“Staff Excellent”

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Ranked #50 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Found room to be a little bit outdated was expecting more ! Lack of pressure in the shower in the morning was a little disappointing waited for a bit but never got better. Staff were very helpful and friendly I arrived late and were very good on recommending were to get food etc .

Room Tip: Ask for a newer renovated room !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thanks for staying with us and giving us your feedback. Our team does work hard to be incredibly friendly as we believe that is the way we make great hotels guest love! I hope that you get a chance to return as this summer we are planning on doing some redecoration in some of our guest touch areas which will help to give us a new look and feel. We do always try to maintain and keep our product up to date sparkling clean and well maintained.
Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stay in this hotel at 970 Dixon Rd occasionally when we travel, or for conferences close by for my partner's work. Primarily, I choose this hotel because of its location and because we're Priority Club members. This is one of the few where they don't really seem to do anything to recognize loyalty members, which isn't a huge deal but would be nice.

Overall, it's clean enough, usually quiet enough, and a decent place to stay if you have business in the area or are heading to the airport. Parking, however, is a HUGE issue that they really need to get a handle on. Summer isn't so bad, but we were not happy at all about the hike we had to do this time in the freezing weather.

We were here most recently this past two weeks for one night each time, leaving and returning from vacation. I was pretty annoyed that I couldn't park & fly at the hotel because we booked a rewards night and used points for the stay. I asked if I couldn't pay extra for the parking? No, they said, that's not possible. Seems a bit ridiculous to "reward" your loyal customers by letting them use points to book the room, then punishing them by making them get up and leave at 3am to park elsewhere and get a different shuttle.

That stay, I hardly slept at all. It sounded like the planes were taking off from the HI parking lot. We hadn't noticed this before, so I think we must have been on the other side of the hotel for our other stays? This time was definitely way too noisy for sleeping.

We booked another room the night we returned. Again, I like to stay with IHG for the points, but it's getting to the point with this particular hotel that it's not worth it. Still, it's familiar and we were tired so we went with it.

We drove around the parking lot 3 times looking for ANY open spot when we got back. Finally had to wedge in against the fence and hope I wasn't violating any rules. It is a huge parking lot and there is no organization whatsoever as to who parks where. It would make a lot of sense if I didn't have to park in the Back 40 and walk past all the park&fly cars that have been sitting there for a week to get to my hotel room. In the winter, this really and truly sucks. They almost need a shuttle to get people from their lot to the doors - I'm not kidding, I don't know how the elderly or anyone with lower mobility would have navigated the frozen, rutted up parking lot and extreme cold. Either that or assign parking for various durations to different parts of the lot and offer complimentary valet for your long term people, who have to park way at the back. Have attendants out there directing people to the proper areas and open spaces... something! Right now it's a complete zoo.

You almost don't want to leave or have to go anywhere while you're staying here, in case you can't get parked again.

There's really nothing spectacular about this hotel and its major selling point is proximity to the airport. Front desk staff are very nice and good at their jobs and the hotel restaurant is actually pretty good. However, other hotels do those things well, as well, and HI Airport is surrounded by other park & fly hotels. I'm loyal to the brand but this location needs to do a way better job of anticipating what traveling guests need and being able to deliver (hint: they need sleep and don't expect to search 15 minutes for parking only to walk a mile with their suitcase).

Room Tip: Not facing the airport if you want to sleep.

Dear Miranda M
Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. First off lets start with thank you for being a IHG Club loyalty guest. We thank you for being loyal to the brand and staying with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport. I'm glad that you enjoy the dining room and find our staff friendly. As for the parking and being able to pay extra as a loyalty guest we do offer that in off peak times but it is one of the ways we try and manage the parking is buy not over selling. It has been a long winter and we have had a busy park and stay season and this has caused the lot to run at a maximum and we are sorry for those that do have to park in the back lot. We do always recommend that you check in first so you do not have to carry the bags through the lot. Once again thanks for staying with us and we do hope that you come back soon as you should see some changes to the property as we are planing some redecorating this some to some of our guest areas including all the floors with new carpet!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed at this particular Holiday Inn because of a 5 day seminar that was taking place in the hotel. The stay was good (not great), room was cozy, clean and the bed was comfy. Used the workout area and pool every day, the workout area was serviceable, good set of dumbbells and a number of treadmills, the all-in-one cable machine was old (from the 80s...maybe the 90s), but did the trick for the most part. The pool area was nice, although, like the cable machine it looks straight outta the 80s and could use some updating! Didn't like that the sauna appears to be permanently closed, that needs to be updated on the site. The WiFi was terrible, I talked to a few people and some were also complaining about how bad it was, while others had no issues so it really depends on what room you're in. I've stayed at a lot of hotels (first review!) and this was the first time I couldn't score myself at least one breakfast voucher, it didn't matter how polite and kind I was to the person at the front desk they just tried to sell me some breakfast package, but I wasn't paying $17 for a breakfast unless I got to try it first. I guess I can't really fault them for not giving me a free breakfast when it's not included, I'm just surprised that my run of free hotel breakfasts came to an end here. Also surprised I couldn't get one considering I was staying a week and if the breakfast was good I would've definitely forked over the money for another. I'm going on too long about the breakfast, plain and simple it was a good, enjoyable stay!

1  Thank Jake G
Reviewed February 28, 2014

You can build the greatest hotel in the world but it is the staff who make it magical! Stay at this hotel almost everytime I am in Toronto. The true ambassador of the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport is Mr. Clifton. This gentleman not only takes care of the service but he really cares about the guests. He asks how the stay is and what he can do to make it more stressfree or enjoyable or suggusts attractions to pass the time. He even says Hi when in the restaurant and asks how the meal is. And speaking to him he really cares. Top notch always recommend this Holiday INN! You folks need to give this gentleman a medal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Roger,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your loyality at our location. We couldn't agree with you more that it does take the people to make a stay magical. We are glad to hear that our Evening Manager, Clifton took such great care of you, like he does for all our guests. He really has that Genuine caring service oriented sparkle and we are very glad that he is part of our team. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Mr. Clifton. Again, thanks so much for your loyality and we look forward to your return..... Warm Regards, Ada Hollas, Guest Serivces Manager

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This property is very close to the airport. One must be aware that there is another Holiday Inn at 600 Dixon Rd. You could take the incorrect shuttle bus if you don't look closely at the address on the bus.
The rooms were nice, updated, clean. But the food was exceptional. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Guy A

Thanks so much for your positive feedback on our hotel. We do have a great team that is passionate about delivering great service to our guests so that we can be a great hotel that guests love! We are very conveniently located to the Pearson International Airport in Toronto with a 24 hour shuttle. I will pass your message onto our Food and Beverage team as they work hard to provide a positive dining experience that exceeds what our guests expect. Our dining room and lounge is a busy place as our guests keep telling us that we have a great product. Thanks again for your feedback!
Cheers
Doug

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I arrived at the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport on sunday February 23. I was greeted with smiles and fine service at the front desk. I had a nice room that appeared to be relatively clean. The first night there my allergies went wild from the dust and dirt in the air from the air handler in the room. I spoke to the front desk and while I was having dinner the maintenance person came and "cleaned" the filter. My allergies began to ease up. I actually had a decent second night of sleep. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

On Monday morning I went down to get some breakfast. I was told the buffet was the best deal because the buffet included the cost of coffee. The scrambled eggs were dried out and unappetizing. The sausage was OK. There was a selection of fruit that was almost as hard as a rock. The price for the Buffet was $18.00 with tax. That was very overpriced for the quality of food that was offered.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was in meetings and had breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets which was actually quite good. The kicker came on Wednesday evening when a group of 8 of my colleagues had dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. The local farm raise steak was featured on the menu. Steak sounded good so I and and a colleague had sirloin steak and one other member of the group had a veal chop. The three of us agreed it was the worst meat we had ever eaten. About 1/3 of my steak and my colleague's steak was fat and gristle and inedible. The veal chop got the same review. Someone needs to teach the chef how to select beef.

I would strongly suggest that the management of the hotel begin a program of deep cleaning of the carpets in the rooms to get up the dust and dirt that gets tracked in. I actually had to turn off my air handler in the room the second night to reduce my allergic reaction. I know it is winter and people park their cars and the drag their baggage in through the snow and the road dirt. It is tough to keep up with the cleaning under these situations but there should be a try. The woosy vacuum cleaners the housekeepers use is unable to handle the dust and dirt loads.

There is positive feature of the hotel. There is 24 hour shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel houses many of the flight crews from all over the world so the passing crowd in the lobby is interesting to watch.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear teamride
Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations from a food and beverage side of things. Our breakfast buffet is normally well received by our guests and normally get lots of positive feedback on it. As for our beef menu we do feature a local beef which we are proud off and again we have had a lot of positive feedback on our quality of beef. Somehow in your case we did not meet or exceed your expectations and I hope that you do get a chance to come back to the hotel so that you can give us another try. If you do please let me know as I want to ensure we do something for you so that we can regain the food and beverage credibility with you! Our staff does work hard to create great guest experiences each and every day.
Regards

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is more of a review of a person than the overall property. The property earns a Very Good Rating, but Tauris at the front desk earns higher than excellent from this frequent traveler. An associate and I arrived shortly after they had a little trouble with their computer system. In most cases any seasoned front person would be a little rattled but Tauris was phenomenal. Her incredibly warm and genuine smile never left her face as she made us feel like we were coming home.
I hope management knows what a great employee they have in her. I will definitely return because of Tauris.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Peter G
Thank you so much for staying with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport and sharing your comments with us! I could not agree more with you that "People make the difference" and your comments about Tauris! We are so pleased to have Tauris on our team and she has gotten so many comments recently it is great that our guests see he genuine service ability! Her smile is so brilliant it lights up the lobby! I believe we have a great service culture and it starts and finishes with great people and that is our goal to have great hotel that people love!
Cheers till next time!
DougGM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Airport
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East
Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport
Best Western Premier Toronto Airport Carlingview Hotel
The Westin Toronto Airport
#60 of 135 in Toronto

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!