“Appauling - what a dirty shambles”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
london
“Appauling - what a dirty shambles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

I stayed here for 4 days on a business trip

The front of house team lost all details and made me wait 50 minutes while they sorted the shambles out

When I went to my floor where the room was I was met with laundry all over the floor and a desk and office chairs in the corridor

The rooms when "cleaned" mearly had the pillows fluffed and bed made

When complaining they refused to give any details of the GM and refused to get the duty manager - what a shambles

On a positive note good location and gym facility, but I was told I couldn't go onto the swimming pool terrace unless I booked a spa treatment.........

Could it get any worse ! Dont wast your time or money there are far better in Toronto

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Staff behaviour
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

We loved this hotel, everything about it. The staff were so lovely on arrival and then later in the day sent us up a welcoming basket of fruit and Canadian maple syrup and with a lovely welcoming card. Our views out over the lake and of the CN Tower were amazing especially at night time, left the curtains open so we could watch the lights on the CN tower. This hotel was everything that we wanted and would definately stay here again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

A group of us stayed in this hotel just the past week, we were informed by the Travel agent that it was a 5 star hotel, and were looking forward to staying in one. When we got there there the lobby was very modern, and it was hard to actually find the check in desk. One of the rooms we booked was a smoking room, and the other was a non-smoking room. The smoking room was the larger of the two rooms, but could have been cleaned a bit better, the non-smoking room was condisderably smaller then the smoking room. We had a few drinks in the bar, but the attitude of the staff there was not conducive to staying there at all. You are near everything in downtown Toronto, and the majority of staff were very helpful and obliging, some need to get customer service skills. you are close to the CN tower, and there is a spa and gym in the hotel. But 5 stars it is not, more like a 3 star hotel,

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — not 5 star when you went past the lobby
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

I booked this hotel on Hotwire for a quick weekend getaway following a business trip. Online postings tipped me off that Hotwire's 4.5 star offering for $105 per night was the Intercontinental. At this price, it was a superb value. The location is fantastic. Had I paid the regular room rate, I'm not sure I would have found it to be a great value.

Stayed August 2008
New York, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

The hotel itself is definitely not 4.5 stars. My family (Wife and 2 elementary schoolers) and I stayed for one night. Valet Parking is U$32 for 24 hours (this allows you take the car out without additional charge). The staff is used to business travellers and is not very friendly. The hotel rooms are a step above the Comfort Inn with finer linens and draperies (the furniture is a bit old). The bathroom only has one light so taking a shower is a bit dark. I'm sure this hotel fits the bill for people attending a convention. But, this is not a family friendly hotel. The only positive thing about this hotel is it's location right next to the CN tower.

• Liked — Distance to CN tower
  • Disliked — The Staff (Front Desk, Concierge, Door)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Having_a_great_day
Greensboro, NC / North Myrtle Beach, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Intercontinental Toronto Centre has a great location near Union Station and the CN Tower in downtown Toronto. I booked this room using a discount hotel website, and paid approx. $140/night. For that price, I believe I got good value for my money. However, had I paid the regular rate of nearly $400/night for this room, I would have been greatly disappointed.

Due to road construction, finding the hotel's parking entrance was tricky, but once we got inside, the amount of parking was rather plentiful (but tight for SUVs and expensive: about C$18/day). Front desk check-in was quick, but I felt that I did not receive the attention a customer paying full price would have received; I believe the front desk clerk thought I was a low-class person because I refused help with my luggage and asked the hotel to remove me from the C$1.50/day newspaper delivery service. While this may seem cheap to some, the fact is that I am a doctoral student who can't afford to be nickeled-and-dimed to death. (Fortunately, the check-out clerk was much more friendly, nearly flirtatious!)

The room was quite large with very comfortable mattresses and new-appearing carpeting. Our excellent views of the CN Tower and Lake Ontario were facilitated by enormous windows. However, the furnishings appeared worn and second-rate, considering the hotel's normal price-point. Likewise, a cheap, mid-1990s-era, small RCA color TV occupied an enormous entertainment unit. The bathroom was all marble tile and quite spacious but poorly-lit. The decor of the room, and of the hotel in general, was about 10 years out-of-date.

My companions and I did not use room service, nor did we use the in-room mini bar (the charges were outrageous: a candy bar or bag of M&Ms for C$4.50, a liter of bottled water for C$6, and so on). The meals at the in-hotel restaurant looked wonderful, but were greatly over our budget; the breakfast bar alone was C$21 per person.

Intercontinental Toronto Centre is a great deal provided you can book online for $125-175/night. It has great views, a convenient location, and comfortable accommodations. However, it is certainly not worth the $375-400/night "regular" rate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expensive extras
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank history_prof_2b
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

We were expecting luxury accommodations comparable to a previous Intercontinental stay in Montreal. However, when we checked into our room, we noticed that this was the same hotel in Toronto that we stayed in 6 years ago. Back then, it was the Crowne Plraza and has since been converted to an Intercontinental. We were a little disappointed and were glad we did not pay too much for the room, which was booked through Hotwire. It was not 4.5 stars. We would rate it 3 stars at the most, and that's being generous. Rooms were not the cleanest (dusty) and the furnishings need replacement. Mattresses were very small, old TV, lamp knobs fell off, torn duvet cover. Leaky faucets and terrible dark lighting in the bathroom. Hallways smelled musty. The lobby area was attractive but we noticed that the ceiling needed epair. Internet was $9.95 for 24 hrs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family