“Watch your credit card!”

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #30 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Mississauga, Canada
“Watch your credit card!”
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I stayed here because I needed to get away from home for a night, and I won this hotel for a $58 bid on priceline.

The hotel was pretty good, though I'd advise asking for a room close to the elevator; room 397 was a VERY long way from the elevator.

The room was very clean, and huge, and the bed was great.

However, the day following check out, my credit card was charged $68.40, with absolutely no explanation as to why.

I was told that this charge would be refunded, however they have yet to do so (after over 10 days!), and I'm now having to call MasterCard to dispute the charge.

• Liked — Huge room
  • Disliked — A bit noisy; false charge on my credit card
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Niagara Falls
Reviewed April 11, 2007

This was my first stay at a Renaissance hotel and not only would I visit this hotel again, but I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. The staff was very pleasant, starting from the valet attendants to the front desk associates.

I booked the trip on Hotwire, which rates the Renaissance Toronto Hotel Downtown as a "4 Star". My overall impression was not that of a 4 star, rather, a 3/3.5.

I do not have any major complaints, however, some minor flaws in the hotel that if worsened, could lead to a rather disappointing trip. The rooms could use some slight upgrades and a little elbow grease. While my room was not awful, I am certain there are better rooms at the hotel, and a hotel of rooms in the condition of mine, would not rate as a "4 Star".

The front desk associate was very helpful in suggesting I watch the ballgame from the Hotel lounge/bar "Arriba". This is something I would do again and suggest to any visitor that isn't 100% enthused with baseball.

Overall, I do not have any real complaints. It is a hotel I would stay at again, but with moderate expectations. I am not certain I would pay the weekday list price for this room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bheikoop
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Renaissance Hotel Downtown Toronto.

I stayed here for 2 nights while on business in February. I picked it because of the earlier reviews and for it’s location close to the CN Tower so I could go up if I got time. It also close to the PATH underground maze of shops.

Reception: The staff were efficient & friendly. The area was spacious and nicely decorated.

Room: Good size, clean, comfortable beds. TV, Internet access, Tea / Coffee facilities, Iron/Board, all available in-room.

Bathroom: Spacious, clean, bright.
No real problems, I was lucky enough that my room was close to the elevator, but I understand some of the comments regarding corridor length as I had to get ice from the machine at the end of it – and the machine was out of order!

I had a room with the view of the stadium, however nothing much was going on other than pitch laying for a cricket exhibition match. However, this meant 24hr floodlighting as the roof was closed also. There was a blizzard outside for most of the stay so I saw little daylight.

The restaurant was fine, I had all my Toronto meals there due to the weather. The food was good and the service was good also. The restaurant also overlooks the stadium. I imagine it’s great during the baseball season.

It was certainly different, but I’d probably try somewhere else next time, if only for a bit of natural light.

• Liked — Restaurant service, the view for the first few hours, location
  • Disliked — No natural light
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Tuam1
London, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2007

This property is a nice hotel typical of a 3 or 3.5 star rating. Its location is ideal if you're attending an event at the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) or in the general area.

One general warning is that the hotel offers a group of rooms with stadium views. I am sure these are fabulous rooms during baseball season, however, during the off-season these rooms seem dark because the dome is closed during the winter. Also, I was there during the car show and while it was unique to watch the crowds for awhile, the noise and dim lighting were not ideal. Again, I think if you are staying there to get a view of a particular event then this would not be a problem.

Otherwise, the highlights of this property were definitely the staff - the desk staff were always helpful and pleasant. Also the self-parking is reasonable at about $16/night with in/out privileges.

A few problems include the fact the room was sprayed with a strongly scented deodorizer that was off-putting. Also, the room itself was sparse and showed signs of wear and age - not typical of the Renaissance properties which often feature distinctive design and furniture.

Overall, this is a decent property that would benefit from some upgrades.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cdn1939
Lincoln, UK
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We stayed for two nights here at the end of our holiday and I am glad we did not stay for any longer. It is not a bad hotel but does not compare to others we stayed in in Canada. As other reviews state you have to realise it is wrapped around sports centre so expect to have to walk a fair way to your room. We were upgraded to a Jacuzzi bath room which was great, although not the cleanest bathrooms and starting to get a bit worn. But the bed was huge and in an enormous room. Overlooked railway tracks so not great but hey we didnt spend that much time in the rooms anyway. If you are a ice hockey fan then there is the Wayne Gretzky restaurante just a few mins walk from the hotel, which serves great cheap food and drinks and atmosphere is great esp on a match night. We ended up there for dinner on both nights of our stay. Hotel is also very close to the CN Tower which you have to go up, I hated the glass floor but glass does not cover the whole floor so you dont have to walk on it if you dont want. The hotel health centre is not very good, didnt try the gym but the pool was okay, the whirlpool did not whirl and was not that warm and the sauna was a bit dirty, went in it once and then decided by jacuzzi bath in my room was by far better. The whole health suite was grubby and could do with a makeover. In comparison to London hotels of a similar rating then this was nice but am sure there are probably nicer hotels to stay at in Toronto.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank piink
Moncton, NB
Reviewed January 7, 2007

My son and I spent from January 2nd to 6th at the Renaissance, as we wanted to see a Raptors game. We were pleased with our experience. We took the $149 per night room rate, as it included breakfast. (Any meal at the Ariba restaurant, really, as you are credited $45 per day, from noon to noon the next day. Breakfast for two plus tip fits nicely within the $45.)

I did hear a few loud talkers at 4 or 5 AM, as they returned from the nightclubs, I imagine, but nothing excessive. When you're offered a choice between the CityView room and the SkyDome view, both have their ups and downs. The CityView offers a view of the city (mostly train tracks and construction sites) but you are bothered by the trains every 10 minutes, starting at 5am. The SkyDome view is great if there's something going on in the dome, but at night, they turn everything off, and it's bleak.

I was pleased with the cleanliness and the service. There's internet access and printing in the lobby area, but don't be fooled by the "Internet Access in room" promise, as it is $13 per day. There is free WiFi in the lobby, which is okay.

The hotel is located in the Rogers Centre (Skydome) and is at the base of the CN tower. It's 10-15 minutes walk from the nearest bus or subway, but after that's you're all set.

I would go back anytime...

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank SteveDCormier
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed December 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed for just one night. If it had been any longer I would have found a different hotel. The rooms are not at all as described, there was blood and cigarette burns in the bedding and our breakfast included in the room rate cost us $40. The pool is about 10 miles from any room and it takes weeks to find your room from the elevator as the hallways are the longest I have ever traveled. The absolute worst part however was the fact that upon check-in we were presented with a sheet of paper to sign stating that the hotel had a strict occupancy limit of four in each room and a zero tolerance policy on noise and parties. We were kept awake alllll night by what seemed like an entire floor of drunken frat boys. We started calling the front desk around eleven and called about every hour until 5am when they seemed to start passing out. Now this was not a small party, this was rooms full of drunk kids screaming, yelling and fighting both in their rooms and in the halls. Everytime we called the desk they told us that they knew about the problem because of numerous other complaints and that security was on their way. Security did not come. When I questioned the front desk in the morning as to why nothing was done about the noise I was told that "there is no way we can police the entire hotel. There were alot of parties last night and we could not take care of all of them". Never again. From now on I'll just stay at The Grand where I know I will be comfortable.

• Liked — The waiter at Arriba
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book elsewhere