“Nice hotel rooms, OK staff”

InterContinental Toronto Centre
Ranked #23 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Boston area, MA
“Nice hotel rooms, OK staff”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed for one night at this hotel. The room was really nice. The bed was great as was the shower. High speed internet worked well. (For me, these are the holy trinity of hotel features). The gym and location come next but I didn't use the gym so can't comment on it. The location was a little out of the way.

I arrived in the mid-afternoon and had not had lunch. I went to the lobby restaurant/bar and asked if they had anything on the menu that didn't have bread or flour. The hostess kind of flippantly told me, I'm sure there are lots of things on the menu. No effort to help. I sat down, read the menu, and there was precious little with protein that didn't have bread/flour (sandwiches, burgers, a pasta dish) and nothing on there I actually wanted to eat. I got up and gave her the menu back and told her that I couldn't find anything on the menu that worked. Rather than say, let me take a look and see if I can find some option, or even better, let me go back and talk to the chef, she just looked a little miffed. I went across the street and had some sushi. So, no big deal, and she wasn't rude or difficult, just not helpful or proactive.

One other comment that probably is general rather than specific to this hotel. I'm a Platinum on Priority Club but don't tend to stay in too many Intercontinentals. This hotel (and maybe all ICs) don't provide any special amenities, AFAIK, to Platinums. You need to purchase an $200 Ambassador package, which I haven't done -- I did it one year but didn't get the amenities that would have made it worthwhile so dropped it. My status on the website says Platinum Ambassador, but as far as I can tell that is of no value.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed over Easter weekend and was travelling with my husband, a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We booked because the Intercontinental had a fantastic Easter package and a ton to do for people with children. The check in was quick and efficient, the kids had their own check in area and received a great bag with a coloring book, crayons and toys.. that kept them entertained for a while:)
The rooms are beautiful, bright, the club lounge a great place to relax and enjoy breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks.
A kids room available with WII, tv's, slides, bowling, golf etc. The kids loved this room. The best part was that the kids were able to spend some time in the Pastry kitchen of the hotel to decorate cookies, they received chef's hats and a certificate. I must say I was very impressed with the hotel and without a doubt would go back in a heart beat. Oh and if you have time check out the pool and SPA - I had the most amazing 1 hour massage ever.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We just spent 2 nights at this hotel over the Easter Weekend taking advantage of the special which included room/valet parking/breakfast. Service was attentive and friendly from the time we got out the car on arrival to our departure. Our room was immaculate and well appointed. The buffet breakfast was excellent. Looking forward to our next visit to Toronto and a return visit to the IC Toronto Centre.

United States
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Rooms are barely upgraded Motel 6 quality. Big convention hotel (the crowd shows it). Checked in late one night- claimed to have only smoking rooms left (smoking rooms still exist in the first world in 2011 ??)- after i showed my itinerary confirming a non-smoking room (with some firmness on my part), a smoking room mysteriously became available. But only with two double beds (what business traveler wants two double beds?). Definitely would not stay here again if I can avoid it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Globetrekker63
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and found the hotel to be adequate....not outstanding or 5 star ... but fine nonetheless. The location is ideal for first time visitors - very close to everything you need to see and do in Toronto. The concierge was helpful and the in-house restaurant fine for a few drinks. We didn't eat there because there are so many fabulous restaurants just a few blocks away.

The spa is good -- as are the therapists -- but the lady who ran the reception desk at the spa did not maintain the high standard, her absence of customer service was noted. Luckily the the actual therapist was great ...
Disappointing that we had to pay for internet access in room ...really strange (and annoying) that hotels such as the Intercontinental still charge for this .... leaves a bad impression -- A quick and cheap thing to fix if they wanted to !!

We'd stay again if we were in Toronto - its good for a standard hotel experience.. just nothing special.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We took a 24-hour getaway to this hotel even though we just live in Mississauga. We took advantage of the Easter package which included the room, breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids, valet parking, and some other stuff for kids we didn't take advantage of since it was just the two of us. It was $199 + tax - which considering valet would have been $40 and the breakfast buffet is $26/person is pretty great.

We enjoyed the pool all afternoon and even ordered lunch while sitting in our lounge chairs. The environment is very spa-like, so even though we were just hanging out, with the waterfall and the spa music, it was very relaxing! Plus the staff were very helpful.

Our Jr. 1-bedroom suite was well, sweet! King bed was super-comfy, and the 2 TVs were amazing HD quality. Bathroom was traditional marble, but had great toiletries, and quality hairdryer, and a great little Keurig coffee maker. Not to mention how nice it is to have a bathrobe provided!

We were on the 13th floor (#1337) and the view of the CN Tower, Rogers Centre and over towards the Island airport was great. Gorgeous big windows and the curtains on tracks behind the crown mouldings were gorgeous.

Buffet breakfast was amazing, lots of different choices, and incredible service. A lovely spot to relax, read the paper and just enjoy.

All in all, a great getaway for hubby and I, and we'll definitely look for deals there again if we're wanting to do the same thing.

2 Thank meghanleen1981
straight08
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My son was on spring break from college and we decided to take him Toronto. We picked this hotel because of reviews and the closeness to everything in City Centre. We arrived at the hotel around 7:30 Pm. Right around 11:00 Pm the Fire alarn went off, with an anouncement that they were investigating it, this went on for 10 to 15 minutes. My husband and I were on the 7th floor and my son was on the 20th there is 25 floors.Then the anouncement was( it is on your floor please exit building). I exited in my pajamas and my husband was dressed. Once we got out to the street there were many people dressed for bedtime. The firemen were there and after about 15 minutes we were able to go back in. The firemen said it was a false alarm. During our stay of 4 days a few employees said that that happens occasionaly so be prepared for that experience. The room was clean and nice. All of the staff we enteracted with were friendly. We did not eat at the restuarant. There are so many places to choose from to eat in the city that are walking distance.We did drink at the bar. The bar has 2 TVs and a friendly staff. The drinks are comparable in price to any hotel bar. The maid staff did not always replenish the coffee I took a drink out of mini bar and it was not replaced either. The pool was nice it is a saline pool, the steam room are male or female. I did not get to use the steam room with my husband. They have a spa I got my nails done I was pleased. their exercise room is open 24 hours. You can walk almost all the way to CN tower indoors. Our experience at The Intercontental Hotel City Centre was good. If you plan to fly there and you have three or more people get a taxi the taxi cost 55.00 and the airport shuttle is 19.95 per person . We had a great time in Toronto and would love to go there again. The weather was cold and it rained alot but we were busy the whole time there so many things to see and do there.

• Stayed April 2011