“Weekend conference in Toronto”

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Edmonton, Alberta
“Weekend conference in Toronto”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is a pretty good hotel.

I stayed at this hotel during a 2 day continuing education course. The course organizers selected the hotel and presumably obtained a group rate, so I cannot say how much the room costs.

I flew into Toronto quite late and arrived at ~1 am. The receptionist at the front desk was helpful, and I believe, provided me an "upgraded" room.

The room is very nice. It was a two floor room, with a view on the Rogers Centre field. I am not much of a spectator sports fan, but can easily imagine the appeal in watching the Blue Jays (or Argonauts) put up a valiant struggle before eventual defeat... The lower room has a capacity limit of 15. The bedroom upstairs was well furnished. The upstairs wash-room had a complicated shower with too many levers and buttons. A comfortable king-sized bed was provided. A coffee machine is provided. The rooms are non-smoking.

The hotel has a somewhat dated feel, I suspect reflective of the decade in which the Rogers centre (former Sky Dome) was built. Clean, but starting to be a little worn out.

The conference facilities were good individually. Getting from one meeting room to another was an exercise in trail making. A large auditorium is on the 2nd floor (with nice views of the city) and two meeting rooms in the basement. This required 2 elevators or 3 sets of fire-escape style stairs. The food during the breaks was typical (not too healthy muffins mostly).

A few significant down-sides:
1 Transit to the hotel almost certainly requires a taxi ride. I took the TTC from the Airport to the hotel when I arrived, but this is a long time-consuming ride, 1 bus, 2 subways and a 5-6 block walk from Union station. Going back to the hotel, I took a taxi (but keep in mind the inevitable traffic to the airport and count 60 - 90 minutes in travel).

2 An exercise centre is provided, but closed as of 6pm on Saturday and all day Sunday, so entirely useless for my needs. (Very contradictory for a "sports" themed hotel.)

3 Religious propaganda is in full place at this hotel, not only the typical hotel bible but also a mormon religious text is available for your reading pleasure!

4 Finally, Internet access is available (wireless or wired)... at a cost of $13 / day. I find this excessive and clearly priced above the cost of the providing service. At a hotel that does not charge for using the TV, hot water or electricity, I believe that $13 (plus tax) is a rip-off.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel (with reservations), especially for someone who enjoys spectator sports.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Full disclosure, I got a ridiculously good Priceline bid in ($61/night), so I'm really not complaining. But beware, as Priceline says this is a 4-star hotel - there's just no way that it is. While I'm sure I wasn't going to be given the Rain Man Suite based upon my Priceline bid, would it have been asking too much to get a room that didn't have its (dated) wallpaper falling off or one that had all the trash picked up from the floor before we got there? Decor for the hotel is super old and in need of updating. Also, if you get an outside room, be aware the train runs right next to it. To be fair, the windows were pretty sound proof, so it just sounded like a dog growling when the train when by. The soundproofing between the hallways and the room, however, is a different story - you hear every yahoo coming back at 2:00 am and later. Romance factor is a zero. Location is just ok - right accross from CN Tower, which is good if you're going to the CN Tower, but a 10 minute walk to the nearest subway station (Union) where you can reach more of the action (Toronto has a lot of great things to do, and the subway is a nice way to get to them). That walk was not fun in the rain. In summary, this is by no means a terrible place, it just is not the kind of place you want to pay rack rates for, and not the 4 star that Priceline says it is.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
St. John's, NL
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed at this hotel two times on our recent vacation - one night at the beginning and two nights at the end. Our party included two adults, one preschooler and one teenager.

On our first night we had an excellent room on the eighth floor that was well worth every penny - lots of room and well laid out. Unfortunately there weren't any stadium view rooms available.

On our return to the hotel a few days later we were given another room on the eighth but it was very poorly laid out and way smaller than the first. It wasn't good for us at all, but we got moved after discovering that one section of the carpeting on the floor was soaking wet - a leak from the pipes in the washrrom I suspect! The room on the 3rd floor that we got moved to was adequate, and probably a little above average with respect to room size, but certainly not as well laid out as our first room.

Overall, the hotel was good, and the service was great, but parts of the hotel was looking a little worn. Maybe some minor renos might help some areas of the decor!

Parking: $20 per day is a pretty good rate, and I would advise against valet parking. The entrance to the underground parking is a few minutes drive away, but the parking is directly underneath the hotel so it is an easy jaunt to the elevators and into the hotel.

Room Service: Very slow and extremely salty for our tastes. Priced about average for room service.

Restaurant: The weekend buffet was quite good and not priced too high. Kids under five get the buffet for free, but be sure to check your bill - we were charged for our preschooler, but this was quickly fixed when it was brought to the attention of the staff.

Service: Excellent. All of the staff that we encountered were excellent - very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank PlannermanNL
sault ste marie
Reviewed September 1, 2009

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We were there earlier than we had expected, way before check in time however, we were able to check into our hotel. The lady at the front desk was very friendly as well as the concierge. My room was imaculate and very luxurious, compared to other hotels that I had stayed in on previous nights. There is nothing negative that I could possibly say about my 2 day stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank netty618
Chicago
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I visited Toronto with a bunch of buddies who do a yearly baseball trip. We stayed at the Renaissance because it was connected to the Skydome (Rogers Center). I must say from the moment I walked in and saw the lobby and lounge area I fell in love with this hotel. There is no other place that you can be in the lounge of your hotel and overlook a major league baseball game. You can come in and have a beer or two and take in some of the best scenery anywhere. Even when the game is not going on the lights to the Rogers Center are on and there always seems to be something going on. As for the rooms, I thought they were just fine. A comfortable bed with a nice bathroom and clean. The windows were large but needed to be washed. The location is second to none anyhwere in the city. We walked everywhere we need to go. Plenty of nightlife, restaurants and shopping close by. We stayed on the fifth floor where the walk to your room was like a maze but I did not mind at all because ti was so unique. We did catch a peek at the rooms that overlooked the stadium, the windows so open so you can hear the action. We did have the brunch one day, it was just OK. Bring your wallets when you go to Toronto, it is quite costly! I would stay here again, the hotel is very cool and not outdated at all as some reviews mention. The pool and fitness center were the best I have ever seen for a full service hotel not considering themselves as a spa or resort.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tadala
Raleigh, nc
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This hotel is clean and the front desk staff friendly and helpful. It is attached to the Rogers Centre (Sky Dome), and is right next to CN Tower, Union Station, Steam Whistle Brewery and a bridge away from the Path. We were upgraded (free) to a king suite, but the room was a long walk from the desk area. Fortunately, we were able to use the fire exit to arrive at the outside entrance to the right field entrance to the stadium and locations stated above. At $139 per night, I thought a bit pricey. Self Parking was $20/night and they charge for internet

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dgreene13
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a weekender in Toronto. I wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to major attractions. The hotel is connected to the Rogers Center, and right next door to the CN Tower. It's a $12 cab ride to Medieval Times / HarbourFronte, and walking distance to Kings St (many great bars and restaurants). We arrived early, but were able to check right in (at noon!!). Our room had a view of the stadium, and they were setting up for the Jonas Bro's concert! We were able to open the window & see the entire stadium. The hotel pool area was clean and nice! There's a hot tub, huge fitness center, and sauna. Towels are provided. The only confusing this about this hotel is parking, which is behind the Rogers Center and across the street. The king size bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! And the 8 accompaning down pillows helped add to the comfort. Great hotel, great value, great location. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple