“Cambridge, not suite enough”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #36 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Long Beach, CA
“Cambridge, not suite enough”
Reviewed June 14, 2005

Maybe it is just by comparison, but I didn't find the Cambridge Suites exceptional at all. The desk staff was "efficient and pleasant" not necessarily friendly or helpful. I would describe the room about the same, efficient and pleasant. I found it very odd that they have so many different people coming into your room at all hours of the day and evening. One makes the bed, one checks the mini-bar, one fills the free coffee/tea/cookies. One brings creamer and water, and finally one turns down the bed in the evening. I found it a bit unnerving having that many strangers coming and going from my room. Maybe that is just me!!!

I would have liked to have seen the concierge at the desk in the lobby more often, or the front desk staff cross trained to perform that task when necessary. We went a couple of times in the morning and had no luck, but in the afternoon, after we had been out most of the day on our own, then there was someone there. The hotel was clean and relatively quiet, but it seemed to be more of a business hotel than a tourist/family hotel.

I probably would not return to Cambridge Suites.... maybe my expectations were too high based on its ratings here.

9 Thank RICHnCALongBeach_CA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Surrey UK
Reviewed June 14, 2005

We arrived home yesterday after spending 5 nights at the Cambridge Suites and we had a wonderful time. It was a special occasion, my husband's 40th and the staff on the front desk sent him up a birthday card and 2 wonderful plates of fresh fruit and cheeses as a way of wishing him a happy birthday.

The room was immaculate and everything you could ever want to make an enjoyable stay was provided. The staff were friendly and helpful and went out of their way to assist in anyway possible. The breakfast was lovely, plentiful and fresh and certainly carried us well into the day before we even began to think about food again.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here and with the added bonus that Niagara Falls was just over an hours drive away - what a wonderful place to spend your 40th birthday - we can certainly recommend this hotel highly and we would definately stay in the Cambridge Suites if ever we visit Toronto again.

11 Thank Maxine37
Reviewed June 12, 2005

We stayed at Cambridge Suites for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The location is perfect, with half a block away from a mall and a subway station and tons of shops and restaurants nearby. The continental breakfast is limited in variety, but very fresh and promptly refilled. What sets this hotel apart from its peers are the little things indicating a nice caring human touch: small notes forecasting the next day's weather, complimentary bottled water in the afternoon, etc.

If we really have to nitpick, TVs in our rooms are both very dated with distorted colors. Then again, TV watching was not the highlight of our stay ;-)

In summary, we highly recommend this hotel and will definitely put it on the top of the list for our next stay in Toronto.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We have just returned from a six night break to the cambridge suites it was hard to find fault with this hotel. As a family of four with two nearly teenage children the extra room provided in the suite was wonderful. The bedroom area could be closed off to enable kids to sleep, while we relaxed with a beer and T.V. or books. (tip if you dont want to use the mini bar then go to the LCBO store on Dundass / Younge, and stock up your in room fridge.) This hotel is well situated we walked everywhere as we had not hired a car, nowhere was far to go, CN tower, ferry to Islands, shopping, St lawrence market (wonderfull fresh produce), street cars, subway, and Path all within easy reach.

I picked this hotel after reading other reports on this site and was not dissapointed. the only very minor fault was there was no milk for coffee in the fridge, however one phone call and it soon arrived. A Little touch that made our stay, was the evening bed turn down,with chocolates and complmentary bottles of water, plus the next days weather forcast to help you plan your day. The breakfast was always fresh and constantly topped up, providing a good start to the day, we rarely had lunch as we were still full. the bathroom was lovely and clean and always had lots of hot water. The room was also very quiet we never heard any noise from the adjacent or overhead suites.

the Staff were all helpful and polite, we also extended our check out time by an hour to 3pm which meant we arrived at the airport freshly showered and unflustered for our evening flight home. Other hotels i considered were the delta chelsea and the novotel, i definately made the right choice. If we go to toronto again we will stay here.

Eating out was great so much choice our kids loved eating at the old spaghetti factory (the Esplanade near the Novotel) dont be put off by the outside, it is wonderfull inside great meals ,good value for money as well. they also enjoyed the Armadillo Grill on front street west super ribs and tex mex food and an in house magician who visited the table he was brilliant.
we had a fantastic time in toronto and loved the cambridge

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2005

I decided to stay at the Cambridge Suites Hotel in Toronto based on the reviews here and I have to stay I was not dissappointed. I stayed from the 27th May until the 4th June and was happy from beginning to end. After being annoyed at the airport (immigration had a problem with me travelling with my children alone) I was in a foul mood but when I got to the hotel the genuine friendliness and helpfulness of the staff had me smiling. The suite was large CLEAN and comfortable. The air conditioning worked perfectly and my suite had plenty of light switches and lamps so the room was not dark at all. I was on the 12th floor and could see the top of the CN Tower from the windows. The minibar was always stocked (mainly because I didn't use it). The maid was thorough and friendly and always gave us extra towels. The evening turndown service was a nice touch especially the weather report for the next day.The complimentary breakfast in the suites was a blessing because the kids could eat whilst still in their PJs watching Teletoons on the TV whilst I was in the shower. Having 2 TVs with 2 kids was great and I came back to the UK with a full packet of headache pills. The location was fantastic (Richmond and Yonge) we were able to walk to most places within 10 minutes. We walked all the way down Yonge (took about 10-15 minutes) to Queen Quay and took the Ferry to Centre Island (stunning place). The path underground system which connects to the Eaton centre, Subway stations and numerous other buildings and shops is connected to the hotel. Lawrence Market is a couple or blocks away (we walked there practically everyday the Dominion Food Market across the road from there is a great place to get snacks fruit etc cheaper than the corner shops). We also walked to the CN Tower (a must for anyone visiting Toronto) and the Rogers Centre and took in the Toronto Blue Jays (another must family zone $9 a ticket for adults $6.30 for kids bargain very enjoyable and a safe atmosphere). The hotel is a gem believe me I walked past alot of hotels and the vast majority looked like dumps to me Hotel Victoria, Scrathcona, Sheraton and the Delta Chelsea to name a few. The great staff, appearance of Hotel and Suites as well as the location make this hotel a must stay for vistors to Toronto. I am already planning my next trip to Toronto and my children insist that they will not be happy staying anywhere else apart from the Cambridge Suites.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis,MN
Reviewed June 7, 2005

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights May 22 – 25 and loved every second of being here. We had one bedroom suite with two TVs (one in the living room and one in the bedroom), with refrigerator, bar, microwave and much more. There was always a newspaper in the morning, also complimentary breakfast in the room. Rooms were nice and clean. Also there was a workout facility on the 22nd floor and Jacuzzi with sauna. Staff is friendly.
Also there is a good restaurant and bar on the main floor. Hotel is conveniently located near the Yonge st and not far from the most other downtown attractions. We loved this hotel and will definitely return when visit Toronto next time.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank dimaak01
Reviewed May 31, 2005

What would have made things perfect but instead seemed to make every little annoyance worse was the horrible mattress. In the begining I made a mistake by not asking to change rooms but, I was staying such a short time and had so much that I wished to do that the thought of having to pack and change rooms seemed a greater inconvience... By the day of check out I realized what a mistake that decision had been. I was sooooo looking forward to the comfortable bed I had read about in the reviews!! At apperance level the bed looked wonderful! Both Myself and companion have back problems so when we woke stiff and sore after the first night, we made excuses saying 'perhaps we just need to get used to the mattress & maybe it was the pillows ...etc'. ( Though we haven't had that problem happen in other hotels we have stayed)
We could bearly move the 4th morning, trying to pack for check out.

Since I did not ask for another room it's not really fair to blame the Cambridge, but I thought I'd warn other's who wake from an uncomfortable nights sleep not to wait thinking it will get better. It won't! I'll also suggest if you run out of something in the room frig prior to the weekend, let them know before Friday afternoon because though there are several different people coming into the room to check on things daily, it seems the frig is not stocked daily and you will spend a dry thristy weekend! One last thing, if you have reason to use the spa you may want to be sure it is going to be in working order. After the pain and stiffness brought on by the mattress I was even more than looking forward to a nice long settle in the spa and enjoying that gorgious skyscape. But that last evening I was met with a sign saying the spa was closed.
The room itself and the service offered by those employed was truly excellent! I did mention something about my problems upon leaving but I think the desk help thought I was looking for a discount or perhaps didn't understand my accent ( American) or something as he just shrugged it off. Again ... since I was leaving anyway I guess there wasn't really anything he could have said ...but it did make Me feel uncomfortable... and after some thought I decided to write in order to spare other's a painful ruined vacation.

• Stayed March 2005