my door without the keycard. By that time I was in no mood to agrue so I just asked him to replace the battery on the door lock.
The complimentary breakfast is fairly good. It has fresh fruits, hard boiled eggs, "real" cheddar cheese slices, muffins, bagels, waffles, hot oatmeal, fresh juices and a large selection of good quality teabags. Loved that!
We never watched TV in the bedroom until our last night at the hotel and found the remote control not working. I didn't bother to call down to the front desk. It's something that should be checked periodically or daily by housekeeping to save us the trouble of calling for service.
There's no charge for Internet connection for city scape view suites but a small charge for deluxe rooms. Are you kidding? I stayed in 9 hotels during the month of August and this is the only hotel that charges for Internet. Providing Internet should be as common as having a phone in the room so they may want to rethink that charge.
Parking is $22 a day, plenty of stalls if you go past P1. There are 2 sets of washer/dryer on the P1 hallway on the way to parking. $2 per load.
My husband spoke with the management at this property due to my tripadvisor review on the Halifax property. They sent up a bottle of redwine and a $100 giftcard on behalf of the Halifax property which we applied to our account. That was a nice touch and I appreciated the gesture. With the exception of the maintenance man, the staff is helpful and friendly. I've always enjoyed my stay at this hotel but it's begiinning to look it's age and with the cut of perks, it's no longer as appealing to me as before. I give this hotel high rating because it has huge protential and they can certainly make it better if they so desired. The way it is now, it's just one of the downtown hotels.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
CAMBRIDGEGM, General Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Dear swanster,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me and other tripadvisor users. I am glad I had the opportunity to discuss your concerns with your husband while you were here and hope that we were able to overcome the deficiencies you experienced. We promise to deliver high quality accomodations that provide the greatest value in our market; your feedback ensures that we are able to continuosly evolve and consistently deliver upon that promise.

We have recently completed renovations to every one of our suites and hope to continue our renovation program with further improvements to our bathrooms and cabinetry next year. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can ever be of service to you.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

The suite was nicely arranged to handle 3 people. The beds were very comfortable. The service at the front desk was friendly and helpful. When my soon left all his shirts in the room, the staff found them and sent them promptly back to us - which was really wonderful!!
Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear wanderer2000_10,

Thank you for the kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! If I can ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

Positive: The hotel room was large and very nice. The staff was helpful with info about getting around town. Parking is very easy to access. Negative: the breakfast is very weak and you cannot use food coupon for any other breakfast items

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear volgal,

Thank you for the review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our suites, but was disheartened to read that we disappointed you at breakfast. Beginning this week, our breakfast service was relocated to our Portico restaurant. I am sure that the new breakfast offering will more than meet your expectations for value and ambiance. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We went for our 30th anniversary, and were delighted w/ both the suite and the personnel. The hotel is right in the heart of the city so everything was w/in walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear garyandlinda50207,

Happy Anniversary! I am glad we were able to help make this special day even more memorable. (Perhaps this should be a tradition!) Don't hesitate to let me know when you are coming back for your 31st!

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had an excellent two night stay at Cambridge suites.

The staff were superb and couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were spacious, clean and well presented with a very comfortable bed.

Not much more to say. We had a great time there!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Dear AF-Yorks,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Toronto! I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectaions and hope we see you again.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

I decided to stay here based on the reviews prior to our stay on July 17th, and I like that the manager is interested in what their guests have to say on Trip Advisor....From the beginning to the check-out, the staff was professional and courteous. I even got a phone call the same night I made the reservations to explain that their computers were down and that I was going to get my confirmation reservation email the next day instead(very impressed) The room I stayed in was large and comfortable.. We stayed on the 16th floor which gave us a nice view of the city..The hotel does not have a pool, but the spa on the top floor overlooking the city made up for it. The hotel is centrally located and walking distant to the subway and trolley....I would definately stay here again...Toronto is a beautiful city that is clean and safe. Also, the people are nice and wIlling to guide you if you get lost....Just open your map and look confused, and someone will approach you without you asking...REALLY!!!!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HazelEyes67

Dear HazelEyes67,

I am glad you were able to end your Niagara trip with a stay at our hotel. I was even more thrilled to read that you thought it was a lovely end to your trip; thank you for the kind words.

If I can ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

Downtown Toronto hotels tend to be overpriced for what you get (compared to other major cities), and some of the more famous hotels are usually older, can tend to have cramped rooms or in need of an overhaul. There's nothing extraordinary about the Cambridge Suites, but it performs well in all categories. It's a newer hotel, everything works, very clean, and offers some good deals. Also, the location is quite convenient to the financial district and downtown Toronto tourist hotspots.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Trinman80

Dear Trinman80,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I was pleased to read that you feel we perform well in all categories. We strive to lead the market for service and accommodations so if you have any suggestions that would set us further apart, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again!