“Excellent food!”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: An Izakaya is a Japanese-style pub and what we strive for at KINKA IZAKAYA is an authentic Izakaya with great food and drinks in an unique atmosphere. Our goal is to serve each and every one of our guests happiness as they experience a "truly authentic Japan".
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Great food; we enjoyed in particular the aga dashi tofu, and the salmon sashimi. As others have noticed, it was quite loud, but the chefs (we were seated at the bar) were very friendly, service was great, and the noise allowed our baby to join in the action and give out a few yells, and we didn't feel like he was being an imposition :-) We showed up around 6pm and the place was already full; definitely recommend coming early.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Personally, it's a bit too loud to talk in this restaurant. If you would like to chat, I guess this is not the best place to go. However, their food are delicious.

Like most other IZAKAYA restaurants, it is very energetic. Staffs are very polite but the place has been busy all the time; therefore, it is very hard to ask for assistance.

Every time I go to GUU, I would order the LARGE size of Almond Tofu. It is hard to find this dish elsewhere.

Compare to other IZAKAYA, portion are smaller and price are a bit more expensive but I think it is worth the price. I prefer the GUU on church street instead of the one on Bloor. The menu are a bit different, I think.

1  Thank chocolateeemonster
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We tried a broad variety of tapas, all we're tasty and well presented. The place is very informal, loud, and friendly. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I found out about Guu when I visited Vancouver in 2006 and had since dreamt of the day it would come to Toronto - it finally did in 2010 and I was ecstatic! The service and quality are just the same as Vancouver.
This is not a place for an intimate date - it's loud and rambunctious and full of energy - it's a super fun place to go.

The FOOD - there was no other place in Toronto that had food like this - it's unique and twists Japanese tapas into interesting tasty dishes. Other "izakyas" have opened up since, but are not up to the standard as Guu.

My favourite things to have:

Salmon and 7 friends/Salmon Natto Yukke (salmon sashimi diced up with cucumber, natto, raw egg, garlic...etc...) - you scoop up the mixture into pieces of nori - delicious! May not be a fave with others as it does have a gooey texture due to the natto and raw egg.

Salmon Tataki - seared salmon with ponzu sauce and mayo and onions

Scallop Carpaccio

Fresh amaebi (not always available)

Agedashi Tofu

Udon with Kimchi - udon with cod roe and spicy kimchi on top

Kinoko Bibimbap - rice in stone pot with mushrooms and cheese and a sweet sauce - sprinkled with seaweed on top

Almond Tofu - super creamy!

There are daily special menus that change all the time and are based on what's fresh and in stock - so check that out as well.

No reservations so go EARLY so you don't have to wait.

There's another location @ Bathurst and Bloor but it doesn't have the variety this location has and I find it slightly under par compared to other Guus I've been to.

2  Thank CarinaInRedDeer
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a very trendy restaurant, great atmosphere and pretty good food. The place is pretty small and that makes for a great sense of community. The atmosphere is why you would go to this restaurant. Food is good but not good enough reason to wait in a long long line, as it seems to be the case most of the time. They do not take reservation. While I enjoyed the experience I am not sure I will return given the many restaurant options in the area. Given the location in a busy part of downtown Toronto, it is important that there is plenty of parking close by.

1  Thank Traveler2009