“Really cool experience”

Ranked #311 of 8,772 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: ONoir, a unique restaurant based on Dine-in-the-dark concept and featuring vision-impaired servers.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

When i fist hear about this place, i was a little reluctant to try it out. It sounded like a gimmick restauraunt but i was surpised at how much it really changed the eating experience.
The dim entrance was nice to get our eyes accustomed to the dark, and not as harsh coming out of the dining room.

We were a group of 4, and I think this is ideal. Bigger groups were around us, and they were shouting at each other to be heard down (what seemed to be) large tables. So obviously it can get very noisy. Food was OK, pricey for the quality but i guess the main thing is the experience.

Warning: Go to the washroom before you eat! It was frustrating for one of our group to wait and keep calling the server and had to be escorted out of the dining room.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Had a fantastic supper here! Victor our server explained everything very well. The food was delicious, I had the portabello mushroom salad, filet mignon, and chocolate mousse and it was all done very well.

There is no other dining experience like it, and is one that everyone should try. It gives you such a different perception of dining, experiencing the flavours of a meal without the visual aspect. My husband and I both enjoyed it and would try it again.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great experience. At first my mum was quite disliking not being able to see anything, but we made it through all 3 course.
Our waiter Victor was wonderful! Food was yummy we chose to select our food before going into the dinning area, however you can choose to 'be surprised'.
Victor explained how everything worked and guided us to our seats, was very clear about where everything was on our table and where we were seated, and that we should not try to leave, but rather call for him to escort us.
I had the portobello mushrooms to start, followed by veggie pasta and chocolate mousse cake. Everything was simple and delicious.
It's difficult to explain how it feels, and is something you need to do to understand it, but I will say when it says you are eating in the dark it means just that. It is pitch black in the dining room and you can not see anything, your eyes don't adjust and it takes a bit to adjust to the light outside once you leave.
Some people may find it uncomfortable (like my mum), but I felt safe and happy to complete all three courses.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

1- Staff are friendly
2- Food is fine but small portions
3- Expensive
It is different, actually unique, and should try it.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I took my husband here for his birthday after a day at the spa. He didn't know what we were doing until he actually walked into the dark! We both loved it. We both had the portabella for the appetizer and the steak with potato and vegetables for dinner...both were delicious! We ordered a bottle of wine and he brought it out one glass at a time for us which was nice; they also cut your meat for you...another bonus in the dark:) Service was fast but not rushed. I think it's a great gift idea or something fun to do that's unique.