“Decent business hotel with a great location but some issues”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
British Columbia, Canada
“Decent business hotel with a great location but some issues”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was my first stay at the Intercontinental Toronto Centre. The service at check-in (including the door man) was great. I wasn't offered an upgrade (even for $) but didn't mind. The hotel lobby looks great - very open and modern. The restaurant at the hotel seems upscale, although I didn't end up going because I waited for a couple of minutes to be seated and then left when no one assisted. There are a lot of other restaurants close by.

My room was decent - pretty much what you would expect for a business hotel. The room was clean but getting a bit dated. I did have some issues with the blinds (which resulted in a late night visit from hotel staff), the weight scale (which didn't work - I only wanted to try it out of interest), and the cleaning staff who knocked and then just walked in without waiting for me to reply.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. Right in downtown and close to the business district. It is easy to take a taxi anywhere.

The spa at the hotel was small but the service was great. Its not cheap but that is to be expected. I had to check out early and had a late flight but the hotel didn't have a spare room that I could use to freshen up. Instead, they gave me access to the spa which wasn't as convenient as a room but served its purpose.

I would consider staying at this hotel again but would probably try the Westin or someplace else first.

1 Thank ToucanSm
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear travellerR2007,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are so pleased to hear that you received the quality service we are known for from the moment you arrived at our hotel. However, I would like to apologize for falling short of your expectations in other areas.

I have passed on your comments to the appropriate departments, in order to ensure that we improve in the areas you mentioned.

Should you wish to discuss your experience further please contact our Director of Rooms, Christian Potvin, at 416-597-8190 or via e-mail at christian.potvin@ihg.com.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

E-mail: Jessica.Webb@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with the whole of my stay at the hotel
I can not understand how this hotel is considered a luxury hotel. The room is relatively normal as were the staff and the food, which is very expensive, is tasteless, inventiveness and low abundance In addition, the rooms are so poorly insulated that hear someone walked in the corridor to the other end of the floor when we are in our room. Avoid the continental breakfast (which is bad) and room service. Before playing a luxury hotel, start by offering quality.

1 Thank Jeremy X
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Jeremy X,

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the less than satisfactory experience you had during your recent stay with us.

I can assure you that this is not the level of service we are known to provide, as we are always striving to ensure our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. I have shared your comments with both our Director of Food and Beverage, Mateus De Campos, as well as our Director of Rooms, Christian Potvin. I have provide their contact information below, as they are both very interested in speaking with you further about your experience.

Mateus De Campos
Director of Food & Beverag
Tel: 416-597-8120
E-mail: mateus.decampos@ihg.com

Christian Potvin
Director of Rooms
Tel: 416-597-8190
E-mail: christian.potvin@ihg.com

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for many times over the past 10 years and have always found the rooms clean and well maintained. The service at the front desk is always excellent and the amenities are very good (the hotel has a great gym). The hotel is attached to the Toronto Convention Centre, so if you are attending a convention this is the best place to stay. Many of the floors and rooms have been recently renovated and are very nice. I would recommend this place to the business traveller or anyone visiting downtown Toronto.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room on an upper floor. Great views.
Dear Dan S,

We are so pleased to hear that we have continued to meet and exceed your expectations over the past 10 years. Are goal is always to ensure our guests needs are met and we are happy that we have continued to do this for you on every occasion.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently for an event at the Air Canada Centre and we were not disappointed. This was my third time staying at this hotel. It is close to everything, staff are extremely helpful. The rooms are clean and beautiful and the windows have great views of the city. No complaints at all!

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view, facing the CN tower is great at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear soccermom154995,

Thank you for your comments.

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We are always striving to provide the best of service to all of our guests and we are so pleased to hear that you have continued to receive this.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Köln
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in the Intercontinental for a week. Being ambassador members, we were upgraded to a club level room. Club lounge was spacious, great view of the cn tower, good variety of snacks in the afternoon. The breakfast selection however was pretty limited, I would call it continental plus. The room itself was quite nice, a corner room with a huge tv and a great lake/cn tower view. The bathroom could need some renovation, it was pretty old school. The staff in the lounge was overall okay, ranging from really nice (a young german lady) to quite grumpy and desinterested. I did not complain since we were in the lounge on an upgrade, but if I had been a full fare club level guest, I would have specifically said something to of those rather grumpy and unhelpfull ladies. We woud come back, although the decision to come back would be easier if the hotel undergoes some renovation in the meantime.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sano1980,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations on our Club InterContinental Level as well as the afternoon canapés. While I am glad to hear that you received superior service from most of our employees, I would like to apologize for your experience with those employees who did not provide you with the exceptional service our hotel is known for.

Should you wish to discuss your experience further, please contact Christian Potvin, our Director of Rooms at 416-597-8190 or via e-mail at christian.potvin@ihg.com.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Regards,

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Only a one night stay but the experience was great. Great room and excellent service with a smile. Being connected to the Metro Convention center is also a plus. Lots if restaurants and store nearby. I would return without a doubt. Congratulations to the staff.

• Stayed September 2012
Jessica W, Manager at InterContinental Toronto Centre, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear etaillefer,

We are happy to hear that our team was able to win you over in just one night. We are always striving to ensure that all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased that our team was able to exceed your expectations.

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at the Intercontinental Toronto Centre and I highly recommend to come here when visiting the city.

+ Location: Toronto’s city center is quite small and all major sights are in walking distance from the hotel. E.g. the CN Tower and Rogers Centre are just next door, the fully developed lakeshore with restaurants, shops and the ferry terminal to the Toronto Island’s just two blocks away. Hip neighborhoods like Queen Street West, Dundas West and Distillery District, are close-by and accessible by train, bike or a longer walk.

+ /-Amenities:
+ Rooms: The rooms are spacious, come with a good-sized bathroom and closet, coffee maker and fridge. What I really appreciated were the extra wine glasses they offer, which is most times missing in other hotels. There is only one thing I would add: a second caffeinated capsule of coffee.
BTW – the view from the higher floors is just beautiful, in particular towards the lake s.

+/- Gym/Pool: The gym has a good size and offers enough equipment several hotel guests can work out at the same time. When it comes to the pool it is getting more difficult since they only have four loungers and two tables with chairs were you can leave your stuff to swim or sit down to relax from sightseeing or working. Some more furniture or benches would be helpful if more than 10 people should enjoy the large pool area at a time.

+ Service: From check-in to check-out and in between the front desk staff was incredibly friendly and attentive and made us feel comfortable and welcome. Moreover housekeeping did a great job. Our room was super clean and well equipped with bath amenities etc.

CONCLUSION
The Intercontinental Toronto Centre is a perfect choice for a stay in Toronto since the downtown area is just around the corner and all other areas easy reachable by train, bike or a longer walk. The staff is very attentive and obliging and makes you feel at home. When working in the city you can be sure you have the needed quietness and support to do business.

+ great location, everything in walking distance
+ spacious super clean rooms,
+ attentive staff

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple