New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
Ranked #25 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Canada
“Hotel is too tired and needs some urgent TLC...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Toronto Renaissance for our anniversary and to attend a concert at the ACC. We were very disappointed with the hotel. We were found the decor and furnishings very tired and lacking appeal. The bathroom was dirty, outdated, even the round/worn tap knobs were a challenge to operate. The HVAC was noisy and could not be regulated. Even the coffee cups were paper rather than ceramic or glass. The vending machines were not working properly and amenities were far less than convenient. Access to the Internet also required a call to learn as a Rewards member, how we have to first accept a usage fee to be later reversed; how unnecessarily complicated. I would neither recommend to others or stay there again until it's updated or improved. The staff were pleasant but seemed disengaged and didn't offer information until they were asked. Overall this was very disappointing I'm sorry to say and not what I wold expect from a Marriott.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a nicer room, I'd hate to have seen a standard room! The bed was nice as we...
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
RenaissanceTO, Director of Room Operations at Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear MaxFubar,
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize that your stay did not measure up to your expectations. That is never our intention. I have relayed your comments to the appropriate department heads for investigation and follow up.
We are anticipating changes in the decor and design to come, and hope that you will try us again in the future. We are conveniently located near to the ACC.
Best Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bancroft, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We came in to Toronto on the train the morning of the February 8th 2013 blizzard. We were able to get almost all of the way to this hotel out of the weather by taking the Skywalk. Although we were arriving at 11 AM we were able to check into our rooms without delay. This hotel is nicely located to the all of the major attractions in downtown Toronto, the CN Tower, Toronto Convention Centre and the Entertainment district are all within steps of hotel door and The Rogers Centre (Skydome) is actually attached to the hotel with some rooms giving views of the playing surface. Reasonably priced for Toronto as well.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We booked this via Hotwire so I didn't know what hotel I had until I had paid. Wasn't sure what to expect when I saw it was attached to the Rogers Centre, but it was in an excellent location for an event we were attending. And then was completely and utterly pleased and surprised by how good the hotel was, the staff was exceptional, when I called to make sure we could get a king, we were upgraded to a large room with living room area and full jacuzzi; had pre ordered wine and cheese to be in room on arrival and hospitality staff called up to make sure we were happy with the selection. Room was clean, bar overlooking the stadium was cool. Everyone we encountered was professional and pleasant. Really great stay, highly recommend it.

Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Renaissance is a fun hotel, located in the Rogers Arena right next to the sky tower. My room had a view of center field. The rooms are spacious, with two levels. The first level has the bathroom and bed. The second level is a sitting area with desk, sofa, TV and of course the view of the field. The hotel is close to the convention center but is several blocks from good restaurants. It was quite cold when I was there so I stayed in for dinner and was very pleasantly surprised. Both the breakfast and dinner meals I had were excellent. I would definitely return to this hotel when I'm in the area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Luv2g0lf
Dunnville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and her friends stayed Thursday night to attend the OLA Conference on Friday. They had an amazing time and loved everything the hotel had to offer. I came to Toronto on Friday, my wife and I stayed overnight at the Renaissance Downtown (we love it there!). The staff are always helpful, the rooms are clean and well appointed. The only thing I would suggest is to pull up out front and check-in, finding out where their parking is, and paying the $20. (I parked in the lot underground, just off Navy Wharf Court, and could only pay to 7am. I thought if I overstayed (who's going to go pay for more parking at 7am?) they'd charge me the maximum daily rate of $15/day. I went down at 8am and there was a $75 ticket!! ($42 if paid in 7 days). This is not the hotels fault, but a lack of reasonable parking in the area.)

Room Tip: The restaurant just off the lobby (Arriba) is fantastic. The breakfast buffet at $18 is worth every...
1 Thank Jared V
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a weekend to Toronto for our anniversary and checked in late because we got stuck for the night in a Buffalo snow storm. Not only did the Renaissance let us check in (which they didn't have to do, since we were a day late), but they upgraded our room to look over the Blue Jays ball park and sent snacks and hot chocolate! The room was absolutely amazing, and my boyfriend (being a HUGE baseball fan) would have been happy just staring at the park out the window all weekend! The room was extremely clean and had an AMAZING bathroom.

I cannot express enough how helpful and hospitable the Renaissance staff was. I wish there was a higher review than "Excellent." From getting us all checked in and settled, to giving directions and suggesting things to do in the city, we felt like we were at home with family. I travel to Toronto quite often and I have stayed in some really nice hotels, but I can honestly say that after this weekend, I will NEVER stay in a different hotel in Toronto!

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel was an amazing welcome to Canada, with a great location... Right next to CN Tower, and a few minutes walk from the Union Rail Station. Upon arrival we were given an upgrade to an executive suite, very nice, much larger than standard european rooms.

Restaurant/ bar staff were fantastic, a great sense of humour, but also fantastic service, they were also more than obliging in helping us navigate the city of Toronto. Also fantastic views of the Rogers Centre...

Out of the 5 hotels i stayed in in Canada, this one was by far the best for service.

Only two slight grumbles... A nice coffee maker, but no ceramic mugs... just paper ones (good to go style) not very classy for a 5*. Also the decor although well maintained appeared to be slightly dated in the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple