“Great experience”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Just returned from my trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls. I stayed at the Cambridge Suites for the Toronto portion and attended a conference during that time. The overall experience was great and I really enjoyed the hotel.

The rooms are nice, not overly spacious, but have good amenities such as a refrigerator, microwave, and dishes. The staff was very nice, courteous, and helpful. Jennifer, the concierge, is extremely helpful and goes above and beyond to help you. They provide a continental breakfast in the morning that you can either eat in the breakfast room or have delivered to your suite -- we did both.

The rooms were very quiet and there was no street noise, even though you are very close to the street (we were on the 4th floor). The location is ideal in the downtown area and allows you to walk to Eaton Centre and some of the other places in downtown. We walked to Richtree Market in the BCE Place, Mr. Greenjeans in Eaton Centre, and Sunset Grill for breakfast.

One tip: there is a Manager's reception on Wednesday evenings from 5:00 to 7:00. They provide appetizers and beer and wine. Its a pretty decent selection and they serve wines from Peller Estates in Niagara on the Lake. It was a nice experience and we were lucky to be there on that day.

The Cambridge Suites is a nice oasis in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city of Toronto. All in all, I think it was one of the best hotel experiences I have had and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
20  Thank lomo
There are newer reviews for Cambridge Suites Toronto

Reviewed June 21, 2005

We stayed 5 nights while attending a conference. The suite was a little less spacious than I had expected, but it was still very comfortable. We very much enjoyed the continental breakfasts (with big pots of hot water and coffee) delivered free to the room, with real silverware and cloth napkins - such a civilized service. And it's nice to have a microwave, sink, and fridge. The bathroom/dressing area was quite large, and the bed comfortable. Our room was clean and housekeeping was very responsive and thorough.

The hotel was a bit farther away from the convention center than I had thought (my own fault) but otherwise it's very nicely situated. All in all, I prefer a good smaller hotel over the large chain hotels. If you seek a quieter, more intimate hotel experience with great amenities, Cambridge Suites is for you.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
16  Thank Okemosian
Reviewed June 14, 2005

Maybe it is just by comparison, but I didn't find the Cambridge Suites exceptional at all. The desk staff was "efficient and pleasant" not necessarily friendly or helpful. I would describe the room about the same, efficient and pleasant. I found it very odd that they have so many different people coming into your room at all hours of the day and evening. One makes the bed, one checks the mini-bar, one fills the free coffee/tea/cookies. One brings creamer and water, and finally one turns down the bed in the evening. I found it a bit unnerving having that many strangers coming and going from my room. Maybe that is just me!!!

I would have liked to have seen the concierge at the desk in the lobby more often, or the front desk staff cross trained to perform that task when necessary. We went a couple of times in the morning and had no luck, but in the afternoon, after we had been out most of the day on our own, then there was someone there. The hotel was clean and relatively quiet, but it seemed to be more of a business hotel than a tourist/family hotel.

I probably would not return to Cambridge Suites.... maybe my expectations were too high based on its ratings here.

9  Thank RICHnCALongBeach_CA
Reviewed June 14, 2005

We arrived home yesterday after spending 5 nights at the Cambridge Suites and we had a wonderful time. It was a special occasion, my husband's 40th and the staff on the front desk sent him up a birthday card and 2 wonderful plates of fresh fruit and cheeses as a way of wishing him a happy birthday.

The room was immaculate and everything you could ever want to make an enjoyable stay was provided. The staff were friendly and helpful and went out of their way to assist in anyway possible. The breakfast was lovely, plentiful and fresh and certainly carried us well into the day before we even began to think about food again.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here and with the added bonus that Niagara Falls was just over an hours drive away - what a wonderful place to spend your 40th birthday - we can certainly recommend this hotel highly and we would definately stay in the Cambridge Suites if ever we visit Toronto again.

11  Thank Maxine37
fl
Reviewed June 12, 2005

We stayed at Cambridge Suites for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The location is perfect, with half a block away from a mall and a subway station and tons of shops and restaurants nearby. The continental breakfast is limited in variety, but very fresh and promptly refilled. What sets this hotel apart from its peers are the little things indicating a nice caring human touch: small notes forecasting the next day's weather, complimentary bottled water in the afternoon, etc.

If we really have to nitpick, TVs in our rooms are both very dated with distorted colors. Then again, TV watching was not the highlight of our stay ;-)

In summary, we highly recommend this hotel and will definitely put it on the top of the list for our next stay in Toronto.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We have just returned from a six night break to the cambridge suites it was hard to find fault with this hotel. As a family of four with two nearly teenage children the extra room provided in the suite was wonderful. The bedroom area could be closed off to enable kids to sleep, while we relaxed with a beer and T.V. or books. (tip if you dont want to use the mini bar then go to the LCBO store on Dundass / Younge, and stock up your in room fridge.) This hotel is well situated we walked everywhere as we had not hired a car, nowhere was far to go, CN tower, ferry to Islands, shopping, St lawrence market (wonderfull fresh produce), street cars, subway, and Path all within easy reach.

I picked this hotel after reading other reports on this site and was not dissapointed. the only very minor fault was there was no milk for coffee in the fridge, however one phone call and it soon arrived. A Little touch that made our stay, was the evening bed turn down,with chocolates and complmentary bottles of water, plus the next days weather forcast to help you plan your day. The breakfast was always fresh and constantly topped up, providing a good start to the day, we rarely had lunch as we were still full. the bathroom was lovely and clean and always had lots of hot water. The room was also very quiet we never heard any noise from the adjacent or overhead suites.

the Staff were all helpful and polite, we also extended our check out time by an hour to 3pm which meant we arrived at the airport freshly showered and unflustered for our evening flight home. Other hotels i considered were the delta chelsea and the novotel, i definately made the right choice. If we go to toronto again we will stay here.

Eating out was great so much choice our kids loved eating at the old spaghetti factory (the Esplanade near the Novotel) dont be put off by the outside, it is wonderfull inside great meals ,good value for money as well. they also enjoyed the Armadillo Grill on front street west super ribs and tex mex food and an in house magician who visited the table he was brilliant.
we had a fantastic time in toronto and loved the cambridge

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed June 9, 2005

I decided to stay at the Cambridge Suites Hotel in Toronto based on the reviews here and I have to stay I was not dissappointed. I stayed from the 27th May until the 4th June and was happy from beginning to end. After being annoyed at the airport (immigration had a problem with me travelling with my children alone) I was in a foul mood but when I got to the hotel the genuine friendliness and helpfulness of the staff had me smiling. The suite was large CLEAN and comfortable. The air conditioning worked perfectly and my suite had plenty of light switches and lamps so the room was not dark at all. I was on the 12th floor and could see the top of the CN Tower from the windows. The minibar was always stocked (mainly because I didn't use it). The maid was thorough and friendly and always gave us extra towels. The evening turndown service was a nice touch especially the weather report for the next day.The complimentary breakfast in the suites was a blessing because the kids could eat whilst still in their PJs watching Teletoons on the TV whilst I was in the shower. Having 2 TVs with 2 kids was great and I came back to the UK with a full packet of headache pills. The location was fantastic (Richmond and Yonge) we were able to walk to most places within 10 minutes. We walked all the way down Yonge (took about 10-15 minutes) to Queen Quay and took the Ferry to Centre Island (stunning place). The path underground system which connects to the Eaton centre, Subway stations and numerous other buildings and shops is connected to the hotel. Lawrence Market is a couple or blocks away (we walked there practically everyday the Dominion Food Market across the road from there is a great place to get snacks fruit etc cheaper than the corner shops). We also walked to the CN Tower (a must for anyone visiting Toronto) and the Rogers Centre and took in the Toronto Blue Jays (another must family zone $9 a ticket for adults $6.30 for kids bargain very enjoyable and a safe atmosphere). The hotel is a gem believe me I walked past alot of hotels and the vast majority looked like dumps to me Hotel Victoria, Scrathcona, Sheraton and the Delta Chelsea to name a few. The great staff, appearance of Hotel and Suites as well as the location make this hotel a must stay for vistors to Toronto. I am already planning my next trip to Toronto and my children insist that they will not be happy staying anywhere else apart from the Cambridge Suites.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member