“Some good some not so much”

Keating Channel Pub and Grill
Ranked #3,693 of 8,516 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto, Canada
“Some good some not so much”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Parked here for free before Cirque performance so it was good value, saved $15 parking fee. We sat outside which was comfortable but the service was very slow although they were not that busy. Tried the onion rings which were below average, but our pasta dish and stir fry were both very good. Coffee good but I never understand places that charge $2.50 for a single small glass of a soft drink. The menu is very large with lots of selection. With free parking a good find.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank OntarioCanuck1

Toronto
“A hidden Gem - respectfully disagree with the other reviews”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and I have been meaning to swing by the Keating Channel Pub for some time, as we leave fairly close by. Although it is in a bit of an odd spot, we were truly pleasantly surprised with the food and beverages.

The pub is currently undergoing a bit of renovation, the washrooms were recently re-done, and very nice, but it looks like they are almost done (need to fill in some ceilings). After reading the first two reviews, we were wary that it might be a real dive, but we didn't find that to be the case.

The decor is definitely sparse - inside there are basic chairs and tables in a large open space, and a nice large bar on the south side of the room. Outside, where we ate, you can sit next to the channel and seating is at a variety of picnic-style tables (i.e. bench style).

The menu has a of variety - but it could probably be slimmed down and updated. I initially wanted to order the ribs, but was informed that they didn't cook ribs anymore because of lack of demand. While it's much better that they don't carry something they can't cook or support properly, it was mildly disappointing. I ordered the fish and chips instead, as it was fairly standard pub fare and a good baramoter of quality. My wife ordered a salad with blackened chicken breast.

The fish and chips were excellent - fresh out of the fryer and wrapped in newspaper (NOW magazine). The fries were crisp and the fish nicely cooked - not over or underdone - and flaky and moist on the inside. Better than average for pub far for sure. The chicken was cooked and seasoned nicely too - also above average. Finally - the beers were ice cold from the tap, which was very pleasant on a hot day - and there were a good variety. We had pints of Kronenbourg, Smithwicks and Blue light - all delightful.

Value-wise - I would definitely say the prices are near the median for pub fare for Toronto (which should be pint + burger&fries = $20) The food is definitely above average and it is a very good dining experience. For reference, I'd say overall the food is probably better than what you'd get at a good Duke or Firken franchise.

Once the area gets developed, this place is going to be a gold mine. Right now, if they can get the decor right to balance, day/night, trim the menu, and maybe get more comfortable seating everywhere, this could be definitely be a top pub destination.

We paid full price, but we received full value. No concerns regarding the bill or integrity of the service.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank SksAdvntr
canada
“below average”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Purchased a voucher through dealfind to try this restaurant. Visited on a Saturday night, restaurant was not busy at all, there was a group of about 10 people and another couple. Very difficult to find the location, nestled near factories and the Don River, when the restaurant emptied out we hurried to get out of there as well, didn't feel safe being in that area just hubby and I.
Food was nothing great, we had the platter for two, wings, nachos as well as their spring rolls which were greasy and too much pastry.
Would not recommend this restaurant, glad I had a voucher as I would have been pretty disappointed had I had to pay full price for the food.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank snowbunnii
Markham
“Cheating Owner (or waitress)”
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Location:

Situated at the base of Don River and near the east end of Toronto harbour, the resto features some waterway view, However, the place is in the middle of Toronto's factory district and kinda freaked us out when we arrived after nightfall.

My Complaint:

I purchased a $45 discount voucher from Deafind to try this eatery out. When we arrived at the door, their "Tonight's Specials" were shown everywhere in the restaurant EXCEPT on the menus and prices of those specials were really your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine, if we were too shy to ask the waitress. In the process of finishing our dessert, the bill landed on our table and we were told that 15% gratuity had to be AUTOMATICALLY tagged on to the bill due to our use of the voucher, which was NOT stated anywhere on the voucher. Regardless, we reluctantly agreed. However, when we looked at the bill, the amount of gratuity was MORE THAN 15% of the AFTER-TAX amount of the bill, which is DOWNRIGHT ILLEGAL in Ontario!

My Verdict:

Besides this fraudulent practice, to be fair, their food is quite good in either taste and portion. However, their billing practice put a serious dent in our dining experience and our willingness to return to this place next time. In fact, the Ontario's Consumer and Corporate Affairs will be my next stop to put this illegal practice to rest.

• Visited March 2011