“I would highly recommend Downtown Renaissance Toronto to friends & family”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Looking for hotel close to Molson Amphitheatre while on budget. Was given this hotel as option on Priceline.Com. I was greeted courteously by desk clerk and asked to get a fridge. Our room was upgraded with living room on suite at no additional charge. Location was perfect as we visited the HHOF as well. Our concierge was very helpful and room service was very prompt (even at 10 minutes to close). Very relaxing room and everything was within walking distance. Overall had an excellent experience and would definitely stay at the Downtown Renaissance Toronto again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Stayed here for a week. We chose this hotel because of the location, which was perfect for our purposes.
A little underwhelmed as we expected a four-star hotel and yet the hotel furnishings were just okay. But the room was spacious and comfortable. Check-in and check out was smooth. Bell hop service was good when we arrived with our luggages. However, they appeared to ignore us in the following days when we approached the entrance - maybe they knew no tips if no luggages?
There was a sporting event one night and we noticed quite a few rowdy guests in the lobby. But our room was nice and quiet.
We had lunch at the restaurant a few times and enjoyed the food and service. All in all, this hotel was okay.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I have waited writing this review, in hopes that hotel management would get back to me to discuss my concerns. I left a comment card, left several messages for "Neve," and when I finally was able to speak with someone was told the General Manager would be calling on Friday (this has now been 2 weeks ago). When booking this hotel, I explained the situation of my husband's disability. He uses an electric scooter and we require wheelchair accessibility. The reservation lady assured us that there are highly valued accessible rooms and she indicated the hotel was very suitable. She proceeded to tell us about the beautiful pool area and wonderful W/C accessible rooms. Upon arrival, our room was NOT accessible at all. There was only 1 safety bar and there was a bathtub, which my husband is unable to use, as he needs a stand in shower with a seat. I explained this to the front desk and they were NOT accommodating at all.

The hotel brags about a wonderful night sleep... The walls and doors are so paper thin you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallways. The first night we listened to a domestic dispute from 2 a.m. until 4:30 am. I called the front desk and the security guard came, knocking 4 times throughout 1 hour, telling the other guests to be quiet. Eventually they were removed from the hotel, but not until sleep was way past due. I heard EVERY detail about this fight, which was occurring in a room down the hall.

The second night, we were awoken to the 2 am bar crowd, again making terrible noise throughout the halls. The third night, Justin Bieber's concert, again was sleepless. We spent $250/night for one of those nights! This hotel prides itself on being 4stars...I have had better night's sleep and service in many other budget hotels.

We decided to check out the pool area, which the reservation lady had assured me was accessible for my husband. The access to this pool is a winding staircase, so my husband could not use it at all. I asked the front desk if there was an alternate route to the pool. She replied that there is a "bat cave" way there, but that she would not allow us to use it.

We decided to try to get a W/C accessible taxi, as there was not much we could do at the hotel. We asked the concierge service for the contact information. She was quite rude, and then proceeded to give us 3 numbers to call...none of which worked for an accessible taxi and which I spent an hour trying to figure out who the correct person for me to talk to was.

We travel frequently and I work in the travel industry. We are not picky and do not complain often. This was the worst stay, with the worst service, and the worst follow up care I have ever seen. I am still waiting for someone from the hotel to try to rectify this, as we are still completely dissatisfied. Three nights and $700 later...

We feel we were totally lied to by the hotel, they did nothing to try to assist us in our stay. With accessibility being such an important part of today's time, this hotel should hang it's head in shame at how they react to patrons who are alternately abled.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jennykash
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I picked this hotel for a business trip because the rate was very competitive compared with the other downtown hotels. I booked for $190 CAD per night, AAA rate that was supposed to include continental breakfast. Upon check in, the continental breakfast evolved into a $48 food credit per night, with my choice of either restaurant or room service. That made the stay pretty reasonable for Toronto. The hotel is 3 blocks off King Street with its restaurants, and not far at all from Chinatown.
I had no quibble with the room for a business stay. Everything was clean, the bed was super comfy, and the room was very light & bright. I wouldn't pick this for a romantic getaway with the hubby though. The bathroom was large, lots of towels and supplies, and my room had no issues with mold or anything like previously mentioned. However, my colleague said his room did have mold issues on the ceiling and tiles. I guess its hit or miss.
There were two big drawbacks to my room. First, no safe. That meant I had to carry my passport everywhere with me. Second, the train tracks. As soon as I saw them out my window I knew that would mean trouble and I was right. The trains mercifully come a lot less frequently overnight, but they do still pass by and in my room on floor 4 every time one passed the window-the bed-my teeth all rattled. They gear up again bright and early around 7AM. I had my white noise app on my iPhone but it didn't really help. Getting a room on a high floor might.
I used the gym twice. It is TINY with old equipment, but the treadmill worked and that's all I cared about. I had the gym to myself, and peeked my head in the pool room. It was empty too, which was a shame because it looked nice to me.
Room service was not overly expensive, no irritating fees, and arrived on time and hot. Service was friendly. The food quality was typical room service, except their signature apple pancakes were just terrific.
If you are looking for a hotel with lots of amenities (pool, gym, onsite parking, restaurant, etc) and don't mind the train noise then the Renaissance would be an okay choice IF you come across a great deal. If you get stuck paying the going rate there are definitely better properties all over the city where you can be guaranteed peace and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KitchaMitcha
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We have stayed here before and I must say that this hotel has improved recently. Previously, the swimming pool area was in need of a serious facelift and they have done just that. They did a great job. The level of service has gotten better and the staff has really gone out of their way to get better. One small issue we had was taken care of by Jennifer and we appreciated this. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jiffypop101
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The room I booked through their reservations was not the room they gave me. This game-viewing room was a splurge to surprise my teenagers who said, "wow this is great, but where do we sleep" as there was only one bed. After being told by the front desk, "what do you want us to do," and me replying, "give me the room I booked months ago," the manager found us the correct room. Holding an emailed confirmation of the more expensive room, I was told the bigger rooms were first come first serve. As of this date, this is not indicated on their website or their call center.

Nice room, clean, comfortable beds. Great to watch the game and great location, but no complimentary internet or continental breakfast. In fact, I was charged two 24-hour internet charges for one night. Again, they corrected their mistake. The check in staff along with the bellhops and valet were way overwhelmed, outnumbered and understaffed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank pjalmttraveler
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I would give this hotel 3 1/2 stars if I could. It has a definite WOW factor - the fact that it is adjacent to the Rogers center and you can watch games or shows directly from the hotel restaurant or from some of the rooms. Another great feature are large windows - almost from floor to ceiling. The beds are comfortable, the liners are crispy clean. I was staying in a regular room with a King-sized bed and had a gorgeous view of CN Tower.

However, this hotel definitely needs a renovation if it is to keep its star rating. Carpets look dated, bathrooms are far from modern, hallways look a bit gloomy. And the weirdest thing of all - no WiFi! It costs $13 / day to use high-speed internet with a cable or to access TV Internet. There is a business center where one can use the Internet but you are charged per minute.

In terms of location, Renaissance Hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Air Canada center, the Union train station and the closest subway station.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to others, but would give them heads up not to expect any modern amenities.

• Stayed: August 2010