“Fantastic cant fault it stay here”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We have just returned from a six night break to the cambridge suites it was hard to find fault with this hotel. As a family of four with two nearly teenage children the extra room provided in the suite was wonderful. The bedroom area could be closed off to enable kids to sleep, while we relaxed with a beer and T.V. or books. (tip if you dont want to use the mini bar then go to the LCBO store on Dundass / Younge, and stock up your in room fridge.) This hotel is well situated we walked everywhere as we had not hired a car, nowhere was far to go, CN tower, ferry to Islands, shopping, St lawrence market (wonderfull fresh produce), street cars, subway, and Path all within easy reach.

I picked this hotel after reading other reports on this site and was not dissapointed. the only very minor fault was there was no milk for coffee in the fridge, however one phone call and it soon arrived. A Little touch that made our stay, was the evening bed turn down,with chocolates and complmentary bottles of water, plus the next days weather forcast to help you plan your day. The breakfast was always fresh and constantly topped up, providing a good start to the day, we rarely had lunch as we were still full. the bathroom was lovely and clean and always had lots of hot water. The room was also very quiet we never heard any noise from the adjacent or overhead suites.

the Staff were all helpful and polite, we also extended our check out time by an hour to 3pm which meant we arrived at the airport freshly showered and unflustered for our evening flight home. Other hotels i considered were the delta chelsea and the novotel, i definately made the right choice. If we go to toronto again we will stay here.

Eating out was great so much choice our kids loved eating at the old spaghetti factory (the Esplanade near the Novotel) dont be put off by the outside, it is wonderfull inside great meals ,good value for money as well. they also enjoyed the Armadillo Grill on front street west super ribs and tex mex food and an in house magician who visited the table he was brilliant.
we had a fantastic time in toronto and loved the cambridge

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

London, England
Reviewed June 9, 2005

I decided to stay at the Cambridge Suites Hotel in Toronto based on the reviews here and I have to stay I was not dissappointed. I stayed from the 27th May until the 4th June and was happy from beginning to end. After being annoyed at the airport (immigration had a problem with me travelling with my children alone) I was in a foul mood but when I got to the hotel the genuine friendliness and helpfulness of the staff had me smiling. The suite was large CLEAN and comfortable. The air conditioning worked perfectly and my suite had plenty of light switches and lamps so the room was not dark at all. I was on the 12th floor and could see the top of the CN Tower from the windows. The minibar was always stocked (mainly because I didn't use it). The maid was thorough and friendly and always gave us extra towels. The evening turndown service was a nice touch especially the weather report for the next day.The complimentary breakfast in the suites was a blessing because the kids could eat whilst still in their PJs watching Teletoons on the TV whilst I was in the shower. Having 2 TVs with 2 kids was great and I came back to the UK with a full packet of headache pills. The location was fantastic (Richmond and Yonge) we were able to walk to most places within 10 minutes. We walked all the way down Yonge (took about 10-15 minutes) to Queen Quay and took the Ferry to Centre Island (stunning place). The path underground system which connects to the Eaton centre, Subway stations and numerous other buildings and shops is connected to the hotel. Lawrence Market is a couple or blocks away (we walked there practically everyday the Dominion Food Market across the road from there is a great place to get snacks fruit etc cheaper than the corner shops). We also walked to the CN Tower (a must for anyone visiting Toronto) and the Rogers Centre and took in the Toronto Blue Jays (another must family zone $9 a ticket for adults $6.30 for kids bargain very enjoyable and a safe atmosphere). The hotel is a gem believe me I walked past alot of hotels and the vast majority looked like dumps to me Hotel Victoria, Scrathcona, Sheraton and the Delta Chelsea to name a few. The great staff, appearance of Hotel and Suites as well as the location make this hotel a must stay for vistors to Toronto. I am already planning my next trip to Toronto and my children insist that they will not be happy staying anywhere else apart from the Cambridge Suites.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights May 22 – 25 and loved every second of being here. We had one bedroom suite with two TVs (one in the living room and one in the bedroom), with refrigerator, bar, microwave and much more. There was always a newspaper in the morning, also complimentary breakfast in the room. Rooms were nice and clean. Also there was a workout facility on the 22nd floor and Jacuzzi with sauna. Staff is friendly.
Also there is a good restaurant and bar on the main floor. Hotel is conveniently located near the Yonge st and not far from the most other downtown attractions. We loved this hotel and will definitely return when visit Toronto next time.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank dimaak01
Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2005

What would have made things perfect but instead seemed to make every little annoyance worse was the horrible mattress. In the begining I made a mistake by not asking to change rooms but, I was staying such a short time and had so much that I wished to do that the thought of having to pack and change rooms seemed a greater inconvience... By the day of check out I realized what a mistake that decision had been. I was sooooo looking forward to the comfortable bed I had read about in the reviews!! At apperance level the bed looked wonderful! Both Myself and companion have back problems so when we woke stiff and sore after the first night, we made excuses saying 'perhaps we just need to get used to the mattress & maybe it was the pillows ...etc'. ( Though we haven't had that problem happen in other hotels we have stayed)
We could bearly move the 4th morning, trying to pack for check out.

Since I did not ask for another room it's not really fair to blame the Cambridge, but I thought I'd warn other's who wake from an uncomfortable nights sleep not to wait thinking it will get better. It won't! I'll also suggest if you run out of something in the room frig prior to the weekend, let them know before Friday afternoon because though there are several different people coming into the room to check on things daily, it seems the frig is not stocked daily and you will spend a dry thristy weekend! One last thing, if you have reason to use the spa you may want to be sure it is going to be in working order. After the pain and stiffness brought on by the mattress I was even more than looking forward to a nice long settle in the spa and enjoying that gorgious skyscape. But that last evening I was met with a sign saying the spa was closed.
The room itself and the service offered by those employed was truly excellent! I did mention something about my problems upon leaving but I think the desk help thought I was looking for a discount or perhaps didn't understand my accent ( American) or something as he just shrugged it off. Again ... since I was leaving anyway I guess there wasn't really anything he could have said ...but it did make Me feel uncomfortable... and after some thought I decided to write in order to spare other's a painful ruined vacation.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2005

I stayed in the Cambridge Suites on 13th May for one night. it was my first visit to Toronto, and had read the reviews and decided this was the hotel for me....and the reviews were not wrong! this is a lovely place, tucked away just off Young Street so dead central, about 5 mins from Eaton Centre, but quitely hidden away. The staff in the lobby were all really friendly and helpful, letting me see a room before i booked. The spacious suite itself was very neat, tidy and clean, acres of room and good, clean cooking facility and fridge. i had a suite at the back, so the views were'nt tremedous, but the huge windows offered great vista of downtown Toronto. The huge bed was really comfortable, and turndown service was fine, though the water could have been colder. Free newspaper was nice to see when opened door in the morning. The continental breakfast is a DIY affair, the first time i have experienced this in a hotel. You toast your own toast or bagel, get your own coffee, etc, but the benefit being you can have as much as you want - always a bonus! Generally, i found the whole experience to be really, really good and enjoyable. Getting to and from airport no problem, there was always a taxi outside. Brilliant value for money too. I'd definantly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2005

very good location,we were three ladies visiting canada for the first time.we felt safe and were close enough to walk to shops(lots of shops),restaurants etc.rooms in hotel good size,clean and had everything we needed.we loved the breakfast.all in all,couldn't fault it,as arnie says "we'll be back"

9  Thank MarilynMcCarthy
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Cambridge Suites & everything positive that other users have said about the suite facilities, good value complimentary breakfasts & location is correct. Also I should mention concierge Jennifer who arranged our airport pickup as well as a private tour of Niagara. She also went to a lot of trouble to find us a dinner dance venue on Saturday night - The Old Mill where there is dinner dancing Mon-Sat - very enjoyable if pricey. The front desk staff too were unfailingly courteous & helpful.
BUT I was amazed at the absence of a room safe in a modern property. I like to place valuables in a secure place and it was a real nuisance having to go to the front desk each time to get something out, whether it was cash or credit cards. Other things that could be improved upon were the lighting - we were on 11th floor so suite was quite dark, the pillows - I think that they could offer the option of feather ones & the bath towels which were small, although they did give us 2 each as well as hand towels & face cloths. I would have preferred one proper sized bath towel.
I'm not sure if we would return, as although our overall experience was excellent, I was really inconvenienced by the absence of a room safe.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business