“Trendy”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: An Izakaya is a Japanese-style pub and what we strive for at KINKA IZAKAYA is an authentic Izakaya with great food and drinks in an unique atmosphere. Our goal is to serve each and every one of our guests happiness as they experience a "truly authentic Japan".
Toronto, Canada
“Trendy”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a very trendy restaurant, great atmosphere and pretty good food. The place is pretty small and that makes for a great sense of community. The atmosphere is why you would go to this restaurant. Food is good but not good enough reason to wait in a long long line, as it seems to be the case most of the time. They do not take reservation. While I enjoyed the experience I am not sure I will return given the many restaurant options in the area. Given the location in a busy part of downtown Toronto, it is important that there is plenty of parking close by.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Traveler2009

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
“different and fun”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I agree with previous reviews, this place puts a smile in your face and the food is terrific. I love the concept of Japanese tapas, very well done!

• Visited June 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Good experience”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After hearing many people raving about this restaurant I decided to try it with my girlfriends. We purposely went there early to avoid the line-up, we got there at 5pm and got a table right away. The food was good, one thing to keep in mind is the portions are fairly small, so you will need to order a lot to share. Unfortunately, the seating were uncomfortable. People started to come in around 6pm and the noise level sky rocketed. We literally had to scream at each other in order to be heard. Overall, it was an experience. I personally don't see the value for lining up a few hours to eat there. When we left the line up was pretty long - glad we were able to avoid it.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank kaylee30
Calgary, Canada
“Great girl's Night out”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Guu Izakaya is a hopping spot in a great location downtown. I went there with two other girlfriends on a Thursday night at 6:30 and we waited about 20 minutes for a table inside. The atmosphere is very vibrant and the decor is beautiful. For dishes we shared a few different items including
1. Seaweed miso soup of the day- standard flavours but delicious none the less
2. Ebimayo- I'm not a tempura person but have to admit the shrimp were cooked perfectly
3.Scallop and enoki mushroom- my FAV dish, really delicious flavours and lots of mushrooms, definitely recommend
4. Buta Kimchi BibimBap- authentic, great texture and a lovely dish to share
5. Yaki Udon- really yummy, lots of meat and mushrooms

overall the meal was well-priced service was friendly and fast and a great evening. I look forward to coming back with my friends another time this summer. I wouldn't recommend this place for a romantic date since the restaurant is loud, but a fun spot for young professionals.

• Visited May 2012
San Francisco, California
“Great fun and some good dishes.”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We came here at around 5:30pm on Friday evening and there was no wait. We sat at the bar and were right in front of all the action! Everyone who works there constantly yell at everything. When people walk in, they yell welcome, when a dish is ready for pickup, they yell the dish name, and when people leave, they yell thank you and come back soon... All in Japanese! It is pretty much impossible to carry on a conversation there. I'd say that this is definitely a fun group place, and absolutely not a romantic restaurant. By the time we left at around 8PM, there was a huge crowd outside waiting to come in. Most of the customers here were Asian. Many Japanese customers.

As for food, some dishes are really good, but some are kind of terrible.

Good:

Oden
Fried pumpkin balls
Almond custard. (The best I've had! Really delicious.)

Okay:

sashimi

Avoid:
Gindara (Black cod. The fish was not marinated long enough and tasted blend.)
Takoyaki (octopus balls. They were deep fried instead of grilled and did not taste really good.) Okonomiyaki (Pancakes)

• Visited May 2012