“Hyatt Diamond Member Reports: Bed Bugs or something in the pullaway! Also, Its party hotel.”

Hyatt Regency Toronto
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Let me preface this by saying I read Trip Advisor all the time but this stay made me sign-up.

I feel bad about writing this because our house keepers and the front desk agent, Sam are very nice, helpful and well meaning.

I stay in a Hyatt Regency 95% of the year, so I am pretty accustomed to the Hyatt properties in my travels but this is the first time I've experienced bed bugs and I find it gross and FREAKING ITCHY. I attending a wedding last night and spend most of it itching myself. ugh. annoying.

Upon reporting the bugs, the front desk Manager, Kristine was very professional and offered to run and get itch cream and even another room. I appreciate that and she was very well meaning but apparently according to Hyatt policy they have to send exterminators in first to do anything in terms of resolving customer satisfaction. (comp night, discount, etc.) but I guess the bottom line is, even if it was a free night stay, it doesn't change my memory of the stay, which is leading me to write this review.

Overall the hotel is meh, nothing special and upon doing some research I found that this property was actually a holiday inn or something budget before becoming a Hyatt, which leads me to my next point.

Of the Hyatt properties I've stayed at I would find this one on the bottom tier.

Hotel Vibe.
It's a party hotel, full of party patrons. I get it. I am in my 20s, I do that too. but they should at least make this hotel an Andaz property then and not try to hide that its something else. Lobby was full of the typical party DB types, dudes not wearing shirts, drunk party girls, etc. Maybe if I was in vegas or hollywood I won't care - but we were here for a wedding and I was taking care of my parents. They weren't too happy about it.

Facilities,
Nothing special, Gym is your typical Hyatt Stay Fit gym. Pool seems like it has a cool view and they have a sauna.
Parking is super expensive but that's typical of a downtown hotel. I wish they posted it... hate how those fees always seem to spring up on ya.

Room service is good. room service food is bad. I came in late on Thursday night and got a pretty cold sandwich with cold fries.
There is no regency club so they offer breakfast buffet. reminded me of Hampton in quality food. runny eggs, plain sausages.

Back to bed bugs.
So - the hotel management response has been on par so far. they've photographed my bug bites, offering to inspect the room, rand and consulted a pharisist to buy hydrocortizone and even offered to adjust the room. Again... all very well meaning and Kristene the front desk manager is doing a good job at trying to help resolve it... but still doesnt change the fact that I got all these bites.

I am just a very experienced Hyatt customer who is very disappointed on my stay. The staff and manager mean well... but the i am left with an Itchy feeling. Just feeling a gap on justice.

Hyatt's I'd recommend
Huntington Beach
San Francisco - Financial District
Andaz San Diego
Andaz Hollywood.

Hyatt's I'd not recommend.
Hyatt on King Toronto

• Stayed: September 2010
3  Thank smashadmns
Hyatt_370_King_St, Manager at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Dear smashadmns,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your last stay with us. Providing comfortable, clean and well-maintained accommodation, as well as outstanding customer service is absolutely critical for us.

As a policy, all reports of bed bug activity are treated with the utmost importance. We have contacted Orkin, our pest control provider, who after an inspection, informed us that there were no traces of bed bugs in the room you stayed in or any other infestation in our hotel.

We take all comments received very seriously, and review them with our staff to ensure that any issues are resolved. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please send an email to catarina.ferreira@hyatt.com.

Warmly,
Customer Service

Write a ReviewReviews (2,581)

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I was a little apprehensive after seeing the comments about the elevators and cleanliness of the rooms, but I've got to tell you...after staying there for 8 days, this place is highly recommended. If there were ever problems with the elevator speed, they must have resolved them. There are 8 of them, 4 which serve the lower 9 floors and 4 for the top 11 floors and they were fine.

This was our 25th anniversary and the room we stayed in was overlooking lake Ontario, the CN tower and downtown. Below us we could see a bevy of rooftop restaurants nearby and really get a feel for siteseeing down below. The bed was a dream with it's pillowtop mattress, the large lcd TV mounted in the wall was great and we even had our own private balcony that we could walk out on. They had champaign and a cheese & crackers tray waiting in our room when we arrived with a personalized 25th anniversary card (none of which I paid for). The bath towels were large enough to be beach towels. We ate at both restaurants and the food was excellent. They have Starbucks beside the lobby that we got coffee from and I spent some time there with their free internet access.

The only recommendations I would make to them to make it absolutely the best would be the make the internet access free. Many hotels include it in the rate, but many of the higher end hotels usually charge for it. The only other thing was that one day their was a labor strike and we had no maid service that day. Hotel management offered free breakfast that day with free hors d'oeuvres during a cocktail hour that evening, so it was a nice gesture. The bathroom wasn't the largest and it only had one sink, but overall, we really liked this hotel and would stay here again if we make it back to Toronto.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thutchens
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hyatt is a lovely hotel, however the room itself needs some help.

The good
The hotel is close to EVERYTHING. Great location and walking distance to anything and everything
The lobby is lovely
Starbucks is attached
reasonable rate
staff were friendly but not very welcoming overall
great roof top pool and fitness center

The bad
The room was cheaply put together (cheap furniture making it look great from a distance but not up close).
There were several in room issues:
bathroom door was VERY hard to open after closing it. If there was a little kid they would not have been able to open it!
side table next to bed was falling off the wall
cupboard door was coming off
there had obviously been a leak in the room and the ceiling paint was coming off
the white chair was COVERED in stains, and also had a rip on it
lightbulb over bed was out
a room with two double bed rooms only had two towels. I think they should put in 4 assuming the maximum occupancy

None of these things were a big deal, but could have been easily repaired if housekeeping had done their job and reported these things to maintenance to fix. Also, they should probably not have gone for white furnature that cant be cleaned.

The beds were comfortable though which was great! And most important! It was also quiet. I would recommend this hotel, if they step up their maintenance. Until then, There are many other GREAT hotels in Toronto at similar or lower rates that are maintained much better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2010

So during our first trip to Toronto for Caribana we decided to stay at the Hyatt. I had not experienced the Hyatt much, but thought it would be a nice change of pace. The photos didn't do the room justice. It was modern in black, red, white colors. The view from the hotel literally allowed you to see a great portion of the city. The rooftop pool was especially enjoyable. The breakfast we had at their restaurant was pricey and very average. Nothing special or unique for the price. But the location of the property was literally in walking distance of several clubs and also several local restaurants and the theater district area. Overall it was enjoyable. The concierge was helpful in helping us find the best way to get around.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Our room was very pretty and clean. The decor was very modern and the bathroom was gorgeous with lots of marble. Huge flat screen television as well. Our room was at one end of the ninth floor so we didn't have a lot of people walking by - we only heard the next door neighbors enter and leave. We received the extra pillows we requested, unfortunately the bed wasn't very comfortable. Could be because we have a nice soft pillow top at home (hotels can't please every type of body).

The staff was nice but the lobby is a little loud for check-in. It gets busy and there are people lined up to check in, so it's difficult to hear the check-in desk worker when they're asking you questions or telling you about your room.

My only big complaint about the HRT is the elevators. They have four but one was out of commission. One evening we came back after dinner and the remaining three lifts were all acting hinkey. One refused to leave the ground floor and the other two were stopping at every floor on the way up and the way down. We waited about 15 minutes to get to our room on the 9th floor. If it had been higher up it would have been a lot longer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeekInTheD
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here last month for a 3 night stay with my family (kids are 8 and 11). The location was great. It was a quick walk to all the major sites. The other plus was that you could buy the doubledecker tour bus tickets from the concierge and he arranged our pick up at the hotel. There is a Starbucks in the lobby for a quick coffee and breakfast in the mornings.

The pleasant surprise we had was the outdoor pool on the 17th floor. After 2 days of non-stop running around, we were so happy to come back to the hotel on our last afternoon and go to the pool. We were planning to only stay an hour or so, but wound up staying for hours. The lounge chairs were so comfortable. Even though there were quite a few families at the pool, there is a 2 level outdoor deck, so there was plenty of comfortable seating. The pool isn't deep, but it was just fine to cool off and pass some time. On the weekends they have drink service.

The only downside was the size of the rooms. It's like being in a New York City hotel room. There isn't much room to walk around. The bathroom was very small with virtually no counterspace. In the bedroom, there were 3 tiny draws in which you could dump some socks and underwear, and the closet had about 4 hangers in it. For a family of four, it was tough living out of our suitcase for 3 days.

The staff was very nice. Parking is expensive ($25 a night), but attached to the hotel. You can park in a few spaces right outside the lobby for check-in, and then move your car to the garage. It was convenient.

I would recommend the hotel for its location. Just be prepared that it's a typical city hotel with small rooms if you have a family. I got the room cheaper on Priceline, so all in all, we were happy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed for a few days for a conference trip in Toronto. Fantastic hotel, great staff and amazing location. Right on King St where all the restaurants and cafes are, and only a two block walk to the convention centre, I can't fault this venue.

Highly recommended.