“Needs a deep cleaning and a better Cheff”

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Ranked #49 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I arrived at the Holiday Inn Toronto Airport on sunday February 23. I was greeted with smiles and fine service at the front desk. I had a nice room that appeared to be relatively clean. The first night there my allergies went wild from the dust and dirt in the air from the air handler in the room. I spoke to the front desk and while I was having dinner the maintenance person came and "cleaned" the filter. My allergies began to ease up. I actually had a decent second night of sleep. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

On Monday morning I went down to get some breakfast. I was told the buffet was the best deal because the buffet included the cost of coffee. The scrambled eggs were dried out and unappetizing. The sausage was OK. There was a selection of fruit that was almost as hard as a rock. The price for the Buffet was $18.00 with tax. That was very overpriced for the quality of food that was offered.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was in meetings and had breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets which was actually quite good. The kicker came on Wednesday evening when a group of 8 of my colleagues had dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. The local farm raise steak was featured on the menu. Steak sounded good so I and and a colleague had sirloin steak and one other member of the group had a veal chop. The three of us agreed it was the worst meat we had ever eaten. About 1/3 of my steak and my colleague's steak was fat and gristle and inedible. The veal chop got the same review. Someone needs to teach the chef how to select beef.

I would strongly suggest that the management of the hotel begin a program of deep cleaning of the carpets in the rooms to get up the dust and dirt that gets tracked in. I actually had to turn off my air handler in the room the second night to reduce my allergic reaction. I know it is winter and people park their cars and the drag their baggage in through the snow and the road dirt. It is tough to keep up with the cleaning under these situations but there should be a try. The woosy vacuum cleaners the housekeepers use is unable to handle the dust and dirt loads.

There is positive feature of the hotel. There is 24 hour shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel houses many of the flight crews from all over the world so the passing crowd in the lobby is interesting to watch.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear teamride
Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations from a food and beverage side of things. Our breakfast buffet is normally well received by our guests and normally get lots of positive feedback on it. As for our beef menu we do feature a local beef which we are proud off and again we have had a lot of positive feedback on our quality of beef. Somehow in your case we did not meet or exceed your expectations and I hope that you do get a chance to come back to the hotel so that you can give us another try. If you do please let me know as I want to ensure we do something for you so that we can regain the food and beverage credibility with you! Our staff does work hard to create great guest experiences each and every day.
Regards

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is more of a review of a person than the overall property. The property earns a Very Good Rating, but Tauris at the front desk earns higher than excellent from this frequent traveler. An associate and I arrived shortly after they had a little trouble with their computer system. In most cases any seasoned front person would be a little rattled but Tauris was phenomenal. Her incredibly warm and genuine smile never left her face as she made us feel like we were coming home.
I hope management knows what a great employee they have in her. I will definitely return because of Tauris.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Peter G
Thank you so much for staying with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport and sharing your comments with us! I could not agree more with you that "People make the difference" and your comments about Tauris! We are so pleased to have Tauris on our team and she has gotten so many comments recently it is great that our guests see he genuine service ability! Her smile is so brilliant it lights up the lobby! I believe we have a great service culture and it starts and finishes with great people and that is our goal to have great hotel that people love!
Cheers till next time!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

First the good. The women working the front desk were very helpful and professional. The workout room is much better than I expected.
The bad. PARKING. If you are a stay, fly and park person then this hotel may appeal to you. If you are regular hotel quest go somewhere else. First the parking costs $17.00 a night. Second you can't find a spot anywhere near the front entrance. I managed to park my truck on top of a huge snow pile. There is really is no excuse for the parking situation.
The bar. I will never understand why hotels charge so much in their bars. All they do is drive people to other spots. Case in point. Two draft beers and the bill was $20.00 with a dip!! Left and walked three minutes from the hotel and there were two very good restaurants and bars.
Rooms. Very dated. They claim the hotel has been renovated but very hard to tell.
If you are looking to stay by the airport there are much better places for the same money.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Mot51
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feed back with us as it is important to us to get as much feedback as we can. I'm pleased that you found the front desk employee to be very friendly and helpful as we pride ourselves on having a culture that allows are employees to be themselves and be incredibly friendly. Our full service hotel does offer many services and glad that you were able to avail to some of these such as our large fitness room. As for the parking as you eluded too we have many different packages on the park stay and fly which have been busier than normal and this at times causes disruption in the lot as the lot gets crowded then with the winter we have had where the snow has stayed with us more than normal causes even more disruption and we do apologize that you were not able to find a spot closer to the hotel. As for charging for parking you can only imagine the lots in the area if it was free there is a demand in the airport area for parking. As for the room product I'm pleased to say that this year we have plans in the summer to continue to work and update our product with a focus on the guest room and guest touch areas. Thanks again for your feed back and I do hope that you get a chance to stay again!
Regards

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our travel agent gave us an awesome deal with this hotel for a stay and park and fly for 15 days. It came to just over $110.00. We have not done this sort of thing in over 20 years of travel preferring just to drive into the airport the day of flying and using the park n fly. This winter though we thought we would not chance it and decided to go to Toronto the night before. I had requested a high floor in the email and the highest I could get was the 7th floor. We even checked in right after 3 p.m. I am not sure if the other higher floor rooms would of been quieter, but was slightly disappointed. I asked the girl at check-in for the quietest room possible as I am a very light sleeper (sleep with ear plugs and white noise also!) She gave us a room across from the stairs and assured us it would be the quietest room. Well at 1:30 in the morning I was awoken to loud bangs of doors shutting. I am not sure if this was the stairwell, but after that could not get back to sleep. Did notice also the constant airline noise of planes flying overhead.. I guess the rules of planes not flying in the middle of the night in Toronto has stopped? The room itself was ok.. but the bathroom was looking tired and old with many cracked tiles, etc. The best of the room stay was room service. We were so tired and did not want to go to a restaurant that the room service was really nice and really good. On coming home our car was really buried in snow.. and my husband could not figure out how to get out of the lot with the bars down.. He had to walk back to the hotel to ask them.. and there response was "just hit the buzzer and they will let you out". well wouldn't a sign stating that be nice so you do not have to walk back to hotel to figure it out?? All in all it was a good deal and next time will know how to get out and will insist on a higher floor with a quieter room if possible. I know they cannot control what other guest do.. but I do wish other guests would have consideration and not slam their doors in the middle of the night. Maybe signs stating this would be helpful?

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Awsomegal, thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback. We do have some great park and fly packages and it so much easier to stay at the hotel park your car relax in comfortable room and enjoy the amenities that the hotel has to offer. I agree I enjoy kicking back and having room service and I'm glad you enjoyed that part of your stay. Your comments about the parking gate and not being able to exit we are on a License Plate recognition system so it is very important to register your plate with us upon check in. As for a sign at the gate to let people know to hit call button we are working on that sign as we speak thanks again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our travel agent arranged a park/stay/fly package for us Jan.2014. We have used MANY different programs with different hotel chains with various levels of satisfaction. My wife and I are both seniors and could use some assistance from time to time. The hotel confirmed by email we would be guaranteed a handicap room with a roll in shower before our arrival.The day of our check in was an unpleasant weather day. Upon our arrival, the concierge took over total control. He immediately assisted me into the lobby, escourted my wife, requested the car keys and waived all charges for valet parking as well as bringing our luggage to us. On our return flight there was a weather delay so we decided to stay the additional night due to our late arrival. The level of service,assistance and caring was also phenominal.THANK YOU again Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport---we are looking forward to our next stay and currently are sharing our most positive experience with other travellers.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Priya D, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Dziadziu,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport. We are very happy that you were able to take advantage of our park and stay package. It's very convenient as we are so close to the airport. Our staff members show they care. We are pleased to hear that our concierge took action and assisted you in so many ways and again on your return stay, you received phenomenal service. We take pride in providing a Great Hotel That Guests Love and we are happy to hear that because of this, you will be returning and recommending us to other travelers. We are looking forward to seeing you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Priya D. - Guest Services Supervisor

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Did the stay, park and fly deal through the hotel and we weren't disappointed. We were told to park in the back section of the parking lot, which we did, so the regular customers could have the closer parking. Booked a king room, very nice, clean and tidy. Internet connection good and fast. Took advantage of the large heated indoor pool and hot tub. Also worked out in the exercise room which is a large size with lots of Fitness Life cardio equipment. There is a restaurant in the hotel and also lots of restaurants in the area, so lots of dining choices. The next morning we found out our flight was delayed 5 hours and the front desk had no problem allowing us to arrange a late check out. Hotel shuttle to the airport runs every half hour. On our return, it was snowing but found the parking lot was plowed and no issues in getting our vehicle out. This was our third time using this hotel for the park and fly feature as we live a distance from Toronto. We find it a nice way to start the holiday early and ensure we are in Toronto for our flight as you can't always count on the weather, especially this winter.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear MuskokaMan
Thanks for your review on our hotel. I see that you were able to use a lot of our great services at the hotel. We are proud to have the only full sized indoor and outdoor pool in the airport area. We have been busy with our park and stay packages this season I guess that says something about the winter we are having. Our dining room and lounge is a perfect place to enjoy a evening cocktail or nice dinner to start your vacation off! I hope you tried our Eat Local Drink Local steak promotional menu we are featuring in the dining room. Thanks again for staying with us and hope to see your back on your next travels!!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Knowing that our flight from Cuba was arriving in TO late, we decided to arrange a hotel. This hotel accommodated us leaving our car for 8 days & then staying at the hotel upon our return. The bus used to transfer us to & from the airport appeared extremely old and was very cold.

The hotel room was comfortable & featured Bath & Body Works products. My only suggestion would be to have 2 bottles of shampoo on hand (they are very small) & provide conditioner.

We'll definitely use this hotel again for overnight stays.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank destination_sun

Thanks for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport!! I'm glad that you found our services great as we try hard to be a great hotel that guests love. We have seen a lot of our Park and Stay packages sell as people are getting away from the cold weather. Our 24hr shuttle to and from the airport is a great service that we offer. Thanks for your comments on the amenities in the room we will take that into consideration as we try hard not to waste but give the appropriate amount of shampoo and always have extras available if required and one of our housekeeping team would be pleased to bring it up to the room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Etobicoke
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East
Westin Toronto Airport
#63 of 138 in Toronto

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!