“Ice cold room, there are other airport hotels”

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Ranked #49 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed December 11, 2013

After an exhausting commute - a day and a half- the room was ICE COLD.
After a luxury Holiday Inn in Jordan (booked by the same tour group), Canada looked and felt like the Third World.
This room was booked months in advance, and confirmed just before the trip. Why wasn't the
room prepared? There were no thermostats on the walls.
I have called, with no response. I will call the tour company that books this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Deborah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Holdiay Inn Toronto International Airport. We would like to apologize that your stay was not enjoyable and we did not meet your expectations. We have tried to contact you unsuccessfully wth the number from your reservation but would love the opportunity to discuss your experience further, can you please contact me at yyzialistens@ihg.com. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.... Warm Regards, Ada, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here overnite for a connection flight next morning. Was clean and had friendly staff but definitely could use some maitenance. Bathroom door was awful to open & when ever I opened the bathroom door the towel rack would fall off onto the floor. Charged for local calling which I thought was a bit much and I never complain as you would see in all my reviews but just thought for a holiday inn , could be in a bit better condition but like I said it was comfy enough for a short overnite stay & staff was friendly.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Karen B
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your stay with us at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport! I'm glad that you found our staff friendly we do work hard to be a friendly hotel where guests and our associates can be themselves. As for the maintenance issues that you eluded to I would like for you to reach out to me directly at YYZIAlistens@ihg.com so I can get more detail on the room as this is something we would want to jump on and get repaired right away. Just to give you an update we are finalizing our capital plans for 2014 and will continue to focus on updating our product with particular focus on our guest touch areas such are the rooms and the lobby! Thanks again for staying with us and I hope that you will return soon and see some of the changes we are making to the property.
Regards
GMYYZIA

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I just checked into my room, I'm exhausted and can shrug stuff off because I'm too tired to care...

But then I go to the pool and there is a cockroach by the hot tub! Maitre nice cleaned it up, but it makes me question - are there more?

Back to the room I go to take a shower, I had to clean it first, someone's hair was in it!!!!! The glasses and ice box in the bathroom - also dirty.

I'm going to sleep tonight - not comfortably and will be looking to check out early tommorow.

Beyond this, the hotel bus driver was rude, and hotel is under maintenance. There should be a discount when the place is under construction.

Oi va! Take my advice and don't book here!

• Stayed: November 2013
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear MaggieEG
I want to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give us your feed back. I want to start by apologizing for your experience. I'm taken back on your comments in regards to the cleanness of the hotel as we do pride ourselves on having a clean and well maintained hotel. I will share your comments with our Housekeeping team so that they can look into these issues. We do have a proactive pest control program with a third party partner in order to be pest free. As for renovations we are currently working on some repairs on our roof which does not interfere with the services that we provide but we are always reinvesting back into the property which is critical to maintaining a great hotel that guests love. Thanks again for sharing your comments!
Regards
YYZIA GM

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed on a slow Sunday night. As a Platinum, my only request was a quiet room. Was ultimately given the night from hell due to staff negligence.

Good
+Nice work desk area, tilting chair, large mirror
+Heated bathroom floor (the six 12"x12" tiles where you can take one step from the hallway to the shower)
+Good soundproofing from hallway; no gaps in door
+Fine, albeit small whirlpool
+Dennis the bartender was very efficient and provided the best service in the hotel

Bad
-No real tangible benefits for Platinums, who are given undesirable rooms, even on slow nights
-Paid for king, given twin bed room facing runway (only request was quiet king room) with virtually no amenities (strange given that well over half of their 450+ rooms are single king beds)
-Woken up ajar shortly after 8am to sudden non-stop hammering and pneumatic drilling - working directly above my room! Might as well have been right next to the bed
-Non-existent soundproofing of windows, planes roar 17.5 hours/day despite being 2km north of flight paths/runway - expect to hear the the loud grumbling of landing brakes and jet engines 90% of the time from 6am to 11:30pm
-Ordered film, an hour in, it automatically shut off and returned to main screen with untouched remote on table (was told by front desk I should have re-ordered it and waited another hour to get back to the original point. Sigh.)
-Rooms and many public areas are in dire need of a facelift
-Claustrophobic bathroom where door clears toilet by 0.5cm and one-piece plastic shower
-No fridge or microwave ... small enclosure where ice machine is stored is easily 85oF - an unsanitary bacteria/e-coli factory
-Filthy windows with smudges throughout have not been cleaned in weeks; hair on menus
-Water in room $5.45/bottle. Seriously? Vending machine only accepts credit (no change)
-Nobody at concierge during peak check-in/check out times
-Offered a mere 500 points (when most HI properties charge 30,000/night) upon explaining the sleepless night and other inconveniences (points never posted to the IHG account)

Upon check out, staff indicated that MANY other guests complained of the drilling, but repeatedly told to please come back to the hotel. Why would one return to where nobody values your time or bothers to compensate a lost night and ruined day? Evidently they lack proper training at this property. There are over 450 rooms here, absolutely no reason to rent out directly under major hotel construction. Common sense would dictate that rooms near the 8AM drilling and hammering should have been blocked out for the duration of the work, to which I was given wide-eyed looks and an empty apology.

Management and front desk staff should sleep here facing the runway right below the 8AM drilling and hammering the day of important business presentations to get a real sense of what unfortunate travelers face! There are FAR better options in the neighborhood where one can sleep in peace and comfort. Within the IHG family alone, the Crowne Plaza and Indigo are immensely superior options to this disaster, and at a lower price point ... and also recognize and provide useful perks for Platinum members.

Room Tip: Unless you like waking to pneumatic drilling at 8am, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Ada H, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Stigs17,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We welcome all feedback as it gives us an opportunity in continuously improving our products and services. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed some of the amenities in your room such as the work area, mirror and our heating floors. We will also be sure to pass your kind words to our Restuarant Manager regarding your pleasant service in the Lounge. We would like to personally apologize that the rest of your stay was not satisfying. We are undergoing some construction on our Roof, which would have caused the noise you heard in the morning. As one of our valued Platinum IHG rewards members we would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you further Please contact me at yyzialistens@ihg.com.........Warm Regards, Ada, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I went for a business meeting, the staff is very kind, the food is really good, and the bedroom was very clean, the only thing that bothered me was a humidity on the ceiling that fell over me when i was sitting on the desk doing some working stuff. They have to fix it, and give maintenance to the building.
Even the ballrooms are excellent for business meetings, and its near to the airport, so for the purpose of my trip was perfect

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Maria_AGE
Thanks so much for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel! We at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel! We strive to be GREAT HOTEL that GUEST LOVES!! I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our full service hotel and we certainly have your needs covered when it comes to meetings with our full service conference facility. As you mentioned we are very convenient to the Airport and the complimentary shuttle makes it easy to get to and from. I will have our maintenance team have a look at your comment in regards to humidity as that is not a common issue we have heard about! Thanks again for staying with us as we know you have choices and we are pleased that you chose us!!
Kind Regards

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had a bit of a strange experience when I was given the room key at the front desk and it turned out that the room was already occupied when I walked in. Lucky I didn't intrude on anything embarrassing! No problem as I went back down to the desk and was given an upgraded room in compensation.

Very nice hotel and friendly staff. I would have preferred breakfast be included but that's a minor quibble.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Priya D, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Lee S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport. I do apologize about your experience with the occupied room at check-in. I'm please that our staff were able to deliver great service handling the the situation and that this did not hamper you from enjoying our facility overall. We do have breakfast packages available for any future stays you may have with us. Thanks once again, it would be our pleasure to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel was fairly typical of airport hotel.
It needs updating.It was clean, the room was of a good size, everything worked.

My criticism: the front desk staff were not helpful, nor friendly, every request seemed to an effort.
I had a lot of luggage that i kept in storage overnight, it was difficult to track down the right person, no one else seemed inclined to help. He then dropped the luggage in front of me, didn't get a cart nor assist in any other way.

The attitude seemed to be: you're just passing through why bother providing good service that maybe the attitude of Holiday Inn management because it really needs updating.

The restaurant food was excellent, the wait staff were excellent nothing but good things to say about the restaurant.

I would go back because of the restaurant only.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Bluenoser55
I want to say thanks for choosing the Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport as you do have many choices at the Airport area and IHG is glad that you choose one of our brands to stay at. I have to apologize to you in regards to the attitude of the staff at the front desk area. This is not typical of them and we certainly continue to work on our engagement scores with the team as it is very important to who we are and our being an engaged hotel the guest love. Our ownership team continues to reinvest in the property and is in the capital planning stages for 2014 and we will be doing work that will be guest touch areas that our guests will notice the upgrades to the hotel which is exciting. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy our full service restaurant the Metropolitan and hope you were able to take advantage of our Eat Local Drink Local promotional menu we are offering. I will share your comments to our team in the Metropolitan...thanks again for staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Etobicoke
Holiday Inn Toronto Airport East
Westin Toronto Airport
#63 of 138 in Toronto

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!