“Unique Experience”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: An Izakaya is a Japanese-style pub and what we strive for at KINKA IZAKAYA is an authentic Izakaya with great food and drinks in an unique atmosphere. Our goal is to serve each and every one of our guests happiness as they experience a "truly authentic Japan".
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Although I had been pre warned about how all staff greet guests upon arrival.. I definitely did not expect the loud cheers and waving when we walked through the door! Took a few minutes to settle into the noise, but I found the energy of the staff to be really contagious... and everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there. The smiles of our server/hostess/bussers really helped me to enjoy my stay.

Service was rather quick.. had a reservation for 5 pm and we were seated right away.. water glasses were never left empty, and we had all our dishes received within good timing of one another. I really loved the look of the restaurant as well... we sat at a smaller wooden table with stools, but you had the option of sitting right alongside the kitchen on bar stools, or out on a lovely little patio.

Now to the foooooooood... oh my it was delicious. I thought the portion sizes were perfect, even as we shared each dish between two people. First up we had the marinated jellyfish (wanted to try something new) and it came mixed with some kind of delicious noodle. Loved it! Had some fried chicken... beef ribs... and the vegetarian bibimbap (mushroom, cheese & seaweed) as well.... and we definitely weren't bursting at the seams, but were very pleased with everything. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the bibimbap... as it was fairly different from any other I have ever had, and it was a neat mix of flavours. Our server even offered to mix it all up for us, which we appreciated! Also the fried chicken was surprisingly some of the best I have ever eaten... with this yummmm aioli on the side.

In total, we left very satisfied.. with more cheers and waving on the way out! Highly recommend this place... although would suit a date with someone you are already comfortable with, as it isn't exactly a quiet space to have deep conversation at. Might get drowned out a few times by the cheers :)

1  Thank emmmyharris

Reviewed July 28, 2014

This place would be AWESOME if I'd been able to understand the menu. Even though there are clear english translations, everything we received was NOT what we thought it was going to be. I'm not exactly sure what we were doing wrong. We would ask questions and the waiters would not really provide helpful explanations. However, I do love the atmosphere and would certainly go again and just take more precautions before ordering! It's very expensive, so be prepared for a large bill.

1  Thank TheMeagerMuse
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I came here for my birthday with my hubby - first time for both of us at an Izakaya bar! The food was great but it's super loud so it was hard to have a conversation. Not a place for first date but it would be great for a big group of friends! :)

1  Thank MissySunshine416
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Was visiting Church Street when we got hungry and smelled something good and decided to find it... and it was the charcoal grilling going on at Guu Izakaya. This seemed like a popular spot with the locals and isn't a large place but we were seated right away (it was around 3pm so an odd time to eat but our bodies were on Pacific time) and got the two skewer samplers and it made for a wonderful and delightful meal! Good service and nicely presented.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a must visit in Toronto, it is exceptional! You must try the Oyster and mushroom and the seared beef.