“Decent pricing a short subway ride from downtown”
Review of Bond Place Hotel

Bond Place Hotel
Ranked #56 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Calgary, Canada
“Decent pricing a short subway ride from downtown”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Bond Place hotel is clean, basic business class accommodation at a price point that is noticeably lower than hotels right in the downtown core. When in Toronto I normally stay at the Marriott, but this trip was for a conference, and the Bond was an "official" conference hotel (meaning it was on the conference private bus transport circuit). It was also the most reasonable price of any of the conference hotels (a selection of about 30+ hotels), so I decided to give it a try.

Its location is a short block from the Dundas Street subway station, and that makes it a quick ride to Union Station, which is very nice (I didn't always take the conference bus).

The room was small, with not much space to set up and work on a laptop computer, but for the price it was tolerable.

When I was there, the restaurant looked like it was being renovated, so it was closed and I can't comment on its quality.

To summarize, I'd say that if I needed something close to downtown, but didn't want to pay an arm and a leg to stay near Front & York, I'd consider staying here again. It was basic, clean, although a bit cramped.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
sw ont
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here one night. We had read about the small rooms, and were quite pleased with the room. Nice comfortable queen bed, clean modern new room, sufficed our needs . A half block from the Eaton Centre Mall & subway, short ride to all venues downtown, perfect location. Three elevators in a small hotel, we never waited long. Newspaper at your door in the morning. The bathroom door is a sliding glass door that does not seal, just a heads up.
The only critique I would add, is, the front desk staff. They were efficient at their tasks but It almost seemed like the day we arrived they were all told of a pay cut..glum glum glum. Eight hours later I went down to ask a question and was second in line as a guest was being checked in. Same thing with her, efficient but unfriendly. C'mon folks...you want us to return don't you?
As a 32 year team trainer, I would chalk this up to a management challenge.

Room Tip: get a room higher away from the noisy street, and away from the elevators and ice machine, if you wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BondPlaceHotel, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Introoder

Thank you for your feedback on the Bond Place Hotel. We appreciate the insight.

We’re are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found the rooms to your satisfaction, as well as the location.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments as this helps us to continually improve our service and operations. I plan to personally follow up with my team.

Once again, thank you for your great comments and for staying at the Bond Place Hotel. We look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Take it from someone who comes to Toronto 2X a month, this place is the pits.

Unless you appreciate rude and incompetent staff, ridiculously small and poorly appointed rooms, lack of basic things like free WiFi, a creepy neighborhood filled with low life hipsters and security guys who look like they ought to be locked up, then this isn't a place for anyone other than an international fugitive.

To wit: when checking in at 7:30 PM after a long day of travel and work I was informed that my room would have 2 single beds. When I asked "why"? the only thing the front desk jockey could say was "I only have 2 rooms to sell and they both have 2 single beds". When I reminded him that the room was paid for in advance, therefore he wasn't "selling" me anything, he got this glazed look, like someone had stepped on his Hamster. I waited. Nothing. I asked again how a 6' 2" person was supposed to fit comfortably in a single bed. Again, the Hamster look. I surrendered.

Upstairs I found a room barely 70 SF in size, with oddly placed light switches and a broken television. I couldn't even be bothered and just went to sleep. The following morning, I woke to what can only be described as a prison riot of guests somewhere on my floor. It was 6:10 AM. So deciding to shower and just get the heck out of there I was treated to less of a shower than a pair of eye-droppers gently drizzling water. The water pressure was literally less than an elementary school drinking fountain.

I won't even go into the call to front desk to get the "code" for WiFi which apparently also has a charge, although this wasn't a request for the "premium" WiFi of $9.99 they try to extract, just a way to quickly check email before departing.

As I checked out they wanted my last name as I handed over the keys. I decided that "nevercomingback" was a good last name and went with that. Will be checking my credit card to make sure they didn't charge me for anything I didn't buy, something I suspect that this kind of pace would do.

Toronto has a lot of great choices for hotels. Just look a little harder and spend the extra $20 to not have to deal with this hell hole that gives hospitality a bad name. Don't even send your enemies, they really don't deserve it.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank A R
Dear A R:

Thank you for your review on the Bond Place Hotel. We are concerned that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would absolutely like to discuss your experience.

After reviewing daily reports I did not hear about any of the issues you experienced during your stay on any log and I would personally like to follow up with the team.

Please connect with myself at 416-362-6067 to have your issues addressed as we would like to improve our process.

Once again, thank you for your feedback as we are continually trying to improve our service and operations. We look forward to hearing from you.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Expecting a 4 star, and worried when I realized this was a converted apartment building. Yes, it gas been renovated..but.. Room was very small, with 2 twin beds. I haven't seen a twin bed since I was in high school! Tv small, with a remote that didn't work. Facing a busy street with street cars keeping me up.
The good news - good location and everything in the room seems new
The bad news - you are living in a university dorm room.
Would I stay again? Only if it was one heck of a deal and priced as a two star.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing dundas street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BondPlaceHotel, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear jk7370:

Thank you for your review on the Bond Place Hotel. We would like to address the issues that you had during your stay and hope to have your matters dealt with.

This property has been a hotel for over 35 years and we have recently renovated. Some of our Standard Rooms do include 2 Twin Beds and we offer another Standard Room that includes 1 Queen Bed. We also offer larger rooms and suites and we hope that you were offered these accommodations.

Our televisions are 32” Flat Screens and being in the heart of Downtown Toronto, this is one of our features that we don’t have to boast about too much. We do offer Movies and Games on our televisions along with digital cable access. We don’t feel the need to have larger televisions as we encourage our guests to enjoy the beautiful city that surrounds us.

Being in the heart of the city, we are surrounded by action. This is perfect for those that are looking to explore. We do have city-view rooms but, we also have lake-view rooms that promote a quieter sleeping atmosphere for our light-sleepers.

Unfortunately, we do not see any reports on your concerns and wish to make it up to you. Please connect with Front Office Manager at 416-362-6067 and we can discuss how we can improve.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to hearing from you.
Norfolk
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Without the appeal of the central location, this hotel wouldn't be anything to rave about. It doesn't really offer much except for the easy access to sights in Toronto, which is perfect if it's just somewhere to lay your head!
A few negative points to this hotel were :

Key cards for the elevators, I have no qualms with the system itself but not when they fail to work half the time, one lift in particular was a right pain! And others experiencing same problem when in the same lift.

This is the first hotel I've ever been to that doesn't have a bar or serve alcohol/ or somewhere thats open in the evening, the amount of people I have seen walking up to the cafe in there and looking confused because it's not open in the evening or sundays. Surely it would give you MORE business having it open at hours people want a drink and to chill before going up to their room. The cafe that is there, lack of choice in food, staff more concerned in watching the tv or cleaning another empty table than to serving you or bringing you a menu. Opening times are different according to the signs in different elevators!

No where was there indicated we had to put down a security deposit, not everyone brings a credit card or has the cash on them! (my mother couldn't use one, so as a student, had to use mine!)

Internet didn't always work and when asking at reception I get a response of 'well it should work'. mmmm not so helpful. Had to wait twenty minutes before anyone came over to help.

Other than that, it really is all about location and beds were comfy enough!

Room Tip: Higher floors, better view and less noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Anon123Norfolk

Thank you for your feedback on the Bond Place Hotel. We appreciate the insight.

We certainly pride ourselves on the location being so central to all of downtowns sights and attractions. We are happy you enjoyed the area; however we definitely have other areas of service which stand out as well.

In regard to our key system I understand it can take a moment to become familiar with. I find when the key is swiped slowly it works best and watching for a green flash shows it read the key swipe and will allow you to access your floor. My apologies for any confusion or frustration it may have caused you during your stay with us.

With the café, it actually is independently owned and operated and is not owned by the hotel.
The Opening times in the elevator that differ from the Café Opening times for breakfast refer to in house groups. This group breakfast schedule is only for large groups that purchase breakfast service and this is served at a different time than when the Café opens for breakfast.

With that being said there are many options very close to the hotel literally starting with Imperial Pub right across the street where alcohol and food is served late in to the evening, as well as many hot spots within less than a 5 minute walk. A great example Hard Rock Café (200m or 2 minute walk from our front door)

Please let us know the next time you visit, and we will be sure to lay out all options that may be of interest to you. We would be more than happy to provide directions as well.

For the internet usage we also have two computers available for guest use in the lobby free of charge. As well we have just switched over to a better internet provider and hope on your next visit you don’t experience any issue at all. Thank you for your comments as they help us to continually improve our product and service to better suit your needs.

Connect with us directly at 416-362-6061 and we will be at your service!

Flanders
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Looking for an affordable hotel room in Toronto via Hotwire, we ended up in the Bond Place Hotel. Recently renovated, the rooms are nicely decorated and everything is spotlessly clean.
Rooms are indeed not very big, but who cares, we were in Toronto to see the city and spend as little time as needed in the hotel. We stayed here for 7 nights and we had no problems whatsoever with noisy neighbours. Maybe because we were on the 15th floor and at the end of the corridor?
No need to take breakfast in the hotel (we didn't try) there are excellent locations just around the corner!

Room Tip: Maybe high up and at the end of the corridor, that's where we slept very quietly for 7 nights in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I checked in here for 1 night while in Toronto. I got a good deal on the hotel from Hotwire so I paid $78 after taxes. I would stay here again for the same rate as the rooms are upgraded, nice white duvet which seemed cleaned, fresh white sheets and a very comfy bed.

Only thing that was not good was the Wifi they want you to pay $9 for. Most hotels in the area don't charge guests for wifi.

For Families: It seems the hotel has the option of 2 single beds or a queen.

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms are an extra $15, but only thing that separates them is free Wifi and a cordless phon...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven O
BondPlaceHotel, Assistant Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Steven O:

Thank you for your feedback on the Bond Place Hotel. We appreciate the insight.

We’re happy that you got a fantastic deal through Hotwire. In order to keep the cost of our standard rooms lower, we do charge for the WiFi internet. However, we do offer Business Rooms and Suites that include the internet. Also, we offer complimentary use of computers with internet in the lobby which are available 24 hours.

Please let us know the next time you visit, and we will be sure to lay out all options including packages that may be of interest to you. Connect with us directly at 416-362-6061 and we will be at your service!