“Great for IHG Platinums, but service didn't meet standards”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Great for IHG Platinums, but service didn't meet standards”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Usually I try to avoid Intercontinentals as an IHG Platinum, because only Ambassadors get benefits. This IC is different! They upgraded my room, gave me a free club pass, and even delivered my breakfast for free!

The only downside was that the parking rates are insane ($50/day)... try to find parking around the corner... it's $10/day.

Also - the staff was a little standoffish... didn't greet us at the car, and we had to go to the lobby before they would send anyone to take our car - the bellmen refused.

As a dual US/Canadian citizen, I've found that Canadian customer service is much worse than American, so comparing this hotel relative to other Canadian ones, I'd say that this customer service was on par with if not slightly above the norm.

Room Tip: Ask for a water-view room. It's worth it, especially if you're into aviation! (you can see...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear maxdatraveler,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor as well. I would again like to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory service you received during your stay and can assure you that this is not the level of service our team is best known for.

Our Director of Rooms, Christian Potvin, would appreciate the opportunity to regain your loyalty and requests that you contact him, at your convenience, at christian.potvin@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon.

Toronto, ON

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Thank you to Yasir, Latoya and all the other great front desk staff at the Intercontinental Toronto Centre. When our room had a leaky wall (thanks to the ice storm) we were promptly relocated. Staff checked in with us several times to ensure everything was fine in our new room and after returning from church Christmas Eve we were greeted with cookies and milk in our room. When staff learned we were bringing our mother over for Christmas breakfast an extra voucher was provided. The hotel was unusually busy because of Torontonians seeking heat and power, but the staff were still pleasant and efficient. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Rooms near elevators have some mechanical noise. Suites provide a little more room and allow for en...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear KarenandRobert1,

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. It is always our goal to ensure our guests needs are met and we are pleased to hear that our team went above and beyond to ensure your expectations were exceeded. We will most definitely share your kind comments with Yasir, Latoya and rest of our front desk team and ensure they are recognized internally for providing you with a memorable experience.

Should you ever require any assistance when planning your future visits, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to hosting you again.

Toronto
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Our second stay for Christmas Eve and a great way of getting away from cooking and cleaning on Christmas eve.

Others have complained about room service prices but they are on par as other hotels. The difference is the intercontinental's food (imho) is very good and worth it. Had great steak for dinner as well as chicken..and great breakfast on Christmas day.

Service was excellent and remember to bring swim suit. ...I always forget and they have gorgeous pool.

My only concern was our two level suite, while large and comfortable, was a bit worn.... and needed a little tlc. Several bad scratches were obvious, but I know some guests are hard on things. I was taken aback when they asked about a gouge (previously there) but they did not press the issue.

Overall wonderful stay and room dining to die for. Nothing like a table of food someone else makes (and takes away) on Christmas morning!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gunnerpup,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear that your enjoyed your holiday visit with us. It was also great to read about how much you enjoyed our food & beverage offerings both in Azure and from in-room dining. We will be sure to share your kind comments with our culinary team as I know they will truly appreciate your recognition.

Please let me know when you are planning your next stay, as I would love to have the opportunity to optimize your reservation and ensure your next visit is flawless.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Interior Decor: Intercontinental standard style: calm, elegant and luxurious. Makes me feel rich and in control. Very stylish lobby with arts and good lightings.
Exterior appearance: One of the modern buildings. Located very close to CN Tower, train station and Rogers Centre baseball stadium. 25 floors.
Outside view: Very good. Downtown Toronto. View of CN Tower, train station and shores of Lake Ontario.
Noise insulation: Despite located next to train station, noise insulation was surprisingly good.
Room size: Approximately 32 square metres. Adequate. Relatively small size bathroom.
Price value: 40000 points deduction being IHG Rewards member. Reasonable for the upgraded room.
Service: Professionally trained staffs for luggage assistance.
Restaurant: Cool atmosphere in blue. Well polished food selection with very good sauce and ingredients. A bit expensive, but the service was first class.
Parking garage: Access to the lobby was good. A bit inflated price at $27 per night.
Room number: 1000 - King Deluxe corner room.
Bed: Soft, King - comfortable

Overall, the strengths of services, general clean appearance wth stylish interior decor designs pleased me.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the last two digits "00" for corner, with views of CN Tower and Roger...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank setotravel
Dear setotravel,

Thank you for reviewing us. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to exceed our guests expectations and it is great to hear that we were successful in doing this for you.

When planning your next visit, please feel free to contact me personally. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your reservation and ensure your next stay is just as excellent.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for years but have always saved a few bucks and stayed at other locations. As a Christmas treat I finally splurged and think I will only ever be able to stay here now in Toronto. I was allowed to check in at 11:30 on a Friday before Christmas and got upgraded. The room had a dreamy view of the CN Tower complete with a chaise lounge where I frequently sat with tea and just gazed out the window. The room decor is so relaxing and comfortably a break from the busy over stimulating city. Its the perfect break. Staff are great too. Really care .. they say thank you and mean it, ask where you are going or what you are doing and then finish a conversation saying enjoy your theater show or walk to see Christmas lights. I could rave and rave but to be honest I already showed my loyalty by booking another stay within the next 30 days at this property and I only live an hour from the city .. sometimes you just need to be treated well and here you will be

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank disneykristen
Dear disneykristen,

Thank you for your kind remarks and new found loyalty. We are overjoyed that our team won you over during your stay and we look forward to providing you with more memorable experiences in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should there be anything I can do to ensure your upcoming stay is a comfortable one.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Although I was there only one night and in the midst of a storm I enjoyed staying at this hotel because of the fascinating room I had (got a free upgrade as an IHG gold member) and the well designed lobby. I didn't have a chance to get to know the area but the Subway is very close so getting around is not a problem in this area.
Price was reasonable (200$CAD) per night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Elid01,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is wonderful to hear that we had the opportunity to do this for you. Hopefully next time you are with us you will have the chance to explore the nearby sites as well.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

As you would expect from Intercontinental, excellent and friendly service. The hotel is in a convenient location near to the CN Tower with comfortable and spacious rooms. However, I would double check that any tours booked through the hotel are in fact booked as required. We booked a trip to Niagara Falls only to wait for a coach that did not turn up. The hotel did offer compensation and booked the tour for the next day. However, I think it would be worthwhile waiting while your booking is phoned through.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 848Happilyretired848,

Thank you for reviewing us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as the service our team provided during your recent visit to Toronto. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused regarding your day trip to Niagara Falls. We will be sure to follow up with our Concierge team to ensure issues such as these do not reoccur in the future.

Should you wish to discuss your experience in further details or if you require any assistance when planning your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return.