“Great value for the Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Toronto
Ranked #32 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Our two night stay in the king bed guest room was pleasant. The staff were friendly and accommodating, the rooms were clean and modern looking. Early spring is a good time to travel and for the price we paid, it exceeded our expectations. It is located in the slightly west downtown area of Toronto; a hop, skip and a jump to anywhere you'd like to be. Subway lines and streetcars make it effortless to venture further away from the core. One slight improvement would be to provide free WIFI, a necessary standard for the modern traveller.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Dear schnugchi:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Toronto.

We're happy to hear how convenient the location was for you to enjoy the sights & sounds of downtown Toronto! It sounds like you really took advantage of the local subway station to get around town.

We're glad you enjoyed the guest rooms. It is satisfying to hear the rooms were accommodating in size and cleanliness.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (2,580)

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Okay, it's got Hyatt in the name ...that's good. The downside is complete indifference about what happens to you after 11:00 and the night staff start despising you for even existing. BEWARE. We thought we were going crazy and went to the other Hyatt at Avenue and Bloor ...THAT was a REAL Hyatt. so... just don't get suckered in by the name. We did some quick research and it turns out the Regency was a Holiday Inn converted into a Hyatt ...which explains the rooms. I feel weird about writing this review. I like Hyatts. But the abandonment of guests after 11:00 is hotel suicide. Guys, get your act together. Don't hand people apizza flyer with a hostile voice and expect them to ever come back. PS: Douchey nightclub music in the lobby. Klassy!

1  Thank Calgaryprisoner
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. I sincerely apologize for the issues you had at the hotel. This is not the level of service we expect from our hotels. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with the best possible experience and this unfortunate situation will be addressed with the appropriate personnel. Please know we do not take this information lightly and I would like to thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt. Should you wish to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact us.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed April 27, 2011

This stay was my first over night experience at a Hyatt Regency, although I have been to a few in other cities. Given that these properties tend to be on the expensive side, I had high expecations of my first stay here in Toronto. The rooms were newly appointed but it wasnt classy or how I would expect it from a Regency. There was a big flat screen tv that was nice but I felt like the bed was sitting in the middle of the room with nothing besides it.
Sounds outside the room were clearly audible and from about 4 AM on I was awoken to a noise that sounded like either drilling or an elevator, yet I was nowhere near the elevator. I would hear it, then it was quiet for 20 minutes, then I'd hear it a few times again... it was very annoying.
Lastly, I am beginning to develop a personal policy where I will not pay for internet access in a hotel room.. Nevertheless, they charged $14.95 a day which is complete robbery when you are paying top dollar for a hotel room. This is a complete turnoff for staying here again or at any hotel that charges $15 a day for internet.
Lobby area was nice and the staff were nice as well. Did I mention that Internet is a complete rip-off at $15 per day?

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Perhaps my expectations of a Hyatt were too high, but I didn't anticipate the quality of stay and calibre of service I received. I don't know enough about the Hyatt chain to appreciate whether the "Regency" line of hotels are there more budget... but regardless the summary of my experiences below do not reflect well on Hyatt or any 3 star + hotel.

1. Upon arrival I parked my vehicle on P2 and proceeded to walk toward the elevator. Someone who looked to be wearing an Engineering uniform exited from a non-labeled door and exited the area where one waits for the elevator. This staff person did not smile, did not hold the door for me or engage with me in any way. As a result, my suitcase became stuck as the door shut making a very awkward first impression.

2. The Front Desk seemed generally understaffed. I called to register my vehicle after using the kiosk check-in and was transferred by the operator to the F/D only to be put on hold for quite some time. I called back, explained to the Operator I had been placed on hold for several minutes. While he did take my plate and said he would register it, there was no apology or sense of urgency from the gentleman for me having been put on hold for some time.

3. I was initially checked into 1536. Decently sized room, modern in decor (identical to other photos posted here). Much to my surprise, I came across spots of urine on the toilet seat. When I called down, Sheena at the desk was quite polite and offered another room, but informed me that the Concierge was going to busy with another guest, so they wouldn't be able to come up and help me for 5 minutes or so, and suggested that I could either wait, or come down myself. Not really wanting to wait around in a dirty room, and since I had stuff I wanted to get to, I opted to go down myself. When I got down, I spoke with a Jose who appeared to be a manager (this was after a wait at the Desk of 2 or 3 mins. as all agents were busy - speaking to point #2). A bellman did approach me while waiting to make small talk which was a nice touch. Once speaking with Jose, he apologized and offered to upgrade me for the inconvenience to one of their "view rooms" overlooking the CN Tower and I was given 1912. I am not sure if Jose just didn't pick his words carefully or is newer and doesn't know his product well, both my original room 1536 and new room 1912 have views of the CN Tower, and while 1912 is a better view of the two, I wouldn't necessarily sell somoene of the CN Tower view when moving them from somewhere else that has a similar feature... especially as a means of compensation for a negative experience.

4. I called for Turndown Service when I went to the gym. I returned to the room to find the bed turned down nicely and the radio on, drapes drawn. But I had taken a shower on arrival and was surprised to see that the washroom had not been touched. The wet towels were still in the tub and no new towels had been given. Turndown service is normally considered a second, light, evening service... and while I wouldn't expect a full re-cleaning, I was surprised that the attendant didn't at least remove the old towels and provide a set of new ones.

5. The toilet doesn't flush properly. You need to hold down the flusher/handle until the bowl fills with water sufficiently for it to flush, you can't just push the handle and walk away. This is a very easy fix by a Maintenance person if reported (I will be mentioning it at check-out for the sake of the next guest).

6. Called for Room Service in the morning and ordered the Eggs Benedict and an Apple/Soy Shake. Food was good, but the shake is advertised with a Biscotti which never arrived... not a big issue, but worth mentioning in light of everything else.

All in all my stay has been disappointing. Granted I got in on a very good rate, it doesn't leave me with a positive impression of Hyatt, which I had always regarded as being a very well run, service oriented organization. The only time during my stay and my MANY encounters with staff either at the desk, in the bar or over the telephone where my name was used was with the Room Service person, otherwise zero name recognition.

Luckily I am a heavy sleeper, but as I sit at the desk in the room and write this review, I can clearly hear every word of the conversation of the gentleman next door. Perhaps its because I am sitting near the window where soundproofing is probably more challenging, but this might be a potential issue for any light sleepers. Truthfully I didn't notice this during the course of the night.

I went down to the bar for a beer and to watch the hockey game. The hotel's proximity to the Entertainment District and probably many clubs meant there were young men and women coming in and out the entire evening (around 10-11pm) and were highly intoxicated. Not that this is the hotel's fault, and I understand they can't control the activities of guests in their room, a word to the wise that they too could be a noise problem. One woman, who could barely walk and must have been 19 if that, propositioned me as she walked out the elevators with her friends on their way to a club no doubt, granted she was joking. Regardless, the pricepoint and location of this hotel might make it attractive to the young party crowd.

With so many accommodation options in Toronto, I just don't think Hyatt Regency makes the grade. I would urge others to stay elsewhere if looking for a truly indulgent stay. This hotel seems to have poor attention to detail, poor cleanliness standards and all-in-all has not impressed me. Especially disappointed with the washroom issue, that is just unacceptable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

I apologize for the unpleasant experience that you endured on this stay. I was concerned to hear about your experience and realize that this is not the expectation our guests have when staying at a Hyatt. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with the best possible experience and this unfortunate situation will be addressed expediently. If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact us.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed April 20, 2011

Spent 5 nights at this great hotel. Fast check-in and the staff were amazingly friendly. Great ammenities, convenient location and modern looking rooms. Room 1455 has a nice view down King Street and of the CN but 1804 was a corner room that when you slept you could view the tower unobstructed. Gabby's bar across the street is a great local place and the Adelaide Street pub around the corner had some great beers on tap. Didn't love the fact that "unsecured" underground parking was $25 per day and that internet was not included. Spent time at the downstairs Starbucks for free internet instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking King St.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Hyatt_370_King_St, Customer Service, Manager at Hyatt Regency Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Dear Cdnhart
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed the service you were provided by our great team. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next trip to Toronto.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

This is clearly an old hotel which has recently been given a facelift. The rooms are small, but nice. They have clearly stripped the old rooms and put in "modern" looking fixtures and fittings.

This leads to some challenges! You have to crawl under a huge headboard to reach bedside plugs! Also there is very little drawer space.

Also as nearly every review says that have remodeled the bathrooms in a very odd way! They have put in frosted glass in the dry wall. Consequently you can see what is happening in the bathroom! That was fine since I was sharing a room with my wife!

Parking is in an unsecure garage under the hotel. We had no problems but I can see why others did.

On the positive side the staff are very friendly and we were offered a two o'clock check out, which was great!

Also this hotel is consistently the cheapest four star in downtown south, when bidding on priceline.

All in all if you want four star service and a happy to put up with rooms which are smaller than the usual four star, then this hotel is for you!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank ctron1

Dear ctron1
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We take all comments received very seriously, and review them with our staff to ensure that any issues are resolved. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed April 6, 2011

Quiet rooms, location is great, quick check in/out using self service kiosks at front desk. Internet is expensive at $14.95 for 24 hours.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Dear Louisbean
Thank you for selecting Hyatt Regency Toronto for your most recent trip to Toronto. We take great pride in our downtown location and I'm pleased to see you found it convenient. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Toronto!