“Guu...Buu”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: An Izakaya is a Japanese-style pub and what we strive for at KINKA IZAKAYA is an authentic Izakaya with great food and drinks in an unique atmosphere. Our goal is to serve each and every one of our guests happiness as they experience a "truly authentic Japan".
Toronto, Canada
“Guu...Buu”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Guu is more than just food, this is the kind of restaurant were you can grip on a truly different experience.

As you walk through the doors, you will be greeted loudly by a very energetic staff making you feel important and noticed. They greet you with "irasshaimase", which is welcome / come in, in Japanese.

Guu is always packed, so expect a bit of waiting, but since it's downtown just go for a walk and they will call you back.

Try the grilled avocado and prawn topped with mayo and panko crust.

The food is good, don't expect a gourmet experience, but the atmosphere is plain happiness, so be prepared for a loud and energetic environment.

A minus for us was the tables, I don't mind sharing tables with strangers, but they pack too many people on each table and it gets a bit crowded for my tasting.

Overall a good experience.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
“Good place to go with few friends”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

When someone enters or exits the restaurant they are greeted by the entire staff you would think it gets annoying but I found it really cool and even tried to participate but I don’t speak a word of Japanese I just wanted to scream . This is a good place for group setting. The service is top notch anyone walking by your table will take you order, fill your water, pick up plates which made me want to tip better. The restaurant has very small portions but the menu isn’t to expensive. We were 4 people ordered 15 items from the menu few pitchers and it was around 40 each with tips my favorite was the raw octopus with wasabi.. Overall great experience would highly recommend it. Would go back.

• Visited February 2013
ontario
“Totally agree...but wish they had an onsen!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Where to begin? I reviewed the most recent couple dozen Guu reviews and agreed with most of the comments: fun; noisy; welcoming; busy as hell; tasty food; small portions; now taking reservations (thank goodness); come early; pretty affordable; fast service; youth oriented (that's a relative observation!); and our daughter loves the joint ; and there is a smattering of tables for two (mostly hidden behind the coat racks). But I honestly can't say it's truly Japanese in character or taste. Too much sweet sauces so popular with Westerners. But the spinach in sorta miso/sesame sweet sauce was wonderful ! We'd go back but not until we chill with a more authentic omakase. My only reservation in submitting this review is that I hope our daughter doesn't read it 'cuz she loves Guu.

Canada
“As close to Kyoto food as I can get outside of Kyoto”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We got a warm japanese cheer as we entered and exited the resturant. The service was excellent.

The food was delicious althought the desert portion ($4 for cheesecake) was very small.

However, I would return without a doubt!

Toronto
“Go Guu-ing!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Love GUU! my favs are the udon noodles, bibimbap and drinks. portions are not that big compared to north american standards but its filling for me.

Restaurant is noisy with long lineups but they are starting to accept reservations. Still, try to grab a table towards the beginning of the opening hours.

torontofoodie.net