“Nice Room, Mediocre Service”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 15, 2006

The location of the hotel is great...connects to the underground PATH, one block from the Eaton Centre and Queen Street subway station, and plenty of good restaurants nearby. The suites are a decent size, and the complimentary popcorn, cookie packet, and bottled water are a nice touch with turndown service. Our suite also had a microwave, coffee pot, and teapot. We also enjoyed the hot tub on the 22 floor overlooking the city. The complimentary breakfast each morning was nice which included cereals, danishes, bagels, fruit, juices, coffee/tea, and muffins. (They provide trays to bring the food back to your suite if needed.)

The Cambridge Suites hotel would be a much better place if the service from the front desk and housekeeping departments showed improvement. We had a heavy amount of mildew in the shower, and the turndown service was not finished on two of the five nights we spent at the hotel. The front desk staff did not appear knowledgeable of events or attractions in the area. Many of the front desk employees appeared disinterested in guest service, and they seemed to be overly playful at times. One particular employee was very helpful, and his name was Stuart at the Concierge desk. He was the only employee we encountered who showed genuine interest, seemed knowledgeable, and remained focused on his job.

Overall, we would recommend Cambridge Suites primarily due to the location, amenities, and size of the rooms. However, I would not expect much from the staff members.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank TravelingClayton

Reviewed July 13, 2006

The Hotel was centrally located & allowed easy access to mass transit-Streetcars & subway. It cost $2.50 for a one-way ride but you can get on & off one & transfer to the other to get to your destination for the one fee. On weekends a couple can obtain an unlimited pass for two for $8.00-a real bargain compared to the $2.50/person fee for one trip.

The room was a suite and was very large with double sliding doors separating the bedroom from the living room. There was a refrigerator, wet bar, coffeemaker & microwave. Complimentary cookies & popcorn. The liquor/soda was very expensive. The complimentary Continental breakfast was pretty good. We would definitely go back.

We were able to walk to the Harbor in about 10-15 min. Streets were exceptionally clean and extremely safe to walk at night. People were extraordinally helpful - the second I took out a map to orient myself, someone would ask if they could help. Lots of college students. We went to Chinatown & Little Italy. Chinatown was filled with stores with fruitstands on the sidewalk all with excellent bargains. Nowhere really good to eat though. LIttle Italy was nothing like NYC's version in that there were a lot less restaurants & further spread out. We ate at Capitol Trattoria & Pizzeria at 597 College St. which has a very nice sidewalk cafe. The canneloni was excellent and the veal marsala was very good.

5  Thank f342434
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We just returned from our 2nd stay at Cambridge Suites Toronto. We were given a standard room which was a bit dark because it was facing another building, so we told the staff we weren't really happy with it & they graciously arranged for us to have another room with a very pleasant bright view. They couldn't have been nicer & more accomodating. I'm puzzled by the negative reviews because we've found it to be a very nice place to stay with a very convenient location. Oh .. and did I mention great Thai food just a block away at Golden Thai??!!! When we needed an extra wine glass ... or a lime sliced .. they were right there & expeditiusly handled our request. I can comfortably recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank PaErie
toronto
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Big Disappointment, I frequent Toronto often for business and chose the Cambridge Suites this time. It was a big disappointment to say the least. Run down rooms with a weird smell in them. The staff were the least friendly out of any hotel I've stayed at ( Believe me many !) When I callled Room service it took forever and was fast food like as well when I called reception I was left on hold for over 5 minutes. When the front desk staff finally came back on the line, I asked him why he put me on hold for long and he replied in a snarky tone "Because sir, You are not the only one that we need to attend to" I got off the phone and decided to solve the issue for myself as obviously helping guests is out of the question for the staff at the Cambridge Suites!! I would warn any one who is looking to stay there in the future not to....There are many other wonderful hotels in the area don't waste your time and money you will be very disappointed.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2006

What a dissapointment. I chose to stay here after reading the reviews on trip advisor. Where the people who wrote the reviews family members to the hotel because nothing of what was raved about was at all seen during my stay! From the outside it looks like a classy elegant hotel. However not that way in the inside. The staff were ICE COLD and had no professional etiqutte what so ever. The rooms are old and very warn down (whoever said beautiful must be blind!) This is a low budget hotel with a nice outside face.Don't be tricked by this...... Trust me....You can do much better for that rate. And thank you once again to the Lovely staff who take so much pride in the hotel and customer service (YEAH RIGHT) it put a damper on my entire visit in T.O.... NEVER AGAIN CAMBRIDGE SUITeS

11  Thank JDP1232
Ottawa
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Nothing overwhelming, but we enjoyed our night at the Cambridge. The area and hotel are safe and the rooms are clean. Good location and staff knew what they were doing. Overall I would recommend this hotel to just about anyone.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
Reviewed June 6, 2006

We spent a weekend in Toronto as a getaway and loved every second of our stay at the Cambridge Suite Hotel. The price was extremely reasonable, considering the location (downtown Toronto, close to ALL amenities and subway), the safety of the hotel and the size of the suite. The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful. The suite was clean and the mini-bar well-stocked when we arrived. Some could complain about the view (we looked directly into the windows of an office building) but to be honest, our trip was about the CITY, not the room. I would recommend this to any visitor in a heartbeat.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member