“Good Hotel in Heart of Downtown Toronto”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #37 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Los Angeles
“Good Hotel in Heart of Downtown Toronto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

We just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel and liked it very much. As the name iindicates, it is an all-suites hotel and is a very comfortable place to return to after a day of sightseeing. The suite we had was a decent size corner suite with a living room area equipped with a wet bar and refrigerator. The bed was comfortable and both the living room area and bedroom had flat panel TVs.

Amenities included terry bathrobes and toiletries. The size of the bathroom was good but the counter space alongside the sink could have been a bit larger.

Included in the rate is a very ample continental breakfast which includes cereals, fresh and dried fruit, yogurts and breads.

The hotel was a few blocks from the subway and there is a lot of shopping nearby. The concierge and front desk staff were very helpful and accommodating.

• Liked — Suites versus single rooms, location, breakfast included
  • Disliked — Bathroom counter space
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank SusanLLosAngeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

I spend one week every five or six in Toronto and was looking for a place I could feel comfortable and safe. Since I work long hours, even when I'm not in the office in Toronto, I'm working and I hate feeling as though I'm stuck in my bedroom all week long.

The Cambridge Suites Hotel was wonderful. The living room area was comfortable with a nice, large desk for working. The bedroom area was fine for me and the bed was very comfortable. There was very good light in both room. Most hotel rooms are too warm for me, so I loved being able to adjust the temperature to my comfort level. There was a nice large bathroom. I loved having televisions in each room.

As a woman traveling, the biggest challenge in putting on makeup. There was not a good, naturally lit place with a mirror to put in makeup, so I improvised, as usual. But that's a small., and common problem with most hotels.

The service was excellent. My room was always clean when I returned at night, the housekeeper even gave me extra cookies one night. I find Toronto quite dry and painful for my sinuses. I asked whether they might have a humidifier and nice large one was in my room when I returned that night.

I generally eat a very light dinner while I work at night, and the kitchen was wonderful about accommodating me. Basically they told me they could make me pretty much whatever I wanted as long as they had the ingredients.

I am going back to Toronto in two weeks and you can bet I am staying at Cambridge Suites again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank bksrmgc
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

Just got back from 3 nights at the Cambridge Suites in Toronto and had a fantastic stay! We had a standard suite with King bed. The suite was roomy and clean. The bed was on the firm side, but to me that's a good thing; very comfortable.
The restaurant was still closed for renovations but that was okay. We'd recommend two restaurants very close to the hotel on Richmond East: Golden Thai and Harlem. Both were very good meals.
The staff were warm and very helpful. We asked for restaurant recommendations for our last night and Stuart came back to us later that day with printouts of three great restaurants and their reviews. The place we picked was exactly what we were looking for that night.
The location of the hotel is great; Yonge Street is just to your left when you exit the hotel; Queen Street is one block north. We walked all around Queen Street West, Theatre district, etc. The only thing that could've made the trip better would be if it were warmer outside! We would definitely stay at the Cambridge Suites again.

• Liked — Location, Room size, Very convenient to/from expressway
  • Disliked — Awkward position of bathroom door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ec76
stoke-on-trent uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

Got a great deal from expedia for a four night stay. Hotel was easy to find Hotel staff couldnt have been any better if they tried very helpful and friendly. Room was great the best bed i have ever slept in Breakfast was good plenty of fresh food. 2 second walk from the main street (Yonge) with plenty of places to eat and drink a trip to the island was lovely as it was covered in snow. I i return to toronto i will stay here again

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teenba
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I were really interested in getting a nice, chic hotel for our Toronto getaway to end the winter break from school. After reading the great reviews and browsing the Cambridge Suites website a few times, we booked (at a rate of $160 per night).

The hotel was extremely easy to find after getting off the Express Way. The location was not exactly what I had hoped for as the hotel was surrounded by empty lots and a bit of construction. Parking was available in a underground garage that was accessible from an elevator that exits straight into the hotel's front lobby. Parking was 17 dollars a day which is typical. There is no valet and no attendent to help you with your bags, so once you park you have to lug all your belongings up to the hotel's lobby.

The front lobby was very small, but nice. Dimly lit with marble flooring, rich dark woods, and a small sitting area. The staff were okay, but I found the most helpful and friendly were the cleaning staff (who do evening cleaning which ended up being very useful for us).

The room itself was nice. Every single suite is set up a little bit different, but they all have a sitting area with television, a desk, two closets, kitchenette/bar, bathroom sink with large marble counter, seperate bedroom with television and sliding doors.

We were able to get a smoking room which is available upon request, but we were told when we were booking that if there wasn't a smoking room available when we checked in and we attempted to smoke in a non-smoking room a charge of at least 200 dollars would be made on our Credit Card. The hotel is extremely strict on the no smoking policy.

It was nice having all the extra room, it was welcoming to come back to after a day in downtown Toronto...but the hotel could use an update in the appliances (the mircowave was clearly old and ready to die) furniture, and overall colour scheme. It was all very dull.

The bathroom was a little cramped. I appreciated the large marble counter area for when I was primping for a night out, but I found that part of the room to be too much dead space.

My boyfriend and I took full advantage of the gym (that closes nightly at 11:30pm). Disappointingly it offered only two treadmills, one elliptical, and one exercise bike. During busy times we would have to wait to use equipment. One plus was each piece of equipment came with a personal television, unfortunately if the person on the machine next to you tried to change their channel they could accidently change your channel as well with their remote. There was also a full weight set, a hot tub, and a sauna. No pool.

One plus is the hotel gives you a complimentary basket of coffee and tea (higgins and burke brand), two bottles of water, a bag of microwaveable popcorn, and cookies which was nice. These were refilled daily by the cleaning staff.

The products the hotel uses are all by Aveda (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouthwash, and soap) which was nice and of good quality.

My biggest pet peeve was that when I would go to the frontdesk for directions or suggestions about where to eat I found their responses were generally uninformed and lacking. We had better help from our cab drivers.

I liked my stay at the hotel, but will likely not plan on staying there in the future as the overall feel of the hotel just wasn't for me.

• Liked — The bed.
  • Disliked — No pool, too few exercise machines.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nhvstheworld
adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2008

An excellent hotel. You don't get marble bathrooms or silk curtains but you do get space, comfort, peace and quiet and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.
Check-in was a bit of a disappointment ,with no-one to help up with our bags (it was late a night) but it was all up from then on. We had a twin bedded suite which, even though it was right opposite the elevators, was very quiet. Traffic noise was only distant, - exept when the Toronto police decided to go screeching through with their sirens blaring in the middle of the night. Should just menion that our suite had glass panel doors between the sitting room and the bedroom which might be a problem if you were intending to use the sofa bed in the sitting room as the light shone through from one room to the other.
Room service was excellent with a lady coming round in the afternoon with a basket of cookies and the tea, coffee, popcorn etc. constantly replenished. We brought breakfast up to the room to eat and they supplied us with a kettle and toaster as soon as we asked.
The hotel is in a great location - easy to walk down to catch a ferry to the Toronto islands or to walk up town. It is also surrounded by lots of good restaurants. We enjoyed the Golden Thai and Le Papillion, both within easy walking distance.

• Liked — comfort and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Linda M
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

We just came back from 6 nights at the Cambridge Suites.
The whole stay was wonderful. The staff was very helpful and nice. Our flight arrived early in the morning and we could check in right away and have breakfast without a problem. The suite was spacious and well equipped. We had a shower and a bathtub; I liked the Aveda bath products.
The continental breakfast was ample. The location made it perfect for our exploring without a car; within minutes from subway, bus and streetcars and the great PATH system.
We will stay there again!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family