“3 Star Hotel”

Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“3 Star Hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for a midnight movie showing (TDKR @ Scotiabank Theatre). I booked a room via Priceline and ended up with Hyatt Regency. The stay was for one night on July 23,2012.

While the location is really great, we're not that pleasant on our stay.

I read a lot of reviews saying that the CN Tower or city view is awesome. Upon check-in, I asked the the FO staff (Jose) if it's possible to be located on higher floor. He said there'd be a $30 charge. So we got room 1906 and wow! What a waste of money. Sure it's just one floor below the top floor but there's no view of CN Tower or a nice city view. We don't feel like going back and asking for a different room so we just stayed there. A/C is pretty bad, we couldn't feel the breeze and were sweating under the cover. The temperature in the hallway is even better. We thought if we left and come back later after the movie, the room temperature will be better. Unfortunately, it's still the same. I called the housekeeping in the morning (she was really courteous and polite, btw). I was told that the A/C is central and if I'd like a maintenance person to be sent. I said not to worry about it.

I couldn't sleep and when I finally could, I woke up to a fire alarm around 11.30AM. It went on for maybe about 15-20minutes. My boyfriend was awaken too and he wanted to check out early but we thought the elevator was shut down because of the alarm.

Anyways, we checked out and my boyfriend shared how we felt about the view, the A/C and the alarm to Stephanie Sitt. We politely asked if it's possible to waive the $30 upgrade fee because it's not worth it at all. She said that CN Tower view is not guaranteed and the fire alarm just went off 5 minutes before we checked out which is totally false. In the end, she said she could take 50% off of the total bill. We really didn't try to make up stories to get our money back. If it's worth it, we'll gladly pay for it.

Other than that, lobby is really clean and modern. So is the room we stayed in.

We usually stayed a 3 star hotel near Eaton Center and we thought the service was better. We always get our preferred floor when possible and internet with no extra charge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nyugat
Hyatt_370_King_St, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Nyugat,

Thank you for taking time to write your concerns regarding your last stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto. We strive to ensure that all guests are pleased with their accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. We’re sorry to hear that the fire alarm went off during your stay as well. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly at catarina.ferreira@hyatt.com.

Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency for one night in July - No issues! Yes the bathroom vanity may be a tad small (as other have complained in previous reviews), but it is a very nice four star hotel. I self-parked my car on Peter Street beside the hotel, found the check-in to be very friendly and professional, and the room was trendy and very comfortable. Very close to the Rogers Centre for a Blue Jays game & lots of great restaurants in the entertainment district (check out John Street for bars just north of the hotel). Had a large group of guys from Michigan next to me partying before and after a Jays game - didn't hear anything once the door was closed. The room had an iPhone/iPod charging dock and lots of plugs for laptop connectivity. Nice large TV by hotel standards. The staff was friendly and the rooms are very clean... no issues on this stay. Would stay again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drummerhill
Dear drummerhill,

Thank you for selecting Hyatt Regency Toronto for your most recent trip to Toronto. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient downtown location and our clean and comfortable hotel rooms. We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Toronto for just one night in July 2012 in a two queen bed room. The room was on the 12th floor and was definitely too small to have 2 beds in it. When we had the luggage delivered, we could not walk by. The bathroom was tiny. The 42 inch plasma looked awkward on the wall of this tiny place. After a long, hot, sleepless, claustrophobic night with the A/C full blast making more noise than sense, we decided to move to another hotel in Toronto for the next 3 nights. We had our breakfast - which was just average. When we pacjed, got to the lobby, checked out and were waiting for our taxi, the fire alarm went off, elevators stopped and personnel started running around. A lady informed us that there was a fire on the 14th floor and the sprinklers went on. As we were leaving, we saw a tv car and two fire trucks arriving. I was imagining the poor guests stuck in elevators and the 14th floor wet from sprinklers. I later checked for news and saw on google several reports of the fire alarm in this hotel in the past, including some in the middle of the night. I guess the rooms, packed with electronics, tiny and cramped, spark electric fires or the hotel instalation is deffect. Anyway, it was not a pleasant experience for someone who likes quality and comfort.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ninakowalewska
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Ninakowalewska:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Toronto. We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience. Please accept our sincere apology for the stay not meeting your expectations. We would like the chance to welcome you back, and hope that you might try our larger Deluxe Suite room type, offering our guests more room than our traditional guest rooms.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to further discuss this.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Southern California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt Toronto in July. Having been a dedicated Hilton traveler, I was prepared to not like this hotel; but since this is where my collegues were staying, I stayed here as well.

As requested, I was on a high floor near the elevator. I thought I would hear alot of traffic from the elevator lobby and dread the elevator stopping at each floor on my treks - but I didn't. What I found was a beautifully decorated room with an awesome view.

The only thing that has kept me from giving this an excellent score is the size of the bathrooms. They are teeny tiny. There is virtually no counter space for toiletries. It's was fortunate that I was the only person in the room - any more than 1 person trying to use that space would be impossible.

The staff was great! Everyone I encountered was very helpful and polite. The location of the hotel is in the hub of everything - great restaurants, bars and close to the train.

In the end, staying in the same hotel with the rest of my collegues certainly made this business trip easier and more fun. I almost didn't miss earning my Hilton points... maybe I'm not a Hilton girl after all...

Dear Goodmorgan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property. I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed the service you were provided by our great team. We look forward welcoming you back upon your next trip to Toronto.

Newfoundland
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Overall, the Hyatt Regency Toronto is a lovely modern hotel; however, there were some disappointments during our stay.

Check-in was hectic and seemed rather like an assembly line. The staff seemed flustered and were not particularly amicable, but fortunately, it was a fast process. There are a set of stairs as soon as you enter the hotel which is a pain when you have luggage.

The rooms were very modern, which was a nice change from most of the hotels I've stayed in. They were cozy, but certainly not too small. Our friends had a room with two doubles that was very spacious. The bathrooms are not as small as they are portrayed in other reviews, or at least ours was not. We had a beautiful view of the CN Tower! The beds were comfy and there was an iPod dock as well. Internet in the room was not free, which is really unfortunate. Also, there are light switches all over the place, maybe four or five, but none on the wall when you come in. Very weird. Also, the hallways were frickin' freezing. What's up with that?

There is a rooftop pool on the 17th floor. It is absolutely amazing. It offered beautiful views and had a bar. The drinks were pricey, but what do you expect? It was wonderful to spend a few hours in the pool.

This is where it all went wrong. Upon arriving at the pool, I realized I had forgotten my sunscreen so I returned back to my room. When I got back to my room, my key would not work. Unfortunately, I also needed the key to get back into the pool which meant I had to go to the front desk to get it reset. So, dressed in a robe, off I went to the lobby, which is also home to throngs of business men who work in the offices which occupy the bottom half of the hotel, as well as a busy restaurant and bar. When I got to the front desk, the attendant left me standing there in my robe instead of helping me right away. When I finally got to the front and expressed my displeasure, he told me that there were guests already in line ahead of me. I think that employees need to be a little more adaptable to such situations. He then refused to reset my key when I told him I had no ID. Well of course I don't. I'm wearing a robe in the lobby of a busy hotel. He then sent a maintenance worker to fix my door, and when my girlfriend and I returned to our room, it still didn't work. We called several times, and they insisted that there was nothing wrong with the door. The fact that we were calling from the hallway should have been a clue. The door could not be fixed and we eventually had to move. He put us in an upgraded room, but it was too little, too late. Considering this was a manager, this was totally unacceptable.

Anywhoooo, the new room was very nice and much larger. For extended stays, I'd recommend upgrading. The next morning, we ordered breakfast which was good. However, it was late and we had to call down to see when it was coming. Not the best since we had a train to catch.

The location was excellent. Very close to many popular tourist attractions like the CN Tower, Kensington Market and the Eaton Centre.

There is an Indian restaurant called Aroma right across the street. It is seriously good. Amazing food, service and prices. You gotta go. There is also a Greek restaurant down the road called Penelope. Skip it. Overpriced with poor quality and service.

In summary, this is a hotel which has potential, despite our partly negative review. I think with a few changes, mostly with service, this could be a good choice in downtown Toronto.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the CN Tower!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear BranandKrys,

Thank you for taking time to write your concerns regarding your last stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto. We strive to ensure that all guests are pleased with their accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact us.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were told at the front desk that if we paid them $30 more per day we could have a view of the lake from our room... we agreed and when we got to the room... no view except buildings... not even a tiny glimpse... We were also told that they had a Filipinos working there that could help us find some traditional cuisine... that also ended up being untrue... they told us there were Philippine restaurants in the area... again, untrue. The rooms were small (you have to scoot between the wall to get to the other side of the bed) and the bathrooms had to bathtub just showers... Showers so small you touch the side... JUST GROSS! The staff was unhelpful and rude... There are much better places to stay in Toronto... Choose one of those instead... The ONLY reason we are not giving this place a "Terrible" rating is because despite everything... it was at least clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We apologize for the misinformation you received during your stay. We will pass your feedback on to our housekeeping department in hopes this bathroom experience will not be repeated. We're glad we were able to get in contact with you. We hope to hear from you again soon.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked a room online through Air Canada/Orbitz. It stated quite clearly in the ad that internet was included. After arriving and jumping through some hoops (parking is dearly expensive at 29/day) and waiting for my room keys for quite some time, I tried to get online in my room only to discover that in fact, internet was going to be 15/day or more for the high speed service. Calls to the hotel guest services got me nowhere, they wouldn't even look at the confirmation email from the website. Calls to the website customer support, after 20 minutes on hold, got me a very terse, the ad was intended to convey only that internet is available, not included. Which is total garbage, so emails had to go to the Hotel chain, Air Canada and orbitz.

The hotel itself is serviceable, Iittle too trendy for words, the hipsters might like it, I found it pretentious. The a/c in the rooms was completely inadequate for Toronto in the summer and their rates do not match the offering, I expect more at the 200/night price point. Like internet for FREE!

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for the view, it's not worth the upcharge. If you can get internet or p...
Dear Vancouverconsultant,

Thank you for taking time to write your concerns regarding your last stay at the Hyatt Regency Toronto. We strive to ensure that all guests are pleased with their accommodations and the services that are provided to them by the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly at catarina.ferreira@hyatt.com.