“REAL SUSHI GEM”

Neighborhood: Downtown
toronto
“REAL SUSHI GEM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I thought I had tasted the best sushi in Toronto until I happen upon Solo Sushi Bekkan, a tiny 22-seater sushi-ya wedged in between on Grosvenor St right across from the Fire Station and the Central Y. The sushi and sashmi are masterly-crafted and fresh as if I was just eating right in Tokyo Tsukiji Market. The daily specials are must to taste and savour and the bill is reasonable $70.00 per person including taxes & tips. The whole eating experience was 'OISHIKATTA'! 'GO-CHISOU SAMA DESHITA!!

• Visited August 2012

Mississauga
“Great Little sushi place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I liked the intimacy of the place and the attention that we got. It is very cool to see your food being made in the same room that you are in. Will definitely go back. It isn't a place for young kids though. More a couples place. It is a very small restaurant.

Visited October 2011
Toronto, Canada
“Horrible, save your money and go elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Solo Sushi Bekkan is located just north of Yonge St and College St. It is not very spacious and seats approximately 16 - 20 people at most. I heard about this restaurant through the Toronto Star, it is the sister restaurant to Solo Sushi Ya in Newmarket.

Firstly, it is extremely difficult to find a sushi restaurant that is run by Japanese people. I would honestly believe that 99% of all sushi restaurants in Toronto and the GTA are staffed by Korean or Chinese people.

You would believe that a sushi restaurant run by Japanese people, those that brought it to the world, would be at a level above the typical restaurant. This was not the case for Solo Sushi Bekkan.

We attended for a late lunch at about 2pm. While we ate, there were only 2 other couples there, I suppose the regular lunch crowd had come and gone. The male staff employee was very attentive and I have nothing bad to say about the service

I ordered a Sashimi Set $15 and Eel Avocado Roll $6. My partner ordered the Chirashi Don $17. I asked the waiter about ordering omakase, in true Japanese fashion, this is where the chef serves you what he thinks would suit you by how you look. Here in Toronto, it usually means the chef serves you the best things he can make and hopefully it shines. The waiter advised that omakase is available lunch or dinner. I was thinking I would come back and try omakase to taste their best. Not anymore.

So, we were both served the standard small bowl of salad, which had small slices of pear, something other restaurants don't usually do. We both received the standard bowls of miso soup. These were both average.

I received the roll next. The taste of the eel and avocado were completely overwhelmed by the quantity of rice. I honestly cannot think of any sushi place that I've ever eaten at that puts so much rice on its rolls. Even the cheesy Mandarin buffet with its little salmon rolls has a better fish to rice ratio ! ! My god, what a rip-off.

The sashimi set came with 3 large slices of salmon, red tuna, lightly cooked white tuna and a very large shrimp. Both tunas were nothing special, the shrimp was okay, but the salmon was horrible! It was still partially frozen! When you eat partially frozen sashimi, the taste is pretty much ruined, it's like having warm beer. I decided to let it thaw and eat it when I was near done.

My wife received her Chirashi Don, the waiter pointed out the fish items and named them for us. I don't know why, maybe he thought we didn't know fish. Anyway, it had the same fish items as my sashimi set but included 3 small pieces of mackerel, some radish pieces, spicy red tuna shreds (instead of large slices) and a spreading of fish roe. Nothing special or better than most other sushi restaurants.

At one point, my wife asked me, "Did he say this was spicy tuna?" I said, "Yes, why do you ask?" She asked because the tuna was not spicy at all! Did the chef forget to add the spice?

After eating most of my food, I went for the salmon, thinking it would taste better now that it had thawed a little more. It was PATHETIC ! The salmon was horribly sliced as well. Salmon when sliced properly will have certain amounts of white fat in it, those are the white lines you see on it and gives it its taste.

I asked the waiter if it was typical to serve partially frozen salmon. His response was not clear or reassuring. He stated that the salmon was fresh but it was cold because it had been place on some tray or something like that. If felt as if he was making up an excuse for the poorly prepared and poorly cut food.

OH MY GOD, WHAT A HORRIBLE OUTING. BAD, BAD, BAD....

I felt that I would have been better served going to an all you can eat (AYCE) place.

If you feel like sushi: Kaori, Hachitarou, Hiro or Tako Sushi.