“Baseball Fans Should Consider Staying at the Renaissance Hotel”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in the Rogers Centre from April 30 through May 3 in connection with three ballgames between the Blue Jays and the Red Sox. The Renaissance is a 7 minute walk from the hotel to the ballpark.

My room, which I purchased at a discount from Priceline, was very large, well stocked with toiletries and clean. Aside from the muffled roar of GO Trains hustling down the rails, there was no noise at all. I ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel at a restaurant that overlooked the ballpark. On one occasion, I sat at a table next to the young Japanese shortstop on the Blue Jays team. For what it's worth, he got one of the two hits against the Red Sox ace, Buchholz. Breakfast and lunch were just fine.

The hotel is about two miles from Billy Bishop Airport, where I flew on Porter Airlines. Unfortunately, Porter cancelled my 9 AM flight back home, which I believe was a deliberate decision by Porter to avoid flying a nearly empty plane. Shame on them! I'll take my business elsewhere.

The Renaissance, obviously, had nothing to do with the flight cancellation. I plan to use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I went for a quick couples' getaway (watched the game from the restaurant) but would easily go back with our young kids. Extremely versatile and family friendly hotel. Nice and clean room with Aveda products. Order room service too. The food was delicious and service was friendly and warm.

Room Tip: The only con is the rooms are far from the pool. Try and request something closer to the pool/fitnes...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Was excited to stay here as we love visiting Toronto. It's location is fabulous. Really thought it would be a classy place. It is outdated. We were on the 7th floor. The hallway decor was wallpaper that looked like yellow bricks, very institutional. Felt like I was in a prison. Room was yellow too. Bed was comfortable. The view was of a metal support used to hold up the Rogers Centre and the middle part of CN tower. Luckily we didn't stay in the room much. There were lots of great restaurants around but not many for breakfast. The hotel breakfast was expensive. We did stay for $105 through Priceline. A bonus as I would never pay the $189.99+ regular rate. There are so many better hotels in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I live in Toronto so the only time I get to stay and live in our hotels would be business meetings. I stayed here for one night during our 2-day meeting and it was better than I expected (much better!). From the photos and the age of the hotel, I was expecting it to be similar to the Fairmont Royal York that's old and needs upgrades, but no... it was actually very new and modern.

My room was A LOT bigger than any other hotel room I've had in the Toronto area. It had a queen size bed with a chair and a large desk. There's tons of room between the bed, desk, chair and TV and a large closet space. I was so surprised since I don't usually see such an open room for one person. My washroom was also large and spacious. Plenty of counter space, a lot of room between the toilet/shower and sink and a large mirror.

My view wasn't the best given that I was only on the 5th floor and had a view of an alley. I didn't mind because I wasn't here to see a game or experience the city, but it was enough. The location is great too for visitors looking to see the major sites and convenient for walking/subway/bus etc.

I would definitely recommend this as an affordable hotel stay for people visiting Toronto. Much better than the Fairmont Royal York but not as expensive as Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. The location is great and it's good for families (with the space) and the convenience.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room with a better view of the stadium/city if possible. No upgrades are necessary b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the Toronto Renaissance for the Blue Jays home opener. There was no place for me to park in the hotel parking lot, but they eventually found me a spot in the valet area...I was just waiting for my car to be towed, but that luckily never happened.

The staff was nice during check in. My room was a typical room. Nothing exciting, but clean and comfortable. But when I tried to go to sleep, I heard rumbling frequently that kept me awake. The room is right next to the train tracks.

When I noted that I was disappointed with the room at check out, the woman informed me that 'I should get a higher room next time'. I could not speak to a manager because the manager was not available at the moment. So when I got home I used the email management has listed on THIS website. I have not heard a response several weeks later. I also had to leave multiple messages regarding another issue with the hotel and never received a response.

I was disappointed because the staff had been pleasant and helpful up to that point. I'm sure this is not the first time poor location of a hotel room was an issue for a guest. Then they had no interest in responding to me after I had spent a lot of money on a hotel room I couldn't sleep in.

Anyway, if you get a room, get one one the field side of the hall, or at least on higher floors, and this won't be an issue for you, I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the field side and/or higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ohiodude
Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you like to watch the baseball game then Its the perfect hotel for you .Some rooms have a perfect stadium view
Concierge there was not really helpful/very rude .I got a room facing the tren station so I couldnt sleep really well.There is a strange smell in the lobby [probably the smell is coming from the restaurant not sure what it s but it was pretty for a hotel that is listed 4 stars }

Being a gold member at the marriott I was expecting a better room but they were busy cause of the game .I completely understand that renaissance need to make money but members rewards are also important .I will not return to this hotel .I had better treatment with ritz carlton wellington street west using my rewards .

I will give a rating of 3 but definitely deserve a 2 stars :( cause of smelly lobby and average room

Room Tip: the location isnt really convenient :(.rooms are noisy :(
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

There is no other hotel like it. Open up your window and you are overlooking the ball park. In fact, it is the back wall of the ball park! Great location for tourism. You can walk to the tower and many other tourist sites. Staff is extra kind. Bathroom, although large, is a bit tired.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Richard Y,
Thank you for your rave review. We are one of a kind for sure and embrace our unique qualities. I'm pleased to hear that our team took care of you. I am also delighted to inform you that updates and change are in the near future.
Regards,