“I did not like it!”
Review of Bond Place Hotel

Bond Place Hotel
Ranked #58 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I like Trip Advisor. It provides a lot of valuable information when I am planning a trip. Rarely do I disagree with the ratings and comments, and this review is such an example.

I hated my stay at this property! True, it is a good location when you need to be downtown Toronto. True, the price was low. But how can the rating be justified based solely on those 2 criteria? Here are a few of the problems I saw. First, the noise. The walls are paper thin and the windows are single pane. You hear everything! Loudly! There is a fire station nearby and, of course, if there is a fire in the middle of the night, you will hear the sirens. The immediate vicinity is very noisy, streetcars, cars, etc. Those single pane windows are drafty so the room got cold quickly. Then the fan was noisy. The mattress was very uncomfortable. The room was tiny, in fact one of the smallest room I have ever had. No commode to empty your suitcase (mind you, there would have been no room for one). They boast about the renovation, but most of it looks and feels cheap.

Important element to note: wireless is not free, and bandwidth is always an issue (except at 5 AM, which I experienced since noise woke me up).

All in all, it was unacceptable. I will not be back.

Room Tip: This would be a good hotel for people on a budget that can sleep through anything. Otherwise, stay...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
BondPlaceHotel, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed that we didn’t have the opportunity to resolve all your issues while you were at the property. We do have bigger rooms on the higher floor which includes WIFI. This change in your room would have solved all your problem. Once again, I would like to apologize and would like to welcome you back again our hotel.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of downtown. Very close the Eaton Center, a large shopping center and Chinatown. The rooms are nice and cozy. Although the hotel is in downtown, it is still affordable. The staff was friendly and helpful they gave us lots of good advices.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
BondPlaceHotel, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and felt that the staff was very helpful. I look forward to welcoming you soon for your next getaway in Toronto

Reviewed January 28, 2013

from the lobby to the room and even the elevators it is sleek modern and well designed, but it was small and felt pretty cramped for 4 people. otherwise it's great. the staff is friendly, and it's located right beside dundas square

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a small room while you were here. We do have rooms which can accommodate 4 people and also we do have Queen Junior suites which offers one Queen bed and sitting area with sofa bed, bathroom with glass design features allowing in natural light and a large glass shower, upgraded guest amenities, cordless speaker phone, microwave, iPod docking clock radio, and complimentary Wi-Fi access and newspaper delivery. Queen Junior Suites are located on floors 16, 17, 18 and accommodate up to 4 guests. Please do book a Queen Junior Suite next time you come and stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you soon at the Bond Place Hotel Downtown Toronto

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was on an impromptu visit to Toronto for a week and spent hours searching accommodations - originally wanting to stay in Old Toronto near the CN Tower. I moved up as the rooms at the Bond Place and the price looked amazing. I opted for the Queen Deluxe and as much as it was cheap and similar to the website photos, the room was a lot smaller than i expected. I got free wifi with my deal but had to go to the lobby every 24hrs to renew my wifi password which is very annoying. The location is just out of Eaton Centre, which means it isnt hard to find a good atmosphere, shops or food. The subway is just 200 metres or so down the street and there is a subway restaurant, starbucks and pub within steps of the hotel. The rooms were clean (i moved to a higher room on my second day), The bathrooms were nice and the blue light under the tv was very cool at night. The front desk staff werent the greatest but I didnt care as I wasnt staying at the Hilton or something. There was a concierge for one day and she was helpful with how to get to the zoo. I would reccomend this hotel as the location is perfect and the price is just a cherry on top.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are in a L Shape, so you only get a view of Eaton Centre from one side, the other si...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lauren A

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with the front desk staff. Guest experience is a important part of Bond Place Hotel and we take these feedback seriously and go back with re-training so we can rectify the problem. Please be assured that your feedback with be addressed properly. We would like to welcome you back again for your next visit.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Formally the Colony, we stayed at the Bond Place Hotel as I'd stayed before at the Colony and liked it. Was very disappointed with the Bond Place - the Colony had a nice pub/restaurant, but that has now gone (it's now a nasty juice bar, in-line with the hotel's 'dry' policy - even the mini-bars in the room have been emptied. They're still in the rooms, but there's nothing in them.) Despite booking 4 months in advance, they had to change the rooms 3 times. Disabled entrance is very bad - it's the back entrance that the staff always block with the luggage trolleys (picture attached). It's also in an alleyway that the local drunks from the pub opposite urinate by.

Location-wise, it's about as far from Downtown as it can be whilst still able to call itself 'Downtown'. Quite cheap, and if you want a cheap hotel, is satisfactory. If, however, you want a city-centre hotel, best look elsewhere...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was on a budget for a week of meetings and this hotel appeared to be the least expensive 3-star option downtown. On the plus side, it was close to the Dundas subway & shopping area, and the bed was fairly comfortable; when I called the front desk to ask why there was no robe in my room, they delivered one quickly. On the negative side, the hotel and rooms do NOT look at all like the photos on the website (my room was tiny), the wireless is slow, it is in a somewhat seedy area, it's noisy (my room was right by the elevator, and the walls were paper thin) and the whole hotel seems old and run-down, even if they've tried to give it a modern facelift. There is a restaurant in the lobby, but it wasn't open in the evenings - not convenient at all. Staff weren't very pleasant to deal with. I won't be staying here again, even at the low price.

Room Tip: I was on a high floor and I was glad - there's a lot of noise from the busy street/shopping area...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank surfsister_10

I am most concerned to read about your disappointing experience during your visit at the Bond Place Hotel. We do offer a wide variety of room types and can make suggestions as to which will have the better views and larger square footage in the future and we can always assign a room far from the elevator. We are working in updating our wireless system so we can better serve the guest. I am disappointed to note that you found your room susceptible to noise from outside and most sorry not to have had the opportunity to resolve this matter for you prior to your departure. Please do give us a chance so we can change the impression you have in mind. We would like to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was there on business with clients , found the hotel in an excellent location nice refurbished rooms, staff good, particularly Gin and his team who concerned themselves with group baggage, very fast and very efficient, well done lads!!!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Chris,
Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your short stopover with us as well as recommending us to Trip Advisors members. I am very delighted to hear about Jing and would pass your comments to him. On behalf of all the team, we all look forward to welcoming you soon.