“they have ruined InterContinental Brand name”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Honolulu, Hawaii
“they have ruined InterContinental Brand name”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We have just stayed in InterContinental Toronto Centre. We were so disappointed that we will not stay in InterContinental Hotels again. The room was old and smelly. We have to call many times to get everything. Now, we are going to book many hotels in other part of the world. Since this bad experience, we don't trust this brand name again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ABCDEFg7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Stayed here for four nights on a combined business and leisure trip. My wife joined me for the first two days and night, then left me to my conference (next door at the MTCC) for the rest of the stay.

Check-in was high-class. They allowed us to park ($40 for valet) and check-in early, and the process was smooth in both cases. A package had been sent to me earlier in the week and the front desk made sure I knew where to go to get it. This is a small thing, but in some hotels picking up pre-shipped material is arduous and stressful. Intercontinental has the process down to a smooth professional transaction.

We had a junior King suite, which consisted of a spacious bedroom open to a small living room, a hallway and the bathroom. For two, it's just enough space. For me alone, it was ample room to spread out and relax each night. There are two 32" flat screens in the room(s), as well as a desk/workspace with free regular tethered internet, or wi-fi for a price. Luckily for us we had a spectacular view of the CN Tower, SkyDome, Island airport, and harbour.

The room was decorated nicely, with slightly upscale furniture/carpets, and even bamboo flooring. I found the walls a little bashed up and aged -- wallpaper is starting to peel -- but otherwise it's modern and comfortable, if not totally luxurious. Cleaning staff were attentive and kind, taking great care to return the room to its pristine state each day. Staff throughout the hotel were courteous and professional, effiecient and pleasant at all times.

The downside? Intercontinental's pricing is high. Room service and restaurant prices are utterly excessive ($22+ for a two-egg breakfast), which makes it necessary to go elsewhere for all meals. If you can upgrade to the Executive levels for $20 a night, getting free breakfast and wifi, it's more than worth it. I couldn't justify that to my company, so I had to scramble to get food outside of the hotel each morning.

Other than that, my only beef was with the elevators -- we were on the 24th floor (of 25)...and each time we needed an elevator it was slow to come, and then made countless stops on the way down. The hotel would be wise to dedicate banks of elevators to certain floors (ie one bank serves floors 3 to 13, the other 14 to 25). Other guests had the same comment as I did on this one -- at least it gave us something to talk about as we waited through the frustration.

Finally, a correction on something an earlier reviewer said -- the hotel is in fact very close to the PATH system. Directly across Front Street from the hotel is an entrance to the PATH. So in any weather, you can get yourself around without getting soaked.

Given its central location (walk to the Convention centre, waterfront and ferries, CN Tower, SkyDome, Entertainment District, Distillery District, etc), its wonderful staff, and its luxurious feel, the InterContinental is a safe bet for those seeking mid-to-high range accommodations. But be prepared, the prices will add up quickly!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Recently finished renovations in part of the hotel mean that you can choose between the modern decor, and a more classic style.

Odd shaped building means that some of the rooms are very very far away from the elevators (Rooms ending 00 to 14 seemed the furthest)

Tried out the spa services - the pool was very cold!
Staff were very nice and attentive; Breakfast buffet is nice, but very very expensive; choose a local diner or even Tim Hortons down the street

All in a great hotel

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
xchurch
Reviewed June 1, 2010

we stayed here for three nights and everything was excellent,, the position in downtown toronto near the c.n.tower and lake ontario was in walking distance excellent shopping close by and the hotel was run by very friendly staff .the rooms all very big and clean.the one fault was not enough lifts for the number of rooms

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This was one of the preferred hotels for my business conference because of the proximity to the office but I found it be a lot nicer than I thought. From the exterior its looks a bit outdated but inside the lobby was nice along with the rooms. It has a modern look to it. Alot of my other work colleagues stayed at the Fairmont which is the complete opposite (beautiful from the exterior but the rooms outdated). I was happy with my stay (I only really went there to sleep). I never got a chance to check out the gym, pool or restaurant. I will note during my stay 2 of the elevators were broken and I would end waiting 10 minutes for the elevator. Aside from that the Intercontinental was great.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
High Wycombe, UK
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Flying back from Barbados to London via Toronto (cheap flights), we got stranded by the unpronounceable Icelandic volcano. "God grant me the patience to bear the things I cannot change...." so we found a good online rate at the Intercontinental and checked in for a few days to wait for the ash to clear or the Europeans to decide that it wasn't as dangerous as they thought.
Excellent choice. We looked pretty scruffy but nobody batted an eyelid. Checkin and out were fast, courteous and efficient. The room was very acceptable - not large, but quiet and comfortable. Excellent breakfast with superb service. 24 hour business centre with (billed) internet access for finding when you might get a flight home. Close to the rail station, the CN tower, the lakefront and on the tour bus routes. Nice swimming pool for the wife and son. Had an excellent visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New York City
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed here because it was convenient to the convention center. Worst decision I ever made. There was a LOUD jackhammer-like noise that the staff first played dumb about (hmmm...not sure what that could be?). When I persisted, I was assured that the noise was elevator construction that would end by 5 pm. When the sound persisted at 8:30 pm, I was told that the staff was well aware of the problem, but tough luck, they were out of rooms away from the elevator. It kept me up at night and tortured me (even TV on full blast didn't drown it out). COMPLETELY ruined trip - I couldn't work in my room, couldn't rest, couldn't sleep at night, couldn't even hear the TV over the awful noise. The lying and deception only made it worse. Seems like they keep moving people around because everyone in an elevator room complains. NIGHTMARE!!!

In addition to that, the room was shabby, some items were broken, recently installed room safe was FILLED with debris, carpet was stained, lighting was too dim, and the TV was an old fashioned 19" tube TV (non-digital). I expect lot more for such an expensive hotel!!!!! I would never, ever stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business