“Good Best Western quality”

Best Western Roehampton Hotel & Suites
Ranked #59 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Good Best Western quality”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had never been to Toronto before and were somewhat surprised by where this hotel was. It is not in the center downtown region, but once we learned the subway/bus system we found it very easy to get around. The hotel is right next to the intersection of a main subway and an important bus line so making connections was quick and easy. The neighborhood around the hotel is actually very nice and we took some pleasant walks to see it. There are also some very good places to eat in the area.

I thought the room was what I would expect at a Best Western and why we came there. It was large, clean and well furnished. (However, the wall in the center of the room was strange.) The wifi connection dropped out from time to time, but that was just a minor annoyance. One evening as we returned to the hotel at 10 pm, I mentioned to the Front Desk clerk that we had a TV problem. Within 10 minutes someone was at our room to fix it. There is a computer & printer system in the lobby which came in very handy in printing out the tickets we purchased on-line.

The free breakfast was very good with the standard scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon & French toast every day. But there was also lots of other options including dry cereals, muffins, Danish, bagels, yogurt and other things. You will NOT go hungry.

I thought all the staff at the Front Desk, Concierge and breakfast room to be very friendly and helpful. (A special shout-out to Annie in the breakfast room.)

There is a pool and a laundry room, but we did not use either one.

Overall it was a very nice place and I'm glad we were there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jake M
Bwroe, General Manager at Best Western Roehampton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are pleased to know that your stay was comfortable and enjoyed our hotel services and facilities. Once again, I thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Austin
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A little dated, food was expensive and second rate, staff were not helpful at all, I had to cash a travelors check and I was a guest already checked in and they wouldnt cash my travelors check because they said the signatures didnt match in their opinion. Now the day manager cashed them the next day but it was very embarassing.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Grady C
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to learn that our Duty Manager was able to cash the travelers’ cheques. Please note that for your protection and security, we take serious measures when cashing cheques. If in doubt with the signature our Guest Services personal have to get approval from the Duty Manager. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Midland, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is outdated in appearance but comfortable. The service from registration to valet parking to complimentary breakfast was good. The room was spacious and quiet. In short a decent place to stay at a reasonable price in a good uptown location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank relishestravel
Bwroe, General Manager at Best Western Roehampton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We appreciate all of your comments and will pass them on to our staff. We always appreciate your feed back about our property. Once again, I thank you very much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Suburban Philadephia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. Had never been to Toronto, but this was semi affordable and had a pool. It is NOT convenient to downtown attractions. We were there over Canada Day Weekend, so drove downtown, which took about 20 minutes. Parking was $15 vs $12 for both of us to take public transportation. Glad we opted to drive, and there was very little traffic.

The staff were fine. Valet/ concerige recognized us and we never had to wait long for the car.
Breakfast was nice. Served in the restaurant, same food every day: eggs, sausage, potatoes, french toast, cereal, etc.
The pool area was on the third floor roof, but was quite chilly. I found it refreshing, but many didn't go in cause it was too cold.
Room was spacious and comfortable.

Not much in the area, so if you want to see the sights I'd suggest staying closer to downtown.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to know that your stay was confortable and enjoyed our hotel services and facilities. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the hotel location convenient for your travel. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
North American
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Check in was very quick and friendly. The decor of the room is mismatched and outdated (red sofa, blue carpet and old brass fixtures). I was only planning to stay one night to get some work done and sleep, but as mentioned in a previous review, the internet connection is very sporadic, once a connection can be made, that is. I was there to finish up some work, which I was unable to do, and rather than continuously be interrupted, I checked out and went to another hotel. When I checked out, I mentioned the internet problem, and the agent said "You have to tell us, you can't just leave." To his credit, after that, he offered to take a look at try to get it working, but I just wanted to get out of there. I would not recommend this hotel to tourists, as it is not within walking distance of any attractions that I can think of, nor would I recommend it for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MKUltra3340
, General Manager at Best Western Roehampton Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you left the Hotel due to an internet connectivity problem. Please note that we offer 24 / 7 technical support services through our internet service provider for any guests who are experiencing difficulties with connectivity issues.

I am pleased to advise you that we are in the process of upgrading our internet services to provide all our valued guests with a faster connection speed. We are hoping to have this services available by the end of August.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My experience at this hotel was mediocre at best. My husband and I got married close by and this was the closest hotel to the venue. We had pretty much all of our guests stay here, meaning more than half of the hotel was occupied by our wedding for two nights. When we arrived to check in we asked the valet to park us near my uncles truck, which we could see and there was an empty space right next to it. The valet was snarly and said he wasn't sure if that was okay. Considering our car was full of things that had to be transferred to that truck, that was unacceptable and my husband refused the valet parking and parked there anyways.

With already having a bad impression of the hotel before even checking in, I did try my best to move on. However we then had several of our guests complain to us about the front desk service, my mother included. It is my opinion that people who don't like people should not work in customer service, and the front desk staff did not strike me as liking people.

The best I can say for this hotel is that they did let us take some wedding pictures in the lobby, which is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeffH320
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at our Hotel and apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have brought these points to the attention of the staff concerned. We will use your comments to improve our services.

Ontario
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, because it is within walking distance of my area headquarters. However, it has never been my favourite place. The best I can say is that it is clean. And the people are nice. In the last two months or so, they have done away with the restaurant for all meals other than a miserable excuse for breakfast which is complimentary with your stay. Dont bother. Splurge and go up the street (Eglinton) to the Golden Griddle where you can get real eggs prepared anyway you like.

The location for this hotel - basically at the corner of Mount Pleasant and Eglinton - is within walking distance (about 10 minutes) of the TTC subway stop at Eglinton and Yonge. It is withink walking distance of a Sobeys, Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall Drug store, a couple of coffee places and a couple of nice restaurants, but in terms of attractions, I cant recommend it.

The room is basic, though does have a fridge, coffee maker, ipod dock and a flat screen tv, but is dated, and I found the bathroom really small (room 509) Also I had to fight with the key card every single time I wanted to get into my room, as the swipe thingy is not very sensitive - this makes me very frustrated.

Overall, simply due to business I will undoubtedly be staying again, but given a choice, I would not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business