“Caribana Weekend 2013”

Ranked #23 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Dallas, Texas
“Caribana Weekend 2013”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I would highly recommend staying at the InterContinental Toronto. During our stay this pass weekend the hotel went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. Besides from being a very nice hotel with wonderful accommodations, the Chef Concierge (Sherine) went above and beyond to assist us with an important FedEx package that got stuck at customs. Thank you very much Sherine!!! Also, during our stay the hotel was doing some renovation which resulted in some minor noise. She was more than happy to comp us with breakfast for the minor inconvenience. Last but not less, I would recommend the spa. The massage therapist (Valerie) who performed my treatment was excellent. Her hands will relax you like no other. Also, the spa receptionist (Claudia) was very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear D_in_Dallas2013,

It is such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your experience at the InterContinental Toronto Centre. Our entire team aims to deliver outstanding service so they will be delighted to hear your comments. Thank you for recognizing Sherine for the “at your side” service she provided you with, as well as for acknowledging Valerie and Claudia for delivering a relaxing experience at our spa. I know they will all be excited to hear your kind comments.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Toronto.

M5V 2X3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
edmonton, alberta
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had a great stay at the InterContinental Toronto Centre. Overall, service was adequate and friendly. Check in was straight forward but not overly friendly; they must have had a busy day because I overheard another Front Desk person mention that they were fully booked that day. They were however able to honor my request to change my room from two queens to a king size. Upon entering my room, everything was clean and tidy as expected but maybe the view wasn’t the best – overlooking the intersection of Lower Simcoe and Front. Room amenities were great with a great bed and super soft bed linens, great smelling toiletries, and Keurig coffee maker with coffee and tea K-cups provided. I didn’t get a chance to use the pool or fitness centre but I did stop by to check it out and the pool looked very inviting and the fitness centre adequately equipped. On the third day of my stay, there were some issues with my door lock – I wasn’t able to get in by swiping my key card but security was able to. Although this was an inconvenience, it wasn’t that big of a deal to me. Security along with a maintenance guy came in the afternoon to reset the lock and my key card worked fine afterward. Because of this inconvenience, the hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating and definitely apologetic for the inconvenience. Even though it wasn’t a big deal to me, hotel staff made me feel that I was a big deal to them – this is amazing service!

A couple things stood out for me at the InterContinental. One of them was the staff at the Concierge desk. They were all great, especially the taller gentleman with the dark hair. He seemed to always be manning the desk when I stopped by, and he was very helpful in suggesting a great Italian restaurant in the neighborhood, in looking into getting some tickets for the Beyonce concert and in answering my questions regarding the TTC. (Thank you very much, sir – sorry, I have forgotten your name.)

The other thing that stood out for me was the restaurant, Azure. I partook of the prix fixe menu for lunch and it was also amazing! I had the tuna appetizer, scallop entrée and sorbet for dessert. All courses were really, really good but the scallops blew me away. They were perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned – it was definitely the best scallops I’ve ever had in my life.

All in all, I had a really comfortable and pleasant stay and would definitely stay there again. I recommend everybody splurge a little and stay at the InterContinental – you’ll thank yourself for it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ryan411
Dear ryan411,

We’re so glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Ensuring our guests have exceptional experiences is always our goal and we’re thankful to read about the personalized and professional service you received from our team. I will pass your comments along to our concierge team including Callum, as well as to our culinary team in Azure. I know they will be thrilled that they exceeded your expectations and played a part in making your visit memorable.
We greatly appreciate your comments and are excited to hear that you will be returning in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when planning your next trip to Toronto so we may ensure your next stay is just as flawless.

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and very nice hotel. Stayed there for my birthday night and went to the spa. The spa was alright/ services recieved were alright but the hot tub was out of order in the pool area. We purchased the romance package that came with dinner. The dinner was good but limited choice, breakfast was excellent from the buffet. It was very close to the Rogers centre and other attractions as well. Parking was overly expensive and the cost for the room was a bit much for what you recieved. Otherwise, we would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mason022,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet as part of our romance package. We will certainly share you insight in regards to the selection on the dinner menu with our culinary team to review how we can improve for our future guests. The entire team greatly appreciates the comments you shared as we are always looking for ways to improve the services we provide. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your experience in further detail.

On behalf of the entire ream we would like to wish you happy birthday again and we look forward to your next visit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Bed was Great. The room was updated. Not much of a view, but weren't staying in the room other than sleep.
When checking in, we were asking about local restaurants. The man at front desk made a few suggestions. We took them and WOW!! He suggested eating at Lee Garden in ChinaTown. The BEST Chinese food I've ever had. Then he suggested the Sultan's Tent. It was Morrocan food that had the BellyDancer and Everything. Great Experiences in themselves. Everyone there was Beyond friendly. Great Location. Would Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Greg N,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to Toronto. We are happy that you enjoyed our accommodations while you were with us. Our team prides itself on exceeding our guests expectations and we loved the story you shared regarding the dining suggestions made by our team. It is wonderful to know that his suggestions helped to make you experience that much more memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back and should you require any assistance with your future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental 7/27-7/30/2013. I was there for a conference that was located in the Metro Toronto Convention Center. The location of the hotel was excellent for the conference. I was impressed with the hotel staff, especially David who was nighttime front desk person. I was also impressed with the lobby and the room itself was spacious, modern and nice on first inspection. However, the room was not the cleanest room. The carpet was dark so one would not know that there was debris until you step on something sharp. I excused this the first time, but after several times stepping on various small particles, I was kind of irritated that i needed to wear shoes even in the hotel room. In the bathroom, there was hair (not my own) in the sink and in the tub that was kind of gross. I should have been more vocal about my cleanliness concerns but I was fairly busy with the conference and I really didn't have time to call about every picky little thing that I encountered. Otherwise, good hotel, good location, with aforementioned caveats. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear deidrehilliard,

On behalf of the entire team at the InterContinental Toronto Centre, we thank you for sharing the details of your recent visit on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to read that David provided you with the exceptional “at your side” service we are best known for. We know he will be happy that you recognized him and we will be sure to do the same internally.

We apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experience you had in your guest room and can assure you that this is not the standard our team prides themselves on. We will be reviewing your concerns with our housekeeping team to ensure such situations do not reoccur in the future. Should you wish to discuss you experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a conference in May. The location is ideal. Restaurants just steps away. CN tower and the new aquarium also at its doorstep.
The only drawback is that the rooms are bland. For a cosmopolitan location I expected in to have a wow factor to the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Molly1215,

Thanks for sharing you experience and insight with our future guests on TripAdvisor! It is great to read that you enjoyed the convenience of our location during you stay with us this past May. We truly are just a stones throw away from all the great sites Toronto has to offer.

We appreciate the feedback you shared in regards to our guestrooms and we are excited to let you know that we are currently refreshing our older rooms to ensure we are offering luxury accommodations to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked a double beds room in this InterContinental Toronto Centre Hotel and paid the full bill via TripAdvisor 20+ days earlier before I went to Toronto for vacation with my parent. However for some reason my reservation on the hotel website showed my booking was a One King bed room. I found out this mistake 20 days before I went. So I immediately contacted the hotel concierge department, and one staff responded to my request nicely for correctng my reservation. She put a note on my reservation as a special request for a double beds room. I thought I would be guaranteed to have a double beds room. Unfortunately, I overestimated InterContinental's sincerity for resolving customer's request. When I checked in, the front desk told me they had sold out all the double beds room, and she didn't see any note on my request! Can you believe that just happened?! I had no choice but accepted her only offer - to add a wheel bed into the single bed room. The additional bed was so small that I had to lie huddled up in bed for 4 nights! My back hurts so much after the forth night.

In additional, their WiFi coverage in the guest room was very poor, my Macbook and iPhone could hardly received the signal unless I sat at the bathroom door.

The room that assigned to me was at the 11th floor next to the Front street, so I was "enjoying" the noise from the street all the time as my additional bed had to be placed by the window due to there was enough space for the bed at that location. BUT, that's not the worst scenario. Starting from the second day of my staying, I was waken up by the drilling tool noise from the upper floor every morning, ON TIME!

Fortunately Toronto is an amazing city to visit, I had a wonderful time spending my vacation in there. The location of the hotel enabled us to go to every place we wanted to go easily. So I tried to go back to the hotel as late as possible. That's the only thing I can compliment about the hotel. But there are tons of hotel sitting in this area, you could have a better choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the CN Tower side have a better view of the lake. But please think twice do you really have...