Hyatt Regency Toronto
$320
$310
Travelocity
2,774 results
All reviewscn towerentertainment districtgreat locationking streetrooftop poolsecond cityrogers centrewithin walking distancefront desk staffblue jaysunderground parkingking bedcoffee makerair canada centreunion stationlobbydowntown
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I am a Hyatt Platinum member and have stayed here over 15 nights year to date for two extended business and both stays have been consistent. Firstly, I am not entirely sure what this "Regency" brand is trying to project to its customers. Is it a mid range hotel? Are they trying to be just a step down from the Park Hyatt's? To me it seems like an equivalent to a newer Holiday Inn or Hilton Garden Inn. There definitely seems to be a disconnect from planned to actual (on the value proposition). First the good: the location is excellent. King Street West is full of great places to eat, shop and for me close to work. You also have a pharmacy just across the street which is convenient. The fitness centre is well equipped and the roof top area is nice offering an amazing view of the area. There are lots of lounge chairs to relax in. Also a nice place to go for a swim. The beds were very comfortable, and the flatscreen TV was new and probably the largest I have seen in a hotel room! The staff are for the most part friendly and service oriented.
Now the areas for improvement. This is my biggest issue with this hotel: during both my stays which were weeks apart, 2 of the 4 elevators were not working. This often created a long wait in the morning and was very annoying. When the elevator did arrive you are packed in there with too many other guests. Not ideal for anyone claustrophobic!
While the room looked somewhat renovated the cheap furniture does not appear new. The white leather club chair was so soiled you would not want to sit in it! Note to the designer, gray, black or brown chairs are better for commercial applications. The bathroom vanity is very small and the vessel type sink is not at all practical. The red lacquer look gives the room an eighties feel. I did not find the bathroom clean at all. Where the wall meets the bottom of the bathtub there was a lot of grime and hair built up which is not up to a 4 star hotel cleanliness standard. The ceiling has a few spots of what looked like water damage that needed repair. The food and beverage is extremely overpriced. $14 for a glass of mediocre Italian red wine at the bar is pushing it!
Some mornings I was awoken to construction above me and the sound of a hammer and drill. I think 7 am is much too early for this type of annoyance.There were noticeable staffing issues including 10 people queuing to check in to one frazzled agent who was also dealing the best he could to phone lines ringing. I did not like having to buy an Internet card for minutes in the business centre so passed on that added expense. Free internet is the norm at hotels and motels in Canada nowadays. This hotel is at best a 3.5 star. Recommendations to management: get your elevator maintenance repairs complete pronto, pay more attention to your cleanliness standards and offer free internet. I just returned from the Vancouver Hyatt Regency and feel that property is a much better property overall.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Hyatt_370_King_St, Manager at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

Dear Canuckontour,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We are happy to report that we are currently in the process of upgrading our elevators and expect to have the project completed by the end of October. Once again, we sincerely apologize for your last stay with us but hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Toronto. Should you wish to discuss your experience with us in more detail, please send an email to catarina.ferreira@hyatt.com.

Warmly,
Customer Service

Reviewed September 19, 2010

Let me preface this by saying I read Trip Advisor all the time but this stay made me sign-up.

I feel bad about writing this because our house keepers and the front desk agent, Sam are very nice, helpful and well meaning.

I stay in a Hyatt Regency 95% of the year, so I am pretty accustomed to the Hyatt properties in my travels but this is the first time I've experienced bed bugs and I find it gross and FREAKING ITCHY. I attending a wedding last night and spend most of it itching myself. ugh. annoying.

Upon reporting the bugs, the front desk Manager, Kristine was very professional and offered to run and get itch cream and even another room. I appreciate that and she was very well meaning but apparently according to Hyatt policy they have to send exterminators in first to do anything in terms of resolving customer satisfaction. (comp night, discount, etc.) but I guess the bottom line is, even if it was a free night stay, it doesn't change my memory of the stay, which is leading me to write this review.

Overall the hotel is meh, nothing special and upon doing some research I found that this property was actually a holiday inn or something budget before becoming a Hyatt, which leads me to my next point.

Of the Hyatt properties I've stayed at I would find this one on the bottom tier.

Hotel Vibe.
It's a party hotel, full of party patrons. I get it. I am in my 20s, I do that too. but they should at least make this hotel an Andaz property then and not try to hide that its something else. Lobby was full of the typical party DB types, dudes not wearing shirts, drunk party girls, etc. Maybe if I was in vegas or hollywood I won't care - but we were here for a wedding and I was taking care of my parents. They weren't too happy about it.

Facilities,
Nothing special, Gym is your typical Hyatt Stay Fit gym. Pool seems like it has a cool view and they have a sauna.
Parking is super expensive but that's typical of a downtown hotel. I wish they posted it... hate how those fees always seem to spring up on ya.

Room service is good. room service food is bad. I came in late on Thursday night and got a pretty cold sandwich with cold fries.
There is no regency club so they offer breakfast buffet. reminded me of Hampton in quality food. runny eggs, plain sausages.

Back to bed bugs.
So - the hotel management response has been on par so far. they've photographed my bug bites, offering to inspect the room, rand and consulted a pharisist to buy hydrocortizone and even offered to adjust the room. Again... all very well meaning and Kristene the front desk manager is doing a good job at trying to help resolve it... but still doesnt change the fact that I got all these bites.

I am just a very experienced Hyatt customer who is very disappointed on my stay. The staff and manager mean well... but the i am left with an Itchy feeling. Just feeling a gap on justice.

Hyatt's I'd recommend
Huntington Beach
San Francisco - Financial District
Andaz San Diego
Andaz Hollywood.

Hyatt's I'd not recommend.
Hyatt on King Toronto

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank smashadmns
Hyatt_370_King_St, Manager at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Dear smashadmns,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your last stay with us. Providing comfortable, clean and well-maintained accommodation, as well as outstanding customer service is absolutely critical for us.

As a policy, all reports of bed bug activity are treated with the utmost importance. We have contacted Orkin, our pest control provider, who after an inspection, informed us that there were no traces of bed bugs in the room you stayed in or any other infestation in our hotel.

We take all comments received very seriously, and review them with our staff to ensure that any issues are resolved. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please send an email to catarina.ferreira@hyatt.com.

Warmly,
Customer Service

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I was a little apprehensive after seeing the comments about the elevators and cleanliness of the rooms, but I've got to tell you...after staying there for 8 days, this place is highly recommended. If there were ever problems with the elevator speed, they must have resolved them. There are 8 of them, 4 which serve the lower 9 floors and 4 for the top 11 floors and they were fine.

This was our 25th anniversary and the room we stayed in was overlooking lake Ontario, the CN tower and downtown. Below us we could see a bevy of rooftop restaurants nearby and really get a feel for siteseeing down below. The bed was a dream with it's pillowtop mattress, the large lcd TV mounted in the wall was great and we even had our own private balcony that we could walk out on. They had champaign and a cheese & crackers tray waiting in our room when we arrived with a personalized 25th anniversary card (none of which I paid for). The bath towels were large enough to be beach towels. We ate at both restaurants and the food was excellent. They have Starbucks beside the lobby that we got coffee from and I spent some time there with their free internet access.

The only recommendations I would make to them to make it absolutely the best would be the make the internet access free. Many hotels include it in the rate, but many of the higher end hotels usually charge for it. The only other thing was that one day their was a labor strike and we had no maid service that day. Hotel management offered free breakfast that day with free hors d'oeuvres during a cocktail hour that evening, so it was a nice gesture. The bathroom wasn't the largest and it only had one sink, but overall, we really liked this hotel and would stay here again if we make it back to Toronto.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thutchens
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hyatt is a lovely hotel, however the room itself needs some help.

The good
The hotel is close to EVERYTHING. Great location and walking distance to anything and everything
The lobby is lovely
Starbucks is attached
reasonable rate
staff were friendly but not very welcoming overall
great roof top pool and fitness center

The bad
The room was cheaply put together (cheap furniture making it look great from a distance but not up close).
There were several in room issues:
bathroom door was VERY hard to open after closing it. If there was a little kid they would not have been able to open it!
side table next to bed was falling off the wall
cupboard door was coming off
there had obviously been a leak in the room and the ceiling paint was coming off
the white chair was COVERED in stains, and also had a rip on it
lightbulb over bed was out
a room with two double bed rooms only had two towels. I think they should put in 4 assuming the maximum occupancy

None of these things were a big deal, but could have been easily repaired if housekeeping had done their job and reported these things to maintenance to fix. Also, they should probably not have gone for white furnature that cant be cleaned.

The beds were comfortable though which was great! And most important! It was also quiet. I would recommend this hotel, if they step up their maintenance. Until then, There are many other GREAT hotels in Toronto at similar or lower rates that are maintained much better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2010

So during our first trip to Toronto for Caribana we decided to stay at the Hyatt. I had not experienced the Hyatt much, but thought it would be a nice change of pace. The photos didn't do the room justice. It was modern in black, red, white colors. The view from the hotel literally allowed you to see a great portion of the city. The rooftop pool was especially enjoyable. The breakfast we had at their restaurant was pricey and very average. Nothing special or unique for the price. But the location of the property was literally in walking distance of several clubs and also several local restaurants and the theater district area. Overall it was enjoyable. The concierge was helpful in helping us find the best way to get around.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends