“Great hotel”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Renaissance has a great location if you need to be at the convention center. The staff is great, rooms are spacious and comfortable. Bed was fantastic. The food at the in house restaurant was very good for breakfast and lunch. A little pricey but that's expected downtown. I'd stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at The Renaissance. Top drawer service all around. Great views of the stadium from the bar and restaurant filled with very knowledgable and friendly staff. One evening a lovely surprise bucket of local beer was waiting for me in the room, having been sent by Monika from concierge as a birthday treat. Very humbling indeed. Thanks to everyone involved for an excellent trip. Highly recommend, perfect location.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel while on personal business in Toronto. I got a fantastic rate off Hotwire that was much lower than I would value this hotel's quality at.

The lobby area is spacious, and I was greeted very attentively by the lady at the desk. This proactive, communicative service attitude applied to all staff I encountered during my time at the hotel.

I was given a junior suite which was massive, and overlooked the baseball field. The double-level layout was very convenient. The decor in the room was a bit dated and worn, however, as some others have mentioned. The bathroom was also a nice size and well-appointed.

The bed itself was alright, but unfortunately my sleep was a bit disturbed by the rattling of the ventilation system. Nothing I did to change the temperature seemed to stop it. Normally this sort of thing wouldn't bother me, but this night it seemed to.

The restaurant downstairs was alright, but quite pricey. Room service on the other hand (which I used for breakfast) was very reasonable compared to other hotels, with no extra charge except gratuity. The man who delivered it was beyond professional, and also deserves praise like the check-in staff.

Overall I have no problems recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank greg_91
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Thank you for an excellent staycation! The space was incredibly clean and well put together. The staff were great as well. De Juan was sure to ensure the needs of my sister and I were exceeded. He was genuinely kind and attentive. Thank you De-Juan for making our stay at the Renaissance an amazing one - We'll be back for sure!

The only reason for the 4 stars is that we were on the side of the train tracks and I happen to be a light sleeper.

Did not rate the Spa because we did not use it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2014

When we arrived the concierge did not tell us our room number, where the elevator was, where the pool was, what the process was with the parking.
Long walk to the room from the elevator.
The bath room had no vanity, there was only a pedestal sink, no place to put anything except a small table. The taps turned on and off very strangely. No fan.
When we went out of the underground parking we had to go back up stairs to validate our parking ticket. The attendant told us to pay him $7 to get out without the validation. He was clearly going to keep that $ for himself since we were already paying $50 for 2 nights to park. Shady.
Not worth the $350 for 2 nights it ends up costing for the cheapest room with tax and parking.
But it was the cheapest of the 4 stars so....

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen C
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Jen C,

Thank you for submitting your review. I wish that we had know during your stay that your room did not meet your needs. We have a variety of room types and could have perhaps had the opportunity to upgrade you to a room that better suited your preferences. I apologize that you did not enjoy the guestroom that you stayed in.
I have forwarded you concern about the parking to Rogers Centre for follow up and investigation. The experience you encountered with the attendant is not usual practise or acceptable.
We are in the process of renovating all of our guestrooms and public space. Once complete, I hope that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again for your feedback.

Best Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Renaissance is generally a good value.
There's a laundry list that on paper makes it a very compelling hotel:
The rooms are huge. It's location - right next to the CN Tower, the Rogers Centre and most of downtown - is great for tourists visiting Toronto. Even the hotel restaurant is decent and not over the top expensive. Paid WiFi covers 5 devices - a nice touch. There's an indoor pool and a decent gym. Even the bottom line - price - is at the sub CAD 200 range that is normally the stronghold of the less desirable.

Yet I was visiting on business. And as a business traveler I need peace, quiet and a good sleep.
The hotel is right on the railroad tracks, and while Toronto's rail service is generally quiet, I could hear the trains going by from my 7th floor room quite loud and clear. The hotel itself is set against the Rogers Center - the Toronto Blue Jays' stadium. As such, it stretches around the stadium with corridors that feel endless. Walking to the gym is a 5+ minute affair over two elevators and a walk. The interior decor - from the room to the corridors - feels grim. My room was cavernous with two flat screen televisions, but the furniture arrangement did not make sense. Electric outlets were placed in odd locations, and no hooks in a huge bathroom anywhere). Another big sin was the lack of an in-room safe. I need that far more than a fridge. In addition, the hotel is a bit detached from its surroundings. In frigid weather, you are stuck with the hotel's restaurant as you would probably not want to brave the elements.

In short - if you're traveling as a family - the Renaissance is probably great for you. If you're in Toronto on business and need a hotel where you can unwind, relax and have a quite moment and a good night sleep - stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a high floor close to the elevators. Breakfast at the hotel is
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank pace_ripley
RenaissanceTO, Front Office Manager at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Pace_Ripley,
Thank you for submitting your review with regards to your recent stay at the Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel. I am sorry that your stay fell short of your expectations and would like to apologize for inconvenience you suffered as a result of the commuter train traffic noise. We are currently in the process of upgrading our facility and soon all areas of our hotel will be upgraded.
We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional product when your travels bring you back to this area.
Adi Dewan
Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel located in the midst of several major venues in downtown Toronto provided us with everything we needed for our brief visit. Our primary objective, the Ripley's Aquarium, was within an easy walking distance which takes you along the base of the CN Tower. As were travelling with our twin 10 year old boys, the large pool was an important feature. The boys also enjoyed being able to view the inside of the Rogers Centre from the restaurant.

Service was acceptable. Our room was rather plain and starting to show signs of age but met our needs nicely. We saw many families on our floor but the room was quiet regardless. The beds were comfortable. There was an excellent selection with the breakfast buffet with a reasonable price for children.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BJW S
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear BJW S,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was ideal for the purpose of your visit. I am pleased to inform you that the hotel is currently undergoing renovations. All guestrooms and public spaces will be updated and refreshed soon.
Best Regards,