“Quiet, comfortable CP with a superb restaurant.”

Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport
Ranked #82 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed for a weekend in September.

Pros:
+ Knowledgeable front desk staff; smooth check-in
+ Platinum recognition, upgraded to 2nd floor 'suite' (it is one room that is a bit deeper than standard rooms)
+ Wonderful beds, quality linens, effective blackout blinds, slept great
+ Quiet, effective A/C unit
+ Ergonomic showerhead with solid pressure
+ Good soundproofing, planes above are a modest, tranquil hum
+ Excellent rates for a CP property
+ Scrumptious dinner with wonderful service (Wai is a star, so much life in her)
+ La Brasserie was open until 1am on the weekend for food, very much appreciated
+ Tasty breakfast with a wide selection of hot and cold items, included for Platinums (thank you)
+ Peaceful pool/jacuzzi with powerful jets in the jacuzzi, sauna also pleasant
+ Platinum lounge is the size of a double room with several sofas and some fruit and tea/coffee
+ Easy access right off the 401; a 20-minute drive to downtown Toronto (30-45 in rush hour)

Cons:
- No microwave or fridge in room (would have been useful given all the dead space)
- No HD channels
- Room size is on par with a standard Holiday Inn property, slightly more for the suites
- If using public transit, it will take 90+ minutes to get downtown (outside of Mon-Fri 3-6pm)
- Breakfast service confused; asked twice for vouchers
- Claustrophobic ice/vending machine area on second floor

Useful tip: If utilizing public transit, The 191 Rocket Express bus to/from Bloor Subway Station only runs 3-6pm Mon-Fri (Google will not tell you this). Outside of these hours, to get downtown, take us #82 bus outside the Sheraton on Dixon Rd. (5 minute walk though the parking lot) to Lawrence West Subway Station. Be sure to get a transfer upon boarding the bus in order to ride the subway downtown. The bus takes 50-60+ minutes to Lawrence West Station (not the 35 minutes on maps), with 38 stops. The subway takes 25-30 minutes to Union station. Note that bus #82 back to the CP is not terribly frequent late at night.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is quiet (for Platinums).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for posting such a detailed review about your stay at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel and for giving our hotel a great rating!
I am so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our services met your expectations. We hope that you will visit us soon again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have previously stayed at the other IHG properties near Toronto airport - the Holiday Inn, the Holiday Inn Express, the Indigo, so I thought I would give the CP a try. I am an IHG Platinum Elite and was hoping there might be an opportunity for am upgrade or other perks, but the hotel failed to deliver even the basics.

I arrived at about 9PM on a flight from the west coast, and checked in. The room I was given was a very small basic room with one double bed, although i had booked a room with two double beds. I went back to the front desk and asked about this and was told they were all out of two bedded rooms and did not have any rooms with a King or better bedding that what I was given. I asked to speak with the manager, and he also said too bad, but it's all we have left. So it seems you can't even depend on a confirmed reservation to be delivered.

The next morning I looked at my booking again and found that my rate should include breakfast. I called the desk and they confirmed I should have been given vouchers when I checked in, but neither the clerk or the manager had mentioned this when I checked in.

Given the tiny room we were given and the surly service I don't think we'll be back at this property anytime soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank quickcanuck

Dear Guest,

The time you have taken to provide the specific details of your recent stay is appreciated. I can assure you that we do continually gather, review, and compile the comments and utilize them in how to best modify practices/procedures and identify product deficiencies and opportunities.
Please be informed that we do upgrade IHG Rewards Platinum members upon arrival each time we have an opportunity to do so. I am very sorry that on the day you visited us we were sold out for all rooms on Executive floor.
Dear Sir, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss the challenges you faced with you personally. Our goal is guest satisfaction and I would like to stress that the experience you had at our hotel, is not indicative of the level of service the team at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel is committed to provide.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Good value with deal. Only complaint was not being able to use sauna & whirlpool after checking in, in evening. Really wanted to relax before going to bed!
Bed was comfortable and room had all the necessary amenities.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank canuckjammer63
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were not able to use our pool an hot tub as it's open from 7am -11pm. Great to read though that you enjoyed your stay and the comfort of our new bedding. We hope that you will visit us soon again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I got a great deal on Wagjag for a one night stay at this hotel before my early morning flight. This deal also included parking, breakfast & shuttle to the airport. The room was adequate for the amount of time that we would be in it, but the beds were a little hard. I live in the flight path of another airport so the noise from planes flying over the hotel didn't bother me! I enjoyed the breakfast & the friendly staff at the front desk made checking out quick & easy! Took the shuttle over to the airport & got there in plenty of time for the flight!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank msgordon74
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Toronto Aorport Hotel, it is greatly appreciated! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the time you spent with us, from our amenities to our friendly staff. Especially I was happy to read that that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to front desk staff.

We hope that your travels will bring you back to our area in the future; it would be lovely to welcome you again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your future trips.
Elena Naryjania
Front Ofiice Manager

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friends (2) and I stayed here the night before we flew out to Cuba and we were shocked when we saw the size of the room. When you are more than two, these rooms are way too small. Even just 2 people would have been tight, unless you are a couple (not as bad), but three women cannot share this room easily.

Everything else about the hotel was average, except the shuttle driver, who went out of his way to help us get our luggage on to the shuttle; and we had a lot of luggage as we were taking "Humanitarian Aid" suitcases with us. Next time, I will spend the extra and stay at the one of the other hotels near the airport.

The location was excellent, not the closest to the airport, but not far either and lots of restaurants to walk to in less than 5 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynne T

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay via this review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you particularly found our shuttle service reliable and efficient. We hope that you will soon visit us again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel and inquire about different room types which could better suit your needs.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I expect very little from airport hotels and this hotel did not exceed my expectations. But it didn't disappoint either. The room was small, which was fine. The bed was about as hard as the floor. And the duvet on the bed was probably as dirty as the floor.

The breakfast buffet was chaotic, but much nicer than I expected (and, of course, overpriced and not worth it if you don't have a voucher). There are a few good dining options walking distance from the hotel.

Truthfully, there are some pretty horrible hotels around YYZ. This one isn't the worst of them. And if you're on a budget, it may be a decent choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael R
HotelMGT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please know that your feedback is important to us as it helps us identify areas of opportunity! Your comments have been forwarded to the managers concerned and we will ensure that your concerns are addressed. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations but I hope that you will give us a chance to welcome you again at Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just checked in and there is no fridge in room! way too long to check in! called for more towels and was asked to call back? really are you fricking joking!!! need to find a new place for the rest of the week!

Room Tip: make sure rooms have a fridge so you can have a drink !
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing feedback of your visit to our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the delay in delivering a fridge to your room. Rest assured that our Housekeeping Manager has been made aware and is investigating where we have gone wrong. I am very grateful that you gave me the opportunity to address and rectify this matter and I sincerely hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to our hotel in future.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention!