“a converted crowne plaza, and it shows”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Brooklyn, NY
“a converted crowne plaza, and it shows”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

Now that I've stayed here, I think I can help resolve the huge difference between so many of the reviews here. I have stayed at many InterContinental Hotels in Europe, and this one does not measure up to even the worst day at any of them, but there is a very good reason why; it's a converted Crowne Plaza. A very old Crowne Plaza.

When you enter the hotel for the first time, it's all InterContinental. Very beautiful, modern and clean, with staff who are anxious to serve. Check in was a breeze, and then I took the elevator (very nice elevator, too) to the 21st floor. I felt like I stepped into a time warp when I got off the elevator -- it was 1978 from the floor to the ceiling. All topaz, and other colors that go with topaz. When I got to my room it was more of the same. The only "InterContinental" part was the bed linens. Everything else was classic, cheap hotel. The room smelled very stale -- like a converted smoking room -- and everything was horribly disappointing. The thermostat still says Crowne Plaza.

I called to request another room and was sent to the 16th floor where a bellman met me with new keys. This is a remodeled floor. It's like 50% InterContinental -- modern decor but more than a little disheveled. My room was much better, but nothing (and I mean nothing) like an InterContinental room in Europe. The smell was the same because the ancient, loud, rattling ventilation system is there for good. The 15-year old, 27-inch television had a distorted picture because the TV signal for some channels is HD squeezed into a box format. The desk chair was broken; the seat was falling through the middle. Both the wireless and ethernet internet access were abysmally slow. The bathroom had been touched up, but not gutted like it should have been after 20 or so years. In short it was a $150 per night room that I was paying $300 for.

I could go on with tons of examples, but suffice it to say the hotel will disappoint anyone who has stayed at another InterContinental hotel pretty much anywhere. And at $300 per night it is horribly overpriced. If you can stay here for $100-$150, that's almost worth it. But be sure to request a remodeled room, unless you want to revisit your cheap hotel stays from the 70's.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank cineluxe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

Our family of four arrived at the InterContinental to find they had, in the words of my son, “pulled an airline.” They were overbooked. No problem, we were given a free upgrade to a two story suite. The room was spacious, elegant and clean, if a bit worn. But since we were paying for a basic two-bed room, we weren’t about to complain. (We figured this was the suite kept for free upgrades and suspected the others were more polished.) We did complain, repeatedly, when we turned in for the night and found the fold-out sofa (there was only one bed in the loft upstairs) had no linens. A call to housekeeping was followed by a trip to the front desk half an hour later and a second call to housekeeping twenty minutes after that. Our first call to housekeeping was made at about 11:15. At 12:40 my son was sprawled on the floor, my husband was nodding off in a chair, and I marched down to the front desk where I finally found a sympathetic staff member who delivered two sheets, one blanket, and one pillow to our room himself. He offered to hunt for another pillow, but given the hour and the excess of pillows on the bed upstairs, we declined and finally made up our bed. Granted, a convention was on that weekend, but a hotel of the supposed calibre of the InterContinental should be able to deal with the extra demands. The location is great; the rooms are fine; but until the service picks up, I recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank snullr
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

I always think of InterContinental as an upscale business hotel that is less than 4 seasons, but still 4 stars. NOT TORONTO. SO many things were wrong, they should take the InteContinental name off the front. The halls had old pizza boxes and room service trays left for over 12 hours. Maid service basically consisted of making the bed and fluffing the pillows. It was hard to tell if the room had been cleaned at all. COCKROACHES in the bath room, room service that never calls back after putting you on intermittable hold, the list goes on. Sadly to make matters worse, the front desk was sullen and hardly interested in their guests, and when I filled out a lengthy comment card, I never heard a word back. I am a high status member of many airlines and hotels, including InterCon Ambassador, and I have never been more disappointed in a hotel property. Simply put: AVOID.

• Stayed August 2008
luckychris101
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

We were very happy with our room and the location of this hotel. Our room had a view directly over the train tracks of Union Station but never heard the trains go by. Once we parked the car, we never had to use it again. We walked to everything. The CN Tower is right next door as well as the Blue Jays stadium. The room was great with a VERY comfortable bed and upgraded bathroom amenities. There was always someone available to assist us when we needed someone. The front desk converted our US$ to CAN$. The concierge helped us with tix to Second City. Breakfast buffet had great variety with meats, omelet station, pastries, cereals, etc. It was however, as with most hotel breakfasts, very expensive. ($60+ for two)

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

I stayed here for 4 days on a business trip

The front of house team lost all details and made me wait 50 minutes while they sorted the shambles out

When I went to my floor where the room was I was met with laundry all over the floor and a desk and office chairs in the corridor

The rooms when "cleaned" mearly had the pillows fluffed and bed made

When complaining they refused to give any details of the GM and refused to get the duty manager - what a shambles

On a positive note good location and gym facility, but I was told I couldn't go onto the swimming pool terrace unless I booked a spa treatment.........

Could it get any worse ! Dont wast your time or money there are far better in Toronto

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Staff behaviour
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

We loved this hotel, everything about it. The staff were so lovely on arrival and then later in the day sent us up a welcoming basket of fruit and Canadian maple syrup and with a lovely welcoming card. Our views out over the lake and of the CN Tower were amazing especially at night time, left the curtains open so we could watch the lights on the CN tower. This hotel was everything that we wanted and would definately stay here again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

A group of us stayed in this hotel just the past week, we were informed by the Travel agent that it was a 5 star hotel, and were looking forward to staying in one. When we got there there the lobby was very modern, and it was hard to actually find the check in desk. One of the rooms we booked was a smoking room, and the other was a non-smoking room. The smoking room was the larger of the two rooms, but could have been cleaned a bit better, the non-smoking room was condisderably smaller then the smoking room. We had a few drinks in the bar, but the attitude of the staff there was not conducive to staying there at all. You are near everything in downtown Toronto, and the majority of staff were very helpful and obliging, some need to get customer service skills. you are close to the CN tower, and there is a spa and gym in the hotel. But 5 stars it is not, more like a 3 star hotel,

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — not 5 star when you went past the lobby
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends