“Good place to go with few friends”

Kinka Izakaya Original
Ranked #84 of 8,439 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Bar, Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: An Izakaya is a Japanese-style pub and what we strive for at KINKA IZAKAYA is an authentic Izakaya with great food and drinks in an unique atmosphere. Our goal is to serve each and every one of our guests happiness as they experience a "truly authentic Japan".
“Good place to go with few friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

When someone enters or exits the restaurant they are greeted by the entire staff you would think it gets annoying but I found it really cool and even tried to participate but I don’t speak a word of Japanese I just wanted to scream . This is a good place for group setting. The service is top notch anyone walking by your table will take you order, fill your water, pick up plates which made me want to tip better. The restaurant has very small portions but the menu isn’t to expensive. We were 4 people ordered 15 items from the menu few pitchers and it was around 40 each with tips my favorite was the raw octopus with wasabi.. Overall great experience would highly recommend it. Would go back.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
ontario
“Totally agree...but wish they had an onsen!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Where to begin? I reviewed the most recent couple dozen Guu reviews and agreed with most of the comments: fun; noisy; welcoming; busy as hell; tasty food; small portions; now taking reservations (thank goodness); come early; pretty affordable; fast service; youth oriented (that's a relative observation!); and our daughter loves the joint ; and there is a smattering of tables for two (mostly hidden behind the coat racks). But I honestly can't say it's truly Japanese in character or taste. Too much sweet sauces so popular with Westerners. But the spinach in sorta miso/sesame sweet sauce was wonderful ! We'd go back but not until we chill with a more authentic omakase. My only reservation in submitting this review is that I hope our daughter doesn't read it 'cuz she loves Guu.

Canada
“As close to Kyoto food as I can get outside of Kyoto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We got a warm japanese cheer as we entered and exited the resturant. The service was excellent.

The food was delicious althought the desert portion ($4 for cheesecake) was very small.

However, I would return without a doubt!

Toronto
“Go Guu-ing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Love GUU! my favs are the udon noodles, bibimbap and drinks. portions are not that big compared to north american standards but its filling for me.

Restaurant is noisy with long lineups but they are starting to accept reservations. Still, try to grab a table towards the beginning of the opening hours.

torontofoodie.net

• Visited October 2012
Whitby, Canada
“Janpanese Tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went with the family (5) to Guu Izakaya and were not disappointed. It is definitely not a place if you want to talk business. The staff is pretty loud but enthusiastic starting with a yelled welcome by the entire staff (they do the same when you leave). I love the idea of the communal tables where you are almost "forced" to make conversation with total strangers. The food is tapas style and if you are with a large enough group you can get a taste of quite a variety of dishes. They have flyers with the daily specials, Some of my favorites were Udon Noodles with Spicy Roe, Sared BC Salmon, Sashimi Scallops and Grilled Beef Tongue. Altogether we paid around $150 for 5 adults which, I think, is quite reasonable. We will be back to try the rest of the menu.