“Not a great experience”

Ranked #56 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Miami, Florida
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

First of all the shuttle services fromt he airport are very confusing, as there is another Holiday Inn close by and the shuttles are not connected. There isn't clear indications on the shuttles as to which goes where and the drivers were less than helpful to answer those questions. The internet at this hotel is terrible and makes it impossible to work. Internet speed in the evening was only 265kbps which is awful. Room was ok and clean but the first 2 problems will make me find another hotel next time I'm in Toronto.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter S
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Peter S
Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback we do take all of our comments as constructive and see what we can do to learn from them. I'm glad you found your room clean and to meet your needs. I understand that the issue with the shuttle and internet tainted your stay. First of let me say I apologize for the confusion with the shuttle as the drivers are normally very helpful and at times work to gather to help our IHG guests! As for the signage they are marked but this time of year with the winter playing havoc this could be what caused the confusion. We are actually changing and upgrading our signage as we speak so that should help with any further confusion. As for the internet you are correct we have been experience extremely high demand on our system and we have upgraded all of our hardware and are in the process of upgrading our pipe coming into the building to help rectify and keep up with the demands on the free wireless. I hope that upon your return you get a chance to stay with us again as I'm sure we can meet and exceed our needs!
Regards
DougGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
London, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed here on the recommendation of relatives who fly out to cruise vacations, Left our car for the week, Our visits were excellent experiences. Staff was great - welcoming and helpful. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Rooms were very clean and we got great sleeps both nights. All the staff we came in contact with were excellent. Location is easy to get in and out of. We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear CBherewecome
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review and staying with us at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport! Thanks for your positive feedback I will share with the team! We have seen a lot of Park and Fly packages this year with the long cold winter we have been having. With our location and 24 hour shuttle makes our hotel an idea destination. Our team tries very hard to be incredibly friendly and we keep a spotlessly clean and well maintained hotel that guest love!! Our full breakfast buffet is a hit with a lot of guests and always offers a great variety of items.
Cheers till next time and thanks for staying with us coming and going!!
Hearst, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Found room to be a little bit outdated was expecting more ! Lack of pressure in the shower in the morning was a little disappointing waited for a bit but never got better. Staff were very helpful and friendly I arrived late and were very good on recommending were to get food etc .

Room Tip: Ask for a newer renovated room !
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thanks for staying with us and giving us your feedback. Our team does work hard to be incredibly friendly as we believe that is the way we make great hotels guest love! I hope that you get a chance to return as this summer we are planning on doing some redecoration in some of our guest touch areas which will help to give us a new look and feel. We do always try to maintain and keep our product up to date sparkling clean and well maintained.
Regards
Jiquilillo, Nicaragua
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stay in this hotel at 970 Dixon Rd occasionally when we travel, or for conferences close by for my partner's work. Primarily, I choose this hotel because of its location and because we're Priority Club members. This is one of the few where they don't really seem to do anything to recognize loyalty members, which isn't a huge deal but would be nice.

Overall, it's clean enough, usually quiet enough, and a decent place to stay if you have business in the area or are heading to the airport. Parking, however, is a HUGE issue that they really need to get a handle on. Summer isn't so bad, but we were not happy at all about the hike we had to do this time in the freezing weather.

We were here most recently this past two weeks for one night each time, leaving and returning from vacation. I was pretty annoyed that I couldn't park & fly at the hotel because we booked a rewards night and used points for the stay. I asked if I couldn't pay extra for the parking? No, they said, that's not possible. Seems a bit ridiculous to "reward" your loyal customers by letting them use points to book the room, then punishing them by making them get up and leave at 3am to park elsewhere and get a different shuttle.

That stay, I hardly slept at all. It sounded like the planes were taking off from the HI parking lot. We hadn't noticed this before, so I think we must have been on the other side of the hotel for our other stays? This time was definitely way too noisy for sleeping.

We booked another room the night we returned. Again, I like to stay with IHG for the points, but it's getting to the point with this particular hotel that it's not worth it. Still, it's familiar and we were tired so we went with it.

We drove around the parking lot 3 times looking for ANY open spot when we got back. Finally had to wedge in against the fence and hope I wasn't violating any rules. It is a huge parking lot and there is no organization whatsoever as to who parks where. It would make a lot of sense if I didn't have to park in the Back 40 and walk past all the park&fly cars that have been sitting there for a week to get to my hotel room. In the winter, this really and truly sucks. They almost need a shuttle to get people from their lot to the doors - I'm not kidding, I don't know how the elderly or anyone with lower mobility would have navigated the frozen, rutted up parking lot and extreme cold. Either that or assign parking for various durations to different parts of the lot and offer complimentary valet for your long term people, who have to park way at the back. Have attendants out there directing people to the proper areas and open spaces... something! Right now it's a complete zoo.

You almost don't want to leave or have to go anywhere while you're staying here, in case you can't get parked again.

There's really nothing spectacular about this hotel and its major selling point is proximity to the airport. Front desk staff are very nice and good at their jobs and the hotel restaurant is actually pretty good. However, other hotels do those things well, as well, and HI Airport is surrounded by other park & fly hotels. I'm loyal to the brand but this location needs to do a way better job of anticipating what traveling guests need and being able to deliver (hint: they need sleep and don't expect to search 15 minutes for parking only to walk a mile with their suitcase).

Room Tip: Not facing the airport if you want to sleep.
Dear Miranda M
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. First off lets start with thank you for being a IHG Club loyalty guest. We thank you for being loyal to the brand and staying with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport. I'm glad that you enjoy the dining room and find our staff friendly. As for the parking and being able to pay extra as a loyalty guest we do offer that in off peak times but it is one of the ways we try and manage the parking is buy not over selling. It has been a long winter and we have had a busy park and stay season and this has caused the lot to run at a maximum and we are sorry for those that do have to park in the back lot. We do always recommend that you check in first so you do not have to carry the bags through the lot. Once again thanks for staying with us and we do hope that you come back soon as you should see some changes to the property as we are planing some redecorating this some to some of our guest areas including all the floors with new carpet!
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed at this particular Holiday Inn because of a 5 day seminar that was taking place in the hotel. The stay was good (not great), room was cozy, clean and the bed was comfy. Used the workout area and pool every day, the workout area was serviceable, good set of dumbbells and a number of treadmills, the all-in-one cable machine was old (from the 80s...maybe the 90s), but did the trick for the most part. The pool area was nice, although, like the cable machine it looks straight outta the 80s and could use some updating! Didn't like that the sauna appears to be permanently closed, that needs to be updated on the site. The WiFi was terrible, I talked to a few people and some were also complaining about how bad it was, while others had no issues so it really depends on what room you're in. I've stayed at a lot of hotels (first review!) and this was the first time I couldn't score myself at least one breakfast voucher, it didn't matter how polite and kind I was to the person at the front desk they just tried to sell me some breakfast package, but I wasn't paying $17 for a breakfast unless I got to try it first. I guess I can't really fault them for not giving me a free breakfast when it's not included, I'm just surprised that my run of free hotel breakfasts came to an end here. Also surprised I couldn't get one considering I was staying a week and if the breakfast was good I would've definitely forked over the money for another. I'm going on too long about the breakfast, plain and simple it was a good, enjoyable stay!

1 Thank Jake G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2014

You can build the greatest hotel in the world but it is the staff who make it magical! Stay at this hotel almost everytime I am in Toronto. The true ambassador of the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport is Mr. Clifton. This gentleman not only takes care of the service but he really cares about the guests. He asks how the stay is and what he can do to make it more stressfree or enjoyable or suggusts attractions to pass the time. He even says Hi when in the restaurant and asks how the meal is. And speaking to him he really cares. Top notch always recommend this Holiday INN! You folks need to give this gentleman a medal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Roger,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your loyality at our location. We couldn't agree with you more that it does take the people to make a stay magical. We are glad to hear that our Evening Manager, Clifton took such great care of you, like he does for all our guests. He really has that Genuine caring service oriented sparkle and we are very glad that he is part of our team. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Mr. Clifton. Again, thanks so much for your loyality and we look forward to your return..... Warm Regards, Ada Hollas, Guest Serivces Manager
Lake Barrington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This property is very close to the airport. One must be aware that there is another Holiday Inn at 600 Dixon Rd. You could take the incorrect shuttle bus if you don't look closely at the address on the bus.
The rooms were nice, updated, clean. But the food was exceptional. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Guy A
Thanks so much for your positive feedback on our hotel. We do have a great team that is passionate about delivering great service to our guests so that we can be a great hotel that guests love! We are very conveniently located to the Pearson International Airport in Toronto with a 24 hour shuttle. I will pass your message onto our Food and Beverage team as they work hard to provide a positive dining experience that exceeds what our guests expect. Our dining room and lounge is a busy place as our guests keep telling us that we have a great product. Thanks again for your feedback!
Cheers
Doug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Westin Toronto Airport
#50 of 134 in Toronto
Etobicoke
Courtyard Toronto Airport
Courtyard Toronto Airport
#69 of 134 in Toronto
Etobicoke
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!