“Very disappointing hotel”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #33 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Cambridge Suites Hotel for the Toronto International Film Festival. It was very disappointing from start to end. I may be a bit harsh in my review, but this is mainly due because of the ridiculously high rating on TripAdvisor (#13 toronto hotel right now). This is really not one of the best hotels in Toronto for me at all. It's more of some kind of apartment/hotel than a standard hotel per say.

All the rooms are suites.. Which is nice, but they are all very dated. I prefer to have a smaller normal room that's more modern and refreshing than a bigger space that looks old. The bed was very uncomfortable for me, it was very very hard. Also the curtain let some light in that would wake me up in the morning.

There is barely any ''service'' in this hotel, the staff doesn't even say Hi.. Each time we asked for something, we never had it immediately. We had to call back and ask again and again. The staff didn't seem very friendly or helpful. The location is not bad, it's in downtown toronto but it's on a bit of a boring corner in front of a parking lot.

I will not go back here, i was too disappointed on so many level.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HG56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We booked a one night stay here though livingsocial.
Living social somehow messed up the dates that was sent to the hotel's database, but the hotel saw my print out and honored the date on the print out. Upon hearing that we came for our aniversary, they provided us with a free upgrade.

The location in great, close to some really good restaurants, the service was friendly and the rooms were really clean. The bathroom was pretty good, which was a bonus.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ak s
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went with my family to visit the city. It is in a central location- shopping, theatre, public transport, art gallery, Chinatown etc... Very clean and modern. I loved the fact that they have infused ice water in the front. Great hot breakfast. My only complaint is the front clerks could present themselves a bit friendlier.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank biggurl2
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed in this Toronto establishment for 5 nights in one of the deluxe suites which came with separate eating, lounge, bedroom, ensuite and bathroom facilities. Check-in was painless with staff being supportive and helpful with the surprise bonus of a fruit platter being delivered to our room shortly after arrival.

The hotel itself is somewhat dated but trip advisor gave good reviews and it is clear that the people deserve it given the service and assistance we were given during our stay. Their concierge arranged tours of the city and Niagara Falls with pickups at the hotel with professionalism. Eating the hotel’s restaurant and bar – the Portico, was value based and their breakfast was a good start to the day.

The hotel is well located near the Eaton Centre and city sightseeing pickups. Depending on your needs in terms of suites and the money you are prepared to spend – it suited us and was a great way to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank acmee001
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here for four nights with my wife and two young children, and I was very happy with this selection. The staff was very friendly and courteous, and we were able to check in early (after flying all morning with the toddlers you hate to have to wait to get to the room!). The room is nicely appointed and having the bedroom separate from the living room makes it very convenient if one child is sleeping and the other is up, or if the kids are asleep and the adults want to watch TV, etc. The "kitchenette" was very small but the refrigerator space was helpful. The location is great, you are one block from the subway, one block from Eaton Center, which even though I swore I wouldnt waste my Toronto vacation visiting a mall, is convenient when you realize you forgot something. Most of the tourist attractions are walkable- we walked to the CN Tower, St. Lawrence Market, Distillery District and the Royal Ontario Museum which were very doable if not in the immediate vicinity. My only complaint about the hotel was often times I was put on hold for too long when calling, whether it was a housekeeping issue, I needed a wake up call, or more annoying if I was out in town and needed to reach my family member's room, Id call the hotel and half to wait 5 1/2 minutes to say "connect me to room 802 please". Upon returning to Toronto, I would most likely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joshdent
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for five nights in August. The rooms were very comfortable; we had a king size bed in a separate bedroom, a separate dressing room area and fairly large living room with a pull-out, comfortable sofa bed. The room was well appointed and quiet, The décor could do with a little modernisation (it is very 90s). The only complaint was that the housekeeping did not wash the cutlery very well but this was dealt with promptly when the staff were informed of this. This hotel is right near the Eaton Centre and the main tourist attractions making it very attractive stay option.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank SunnyTRL
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Cambridge Suites is located right next to downtown Yonge Street which is a perfect location if you are ready to do some shopping. You can park your car ($27 a day) and not have to drive for anything unless you are going to go a great distance.

The entertainment district, financial district, fashion district and the waterfront for Lake Ontario are all within walking distance.

The hotel has a bar and restaurant. I got the breakfast included stay. The breakfast consisted of coffee, juices, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, cheeses, breads, waffles, oatmeal. Compared to pricing of things around the area, the breakfast is good way to start, (especially if you plan on walking) and then eat a meal later on in the day.

The rooms are equipped with mini bar, sleeper sofa (if requested), King bed, sitting area and a nice size bathroom vanity area. The sleeper sofa was not really comfy but small and super thin, not really for 2 people. These rooms allow for 4 people, but if you are a bigger size, you may be a bit uncomfy on the sleeper sofa.

The bathroom itself is small. The door opens just where there is no space between it and the toilet. So you either have it closed or have it open if you needed to get behind the door.

Top floor has the gym and Jacuzzi. There is no outside top level view at this hotel.

You can get currency exchange at the front desk up to $100 per person BUT you cannot change the currency back. Usually they are okay with doing dollar per dollar.

The pricing of everything is about average for what you would expect in Toronto, especially in that area. There is a convenience store that is across the street on the corner. Go there for water and small items, do not pay for the high price mini bar water, soda or snacks!

The liquor stores are around and you can walk to some if you choose. Need help on where to find things use your local on your phone! The hotel has wifi, USE IT!! Especially if you are from the U.S. don’t get caught roaming, its costly!!

I would stay at this hotel again, I have no overall complaints. I think I would use the living social deal next time so that I could save $100 bucks or so, but I wanted to be sure everything was booked correctly since this was my first stay.

Tip: If you coming from the U.S. save loads of money by flying into Buffalo, NY and getting a car rental, and then drive into Toronto. The drive is an hour and half, tops! Your longest ordeal is the border at customs. It’s better to go via Niagara Falls as their customs seems to move much faster. Plus you actually get to see the city of Toronto and if you have time you can stop by the Canadian Falls. Prices for a flight to Toronto could be costly depending on where you are coming from.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends