“good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Belfast, United Kingdom
“good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked my stay through hotwire,so price wasn't too high.Hotel was in good location,and my room had decent size.Airconditioning worked fine.
There was no power one afternoon,due to heavy downpour,but it was restored,and everything worked fine in the evening.
Staff were friendly and helpful,and food in the restaurant was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank smerfetka15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

So how many hotels do you that are attached to a baseball stadium? That was quirky enough to make us look for a deal for a long weekend (2for Toronto Indy Race weekend). If the baseball team isn't playing at home, the rooms are somewhat cheaper. As my husband is a Marriott club member, our king room was upgraded to a junior suite. Big surprise, I'm guessing that they weren't full that weekend. They do have some suites which overlook the field ($$$), not ours but that was okay because the restaurant overlooked it. We thought breakfast bar was a little pricey ($24 Canadian) but there were many different food items for all tastes. Turns out meal prices in Toronto are all pricey, so the hotels prices were comparable to the local places. My only quibble with the suite was that I thought the bathroom was too far from the bedroom. The living room area was very nice with a couch, 2 chairs and a desk plus a TV. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My son and I spent a couple nights here on our 'mom & baby' time out. He's 14. Lol
We loved it. Initially we booked this hotel for safety reasons (not wanting to venture out alone after the ball games) because my husband wasn't with us.
We are glad we did. The hotel is attached to where the Jays play. The staff are so friendly and absolutely care for your well being. Thank you for upgrading us! Our room overlooked centre field! It was a dream to stay here and the staff just made our trip all the better. The rooms were immaculate! Very good turn over. The only bad point was that we my husband couldn't be with us to enjoy the amazing upgrade! Remember to put your do not disturb sign out if you want to sleep in - the awesome housekeeping staff are eager to get in and clean/tidy for their guests. (Not a bad thing). Thank you so much for the dream stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Clifton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a good stay here again. Seems the age of the hotel is beginning to show through now. Service was good. The room was good and everything worked. Some of the fixtures are loose etc but still functioning. The restaurant was good. The club lounge was a little more crowded than it used to be. The selections were good a few hot items eggs bacon or sausage and an assortment of bred items and cereal.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
St. Pete Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Short and sweet... We came to town to see the Rays play. We stayed here for its central location and the fact it adjoins the Rogera Center and is next to the CN Tower. So many great eateries are walking distance plus baseball is next door or live through the restaurant window. This is a decent property but a weird design and awkward room layouts. Spacious and clean and priced right with a premier location. It's just not an elegant or breathtaking property. It's highly functional. Some of the front desk staff could improve their service levels. I a Gold Marriott traveler and this property struck me as average to slightly above avg.

• Stayed July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am HIGHLY disappointed!!! I stayed at the Renaissance Toronto Downtown with confidence knowing that my stay would be exceptional. My previous stays at Renaissance properties have been amazing until now. This hotel is very dated and needs to be thoroughly cleaned. When we arrived, we were placed in a room on the first floor. The beds and furniture were chipped and scrapped. The carpet was horrible. The lighting was depressing. The room was dusty. The view from our room was of the train track. I was totally caught off guard when I arrived in the room. It was nothing like other Renaissance properties I'd stayed in before. I was so disgusted with the room that I contacted guest services and told them of my complaints. They apologized and stated the hotel would be going through renovations later this year. They even changed our room to another location on the 10th floor as it was suppose to be better. (At least, management tried to make my stay more pleasurable.) The second room was a little better as it was a bit larger. However, the beds and furniture were still chipped and scrapped. The refrigerator was filthy. The bathroom was clearly dated and dimly lit. I came to the conclusion that all of the rooms were the same. The room looked nothing like their website portrayed. When I viewed the website before coming, I knew I had made a great choice. However, my actually experience was totally different. I am highly disappointed in the Renaissance. The property simply needs more upgrades and to be cleaned thoroughly.

Additionally, most hotels now offer FREE WIFI for guests. This hotel does not. I am happy to say that all Marriott properties are not representative of this one. After leaving this hotel in Toronto and heading to Montreal, I had the divine pleasure of staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain hotel. It was AMAZING...everything I could have wished for and more in a Marriott property. They even offered free WIFI! I'm in love!

Renaissance Toronto Downtown needs to take notes. When I visit Toronto again, I will not stay at the Renaissance unless it has proven to be up to the 4-star Renaissance standards that I am accustomed to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear ErickkaJ,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your stay did not measure up to your expectations. It sounds as though the team on duty during your stay tried to accomodate your needs with a room change to a higher floor. We always try to do our best by responding immediately to a guest concern. The vicinity of the trains are of course out of our control, as is the decor for the immediate future. Our team works diligently to upkeep and refurbish until our upcoming renovation. At such time, we will see a full refresh of the decor and furnishings throughout the hotel. I hope that you will return to experience our makeover.
Best Regards,
Andrea Copeland
Alliston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I were spending a weekend in Toronto to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel was great because it was located centrally to everything we were doing. It was a short walk to great restaurants or a short ride on the TTC to get to St. Lawrence market and the exhibition place.
The staff were all extremely friendly and went out of their way to say hello and ask how our stay was going.
Our room was amazing. We looked over the CN tower. Our room has a separate sleeping area with a king size bed and flat screen TV. The living room was very large. There was a hallway to the huge bathroom that included a jacuzzi tub, corner shower and double sink vanity. Everything was very clean.
The hotel pool was also very clean and nice.
The hallways are very long and you feel like you are in a maze when walking to your room!
Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple